Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Frustrated with my RV purchase.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Frustrated with my RV purchase.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
TwoManyToyz

Sarasota

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 02:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a used 2015 5er. It's nice, kept in nice condition. I think I got a pretty good deal. BUT

Why don't today's RV's come with all the extras that a sane person would think it should come with?

Since I took ownership of my home away from home I have bought, Water pressure regulator, Surge protector, leveling sensor, charcoal filters, micro leg adjuster, hitch pin tripod and the list goes on.

The source of my rant is why don't these things come standard on newer RV's. I realize it's not "needed", but aren't these things good practice? If your going to sell theses things new for $35k and up, and often way up $$$. Isn't there enough margin for some of these safety devices?

OK I'm feeling better now, just had to vent.

Thanks
Kevin

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 03:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's probably because for some these items are "must haves" and others couldn't care less. Besides, it gives the rv dealership the opportunity to sell you the extras. You can always negotiate these into the sale when buying from them.

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/18 04:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does a dealer or seller know what a buyer needs or wants??

cpaulsen

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just sold my 5th. It had all of the things you mention (not a tri-pod) and more. Garbage disposal, electric toilet, electric marble stove top cover. Stickered at $169K in 2014. I let it go for $35K. It might be at Lazy Days.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/18 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

It's probably because for some these items are "must haves" and others couldn't care less.

I think thats a real good answer. For me I dont care about micro leg adjust, leveling sensor, or tripod. I did the tripod routine a while back but JT strongarms worked better. Leveling sensor? I use a level stuck on the side and front of the trailer. Im not that particular that it needs to be 100% level.

The other things folks will debate on. Some would never plug into a pedestal without a surge protector and others will say they camped for 30yrs and never used one.

Your trailer is sold that right off the lot you can go out and camp and be self sufficient though it may not be the way you like it.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Toolguy5

Columbia Station, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same reason a truck does not come with a fifth hitch, or a tonnue cover. Not everybody wants or needs them.

Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2018 Jayco Northpoint 387 RDFS
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/18 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we upgraded from a 32' travel trailer and bought our first 5th wheel last Spring, I bought a few things that I thought I "Needed". Most turned out to be wants. I could have gone without them. But one "Need", the Tripod turned out to be a complete waste of money. It wasn't needed and now it's not even wanted! I feel no difference whatsoever whether it's in place or left at home. In your list of "Needs" I see only a couple I would classify as "Needs". The Water pressure regulator and Surge protector. Although I've not had any electrical issue where I was glad I had the surge protector, it's always a good thing to have in place. The Water Pressure regulator is a real "Need" for me. We had a leak from the pressure being too high one time when I forgot to put it on at a campground. Fortunately the leak was in the pass through storage area and I was able to put a bucket under where it was dripping and no damage was done.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Certainly the items you listed are considered options (some of them good ones)..Including them would also certainly raise the price of the unit.

Are RV's also suppose to come standard with utensils and the pantry and frig stocked with food?

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/18 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm happy you feel better now, but seriously, some of those things aren't need by everyone, and the list price of a new unit would increase unnecessarily.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/18 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TwoManyToyz wrote:

Since I took ownership of my home away from home I have bought, Water pressure regulator, Surge protector, leveling sensor, charcoal filters, micro leg adjuster, hitch pin tripod and the list goes on.

- Usually use the tank so don't care about the pressure regulator
- I have a small level so don't need a sensor
- Wife tried to put charcoal in my undies but it didn't seem to help.
- Don't even know what a micro leg adjuster is.
- We have a hitch pin tripod but kept it from the last trailer (probably would go strong arms if needed to buy)

So it hardly seems to be universal needs.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Frustrated with my RV purchase.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS