cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frustrated with my RV purchase.

TwoManyToyz
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used 2015 5er. It's nice, kept in nice condition. I think I got a pretty good deal. BUT

Why don't today's RV's come with all the extras that a sane person would think it should come with?

Since I took ownership of my home away from home I have bought, Water pressure regulator, Surge protector, leveling sensor, charcoal filters, micro leg adjuster, hitch pin tripod and the list goes on.

The source of my rant is why don't these things come standard on newer RV's. I realize it's not "needed", but aren't these things good practice? If your going to sell theses things new for $35k and up, and often way up $$$. Isn't there enough margin for some of these safety devices?

OK I'm feeling better now, just had to vent.

Thanks
Kevin
41 REPLIES 41

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
TwoManyToyz wrote:
I bought a used 2015 5er. It's nice, kept in nice condition. I think I got a pretty good deal. BUT

Why don't today's RV's come with all the extras that a sane person would think it should come with?

Since I took ownership of my home away from home I have bought, Water pressure regulator, Surge protector, leveling sensor, charcoal filters, micro leg adjuster, hitch pin tripod and the list goes on.

The source of my rant is why don't these things come standard on newer RV's. I realize it's not "needed", but aren't these things good practice? If your going to sell theses things new for $35k and up, and often way up $$$. Isn't there enough margin for some of these safety devices?

OK I'm feeling better now, just had to vent.

Thanks
Kevin

I know what you mean, buy a pick-up and no step bars, bed liner, floor mats, bed topper and the list goes on.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
TwoManyToyz wrote:
The source of my rant is why don't these things come standard on newer RV's.

COST.

....And only beginning RVers need that stuff. The rest of us already have it, unless were were "insane" enough to let it go when we sold / traded our RV when it came time to upgrade to a different rig.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Adding items, not everyone wants, then adding a 25-35% margin to those extras simply does not make sence. The consumer can purchase what they want at a lower cost. Believing the dealer should throw these extras in for free, not knowing if buyer actually wants them is not going to ever happen.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the free stuff(aka starter kit) is cheap junk anyways.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Good point BarabooBob. Our new tt did come with a sewer hose. Of course it was a super cheap one, and we already had a good hose, so into the garbage it went. Hope I didnโ€™t pay too much for it.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Expecting everything to be included is about the same as buying a motorcycle and expecting a new helmet, leather jacket, boots, and gloves. Most people on this forum have had previous RV's and already own most of the stuff that they need to set up their unit. When I bought my first TT I had already owned unknown numbers if tents, 2 pop-ups, and one RV . I don't need any more camping equipment except the new TT. I just moved my "stuff" to my new TT. Why would I want the dealer to inflate my purchase price to provide another set of stuff.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
OP, if this is the worst complaint you have with a new/new to you RV, you are doing better than 95% of the posters here. The main answer is $$. You'll find everything in this industry comes down to $$. And it gets far worse than no water pressure regulator. These things are built with the absolute cheapest materials by workers being paid to slap them together as quickly as possible.

As for the new v used that has worked its way into this thread I'm in the new camp and thank all those of you perpetuating the "let someone else take the hit" misnomer. The majority of the people complaining overpaid greatly at time of initial purchase. When that occurs, yes, they do "depreciate" like crazy. If you buy right they don't depreciate any worse than when you buy used. My last TT sold quickly on CL for 75% of what I paid for it after 4 years of use. I'm about 4 years into my current 5th wheel and, from looking around at ads, I'm in a similar spot. Similar used units are priced at about 70-80% of what I paid.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah out of all those, we only have the regulator and a few surge protectors (which we also had to buy for our house). Oh and a little handheld level as part of our normal toolkit that we keep in the camper, but we have auto-leveling so it's not really necessary most of the time.

We boondock a lot so even stuff like the regulator and the surge protectors barely get used. I wouldn't mind a water filter on the sink to make the tank water taste a bit better but we usually just stick to bottled water.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
TwoManyToyz wrote:
...Water pressure regulator, Surge protector, leveling sensor, charcoal filters, micro leg adjuster, hitch pin tripod and the list goes on...

Of those things you listed, I don't have, need, or want a single one. So I guess I'm glad I did not have to pay for them.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
padredw wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Water pressure regulator, Surge protector, leveling sensor, charcoal filters, micro leg adjuster, hitch pin tripod and the list goes on.

Kevin, yours is a friendly post and this one is intended to be. I've been traveling in a fifth wheel for over 20 year (four different rigs). I would look at it this way, you have gained some good information:

Most important, you've saved yourself some money and a lot of trouble by knowing that the hitch pin tripod does not seem to help most of us and the one we have is stored away in the garage.

And the water pressure regulator is better at the city water hookup, not on the RV.

Same for the surge protector because some of us want the portable model rather than the built in model.

That leaves only the leveling sensor and the micro leg adjuster which many I must admit I don't recognize.

I would venture to say that

with experience you will find the items you have mentioned are probably better considered optional with each owner.

Just my thoughts.

X10

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
We changed out the new suspension an pin box from the Lippert (LCI) product to a MorRyde Suspension an pin box an added X-factor cross members because we thought they were a better product, we bought slide toppers for our slides because I didn't want to climb up on the roof to sweep off the slides ... They gave us a chap sewer hose that we replaced with a more expensive sewer hose an bought an extension for such as well, all this on a new trailer in one year...

Was the new suspension a pin box a must, not really, was the sewer hose needed, yes, was the slide toppers needed yes, do I use the king pin tri pod I bought years ago, no, did I buy lago blocks, no, I use out 8X10 wooden blocks I have had for years if I need them ...

So on a brand new trailer we spent over $2500 dollars more above the price of the trailer in upgrades, but I have to tell you for what we paid for the trailer an the upgrades we still came up far less in overall price that what the MSRP was an well below what the high end trailers with everything we added wanted with them on ...

Safe Travels ๐Ÿ™‚

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Wants and needs lol I just bought a new high country 65000 ,my needs are shocks. That's another 1000 from the dealer just to stop some of the bouncing while traveling. maybe awning toppers, cant imagine what that's going to cost.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lynnmor wrote:
Veebyes wrote:

This is one of the reasons why it is best to buy a lightly used almost new unit instead of a new one. In the first year all of those goodies get bought & all the bugs have been worked out too.

This gets repeated all the time, but I don't agree. Just watch and listen to the average RV owner and you will understand what I am talking about. Even on this forum, that is made up of mostly enthusiasts, many abuse their RVs with poor jacking, leveling and maintenance procedures. When someone points out a weakness of imperfection, the blame game will start immediately. Yes, cosmetic things may get fixed.

We've had excellent luck buying used. I do agree with reading some of the forums as you will find as many stories of folks buying new and spending most of the first year with it in the shop getting repaired and not out camping.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When you buy a new computer why don't they come with manuals any more? When you buy a new television why doesn't it come with a user's manual?

They want you 5o go to the internet and download a manual, but where in the world and how the hhhh do you do that?

You buy a new truck and it doesn't have a hitch.

You buy a toaster, but you have to buy the bread separate.

You buy a house and you have to supply your own toilet paper. Shouldn't the house come equipped with 75 years of certified approved toilet paper?