cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Through Memphis

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
I will be traveling from Springfield, MO to just past Memphis in a few weeks and was wondering about a couple of routes.

Having never gone through this area I am unfamiliar with best routes to take. I have planned a fuel stop in West Memphis, AK and then will have a couple of options to get back on the road. One is to take I-55 right to my destination and the other is to take I-40 to I-69 to I-55. They are similar in distance but they cross the Mississippi a few miles apart. Not sure if one is better than the other as far as overall travel goes.

Also any suggestions on the overall trip are gladly accepted. We will be traveling sometime the first week of December, leaving Springfield, MO and eventually ending up near Gainesville, FL (Williston, actually). I definitely want to avoid I-75 near Atlanta so my plan, at this time, is to go through Southaven, MS on toward Montgomery, AL and across I-10 after that. I drive a 37 ft gasser with a toad so my options for fuel are somewhat limited - affecting my route choices.

Thoughts?

BTW, thanks for all the help that everyone here provides. I ask a lot of questions and I do appreciate the answers.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
11 REPLIES 11

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just what is your destination? From Springfield to western Tennessee, I like to use US-60, to I-55 for destinations in eastern Arkansas or eastern Missouri, to US-51 for destinations in western Tennessee. US-60 is not limited access, but it is mostly four-lane divided. Shorter than dropping down to I-40, but not necessarily faster, still a lot faster than following US-412, which is even more direct but much slower traveling.

My route choices in that direction are all about avoiding the mess in West Memphis, but when really in a hurry, coming from Fort Smith (not Springfield) I will take I-40, do the extra miles, deal with the urban and suburban congestion, because the Interstate is faster, providing someone doesn't do something stupid to turn it into a parking lot.

From West Memphis, I've usually crossed into Tennessee on the I-40 bridge, as my destination would be Nashville or beyond. My time through, trying to connect to I-22, I used the I-55/US-61 bridge, found traffic at almost standstill on the Tennessee side, but if your destination is south side of Memphis, that is still the best way to go.

FWIW, I try to never get off the highway in West Memphis, the congestion on service roads is unbelievable. If I anticipate a fuel stop or rest stop along I-40, I will do that in Brinkley or Forrest City.

Unless the Memphis area stop is a necessity, from Springfield to Florida I would not go anywhere near Memphis. My Gulf Coast or Florida route involves taking I-40 to Little Rock, I-530 to Pine Bluff, US-65 to Lake Village, picking up US-82 to cross the Mississippi at Greenville. There are several routes off of 82 to the Gulf Coast, I like US-49 going from Indianola to Gulfport, but if actually headed toward Florida I would probably take US-98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile. Once again, these US numbered highways are mostly four-lane, mostly divided, but not limited access and you do have to slow down for some towns.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Any of the Interstates are easy driving. You won't have any issues with either route. That said, I've got a 45' diesel with toad and stay off the interstates. Unless you're in a hurry and need to be in Williston on a particular date, I'd recommend taking back roads through Memphis etc. Lots of neat things to see and do in the smaller cities along the route. I've found any of the state highways to be just as easy to maneuver as the interstates. Slower, yes, be easy driving. My blog, below, has information about Memphis, Tupelo etc. etc. Enjoy the trip...Dennis
Dennis,

I could not easily navigate your blog on my Smartphone, so forgive the question;
Do you (or anyone here) have experienced Tom Sawyer RV Park, West Memphis, Arkansas on the Mississippi River?

.Just wondering what your stay/s were like, pricing packages (weekly) sights you saw in Memphis, restaurants, etc?

.Thank you!

RoaminRichards
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Florida and we spend time traveling between Orlando & St. Louis. I also agree with refueling outside Memphis as their are several places to stop that can handle your coach. We do not use Interstates unless it is necessary for short travel.You can follow I-55 south to Winona, MS then east on US 82 to Alt. US 45 south to Meridian, MS. Take I-20 east to US 80 to Montgomery. Pick up US 231 south. We use US 231 between I-10 and Montgomery. US 231 is all four lane and good road. When you get to I-10 follow it to US 19 at exit 225. US 19 is four lane road and will take you to Perry, FL. Pick up US 98 south out of Perry to Chiefland, FL. Take Alt. US 27 from Chiefland to your destination in Willison . All good road with minor traffic. Plenty of places along the way to refuel.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 37 ft. travel trailer with my gas 2500HD and have the same problem with gas stations. I am near 58 ft. long connected and stations are just not accommodating to that length usually. I start looking at 1/2 tank and take any opportunity to fill up when I come across it, even at 1/4 tank.

Looking at the map you might be better off just staying on 55. Navigating Memphis is usually not that terrible just stay away from rush hour times. Been thru many times on 40 with only one back up issue due to a wreck. When time is not an issue we tend to take secondary roads and enjoy it more. Gas is usually easier to find some place I can get into also.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
We travel 65 south to 62 east to 63 east to 555 to 55 south to 40

Mostly new 4 lane, have traveled many many times with our 40'er
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Try 40 to 540 North thru Fayettville and it will take you where you want to go. Good roads and a nice scenic drive and by the way there is a Pilot on 40 after you pass the exit for 540. Not to far to fuel up and head back to the exit. A couple of things I will tell you is you go in the Boston Mountains and there is a tunnel that you go thru and off the top of my head I do not know the height limit.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikemc53 wrote:
I would prefer to fuel somewhere other than Memphis but my problem is accessibility. When I pulled a trailer with my diesel truck it was easy. Any truck stop was easily accessed. Now I have a gasser with toad and many stations are just not accessible for this set-up. If I know, going in, that there are some decent stations that will allow me to skip Memphis gas, I will take that any day.

I understand that which is why I recommended fueling somewhere other than W Memphis. You'll find those stations congested. A lot of traffic and not exactly the easiest on and off the interstate due to traffic and some routing. You'll find stations north and south of Memphis that aren't as congested. There are stations all along I-55 that are a lot easier to get into and out of without the congestion of the truck stops in West Memphis.
South of Sikeston MO a few miles, about 125 miles north of Memphis, all at the same exit are a Loves, TA, and a Flying J. The Flying J, can't recall about the others, has a dedicated RV gas and diesel pump on the west side of the lot. They're all easy in and out.
South of Memphis on I-55 there are 3 or 4 right at the Senatobia exit that aren't too bad for gassers if they're not overly busy.
If you're going from Memphis to Birmingham there's a Shell(?) at the Byhalia Exit that's got plenty of room.
Been taking that route for almost 25 years, at least twice a year, in both gassers and diesels.
Camped in every state

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
I would prefer to fuel somewhere other than Memphis but my problem is accessibility. When I pulled a trailer with my diesel truck it was easy. Any truck stop was easily accessed. Now I have a gasser with toad and many stations are just not accessible for this set-up. If I know, going in, that there are some decent stations that will allow me to skip Memphis gas, I will take that any day.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we go thru Memphis I prefer to I-55 to I-40 to I-240 then I-240 to I-55. I've done I-55 all the way thru Memphis but I-40/I-240 seems to move a bit easier. Avoid work traffic times for either. Distance is about the same.
As far as fueling in West Memphis there are plenty of stations but traffic can be congested. You might consider fueling before you get to W Memphis or waiting until you get south of Memphis a bit.
I've driven from Montgomery to Dothan on 231 a few times. Not too bad going.
Camped in every state

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We came through Memphis last Sunday, we stayed on I-55, we were heading for Louisiana from Indiana. We came through Sunday morning about 7:30 local time and traffic was Nill. However, it’s 4 lane on each side in places, which makes me think on a work day, during prime hours, it must be a nightmare driving through there. Even with our Tom Tom, we still missed one spot where I-55 viewed right and we kept going straight, and we had virtually no traffic to deal with, and we still missed it. So just keep your eyes open and don’t get to talking and rubber necking site seeing when driving through and you’ll be fine.

I don’t know about the other routes.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any of the Interstates are easy driving. You won't have any issues with either route. That said, I've got a 45' diesel with toad and stay off the interstates. Unless you're in a hurry and need to be in Williston on a particular date, I'd recommend taking back roads through Memphis etc. Lots of neat things to see and do in the smaller cities along the route. I've found any of the state highways to be just as easy to maneuver as the interstates. Slower, yes, be easy driving. My blog, below, has information about Memphis, Tupelo etc. etc. Enjoy the trip...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG