cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee step in line fuse? UPDATE,repair completed

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
So my 09 Cambria kwikee step will not retract. Using their troubleshooting guide i have been able to jump the wiring at the 4 way pin connection and retract and extend it.

I have checked the different procedures in the manual and they speak of an in line fuse. I have checked under the hood of the coach and all fuses are good there.The wires go into a loom and disappear into the maze under the frame rails.

Is there another fuse panel for the "house" side of the coach OTHER than the one mounted on the side of the cabinetry as you enter the coach. That panel is labeled for 'fridge and heater etc. All fuses check out there. Did they hide another panel under the dash somewhere, I removed the kick panel on the driver's side and looked up by the steering wheel etc, no luck so far.
8 REPLIES 8

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

Well there is the culprit. The magnetic door switch had a broken wire on one side of the switch,that was why I had no ground to the step. It works fine now.

Thanks to all who chimed in with suggestions.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
pauldub wrote:
It can be very helpful to download the wiring diagrams from the Winnie webside. My '03 Winnie has a circuit breaker for the step power and it's located in a storage bay. Your's may be similar.

Yes, thanks Paul. Yesterday i tested my incoming wiring and have no ground on the brown wire, that is coming off a magnetic door switch from under the coach, anxious to get under there today to check that out.

i found the panel you speak of AND if you remove the cover there are two fuses coming off the solenoids mounted back there. That was interesting.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
It can be very helpful to download the wiring diagrams from the Winnie webside. My '03 Winnie has a circuit breaker for the step power and it's located in a storage bay. Your's may be similar.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Make it simple.
1. Go to the 4 wire quick connect at the step
2. Large Red wire should have 12 volts all the time. IF NOT, then trace to where that wire is indeed fused
3. White wire should have 12 volts all the time. IF NOT, find the inside ON/OFF step switch and make sure it is turned ON, IF NO 12 volt power if that switch is OFF or ON, trace back to find the blown fuse.
4. The YELLOW wire is ONLY HOT when the Engine is ON and is NOT NEEDED for standard step operation
5. The BROWN wire comes from the Step magnet or pin switch in the entry door frame. IF you have 12 volts on the White and RED, jump that brown wire to ground and release, if the steps do not function, then the Step magnetic/pin switch wiring has a problem.
6. Starting with this checklist will narrow down what to find and save time. Doug

PS. HOW did you check the various fuses you found?

OK, finally found the time to check the wiring( imagine that leaving in 3 days and found the time) anyway, there is power to the white and red wire at the connection coming from the coach. There is no ground coming through the brown wire. A troubleshooting guide said to check for 12 volts between the brown wire (coach side) and red wire (coach side) nope, nothing.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is to follow Doug's quick check list first, it's a hugh time saver overall.

I have seen the step fuses in a variety of places, near the on off switch near the entry, in the jumble usually found under the dash cowling, in the area in front of the firewall and in house installed fuse panels that mimic or are exactly the same as the chassis mfg used. Page 9 of the #888 manual shows three fuses, they do get scattered around and are sometimes hooked up differently that the schematic shows. Finding them is sometimes a **** shoot.

In my limited experience, in order I have found failure most often in the motor and then in the magnetic door switch. I guess a blown fuse is not out of the question but I've not heard of even one, the controllers and ground connections are seldom the problem in my experience.

Do an advanced search of dougrainer posts and you'll find hundreds of posts very similar to the one he made in this thread. He is experienced.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug
To check fuses I use continuity between each exposed pin on the fuse, I do not remove and visually inspect each one.
Michael,
That may be the case with mine. I can get it to operate using jumper wires. On to another adventure then will check it out when I return.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When the Kwikee step on our Class C motorhome wouldn't extend, I was never able to find an inline fuse. In our case, the problem was the motor, which was easily fixed with a new motor. If I recall correctly, if you are able to get the step to retract and extend while going directly to the battery, the issue is with the control board.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Make it simple.
1. Go to the 4 wire quick connect at the step
2. Large Red wire should have 12 volts all the time. IF NOT, then trace to where that wire is indeed fused
3. White wire should have 12 volts all the time. IF NOT, find the inside ON/OFF step switch and make sure it is turned ON, IF NO 12 volt power if that switch is OFF or ON, trace back to find the blown fuse.
4. The YELLOW wire is ONLY HOT when the Engine is ON and is NOT NEEDED for standard step operation
5. The BROWN wire comes from the Step magnet or pin switch in the entry door frame. IF you have 12 volts on the White and RED, jump that brown wire to ground and release, if the steps do not function, then the Step magnetic/pin switch wiring has a problem.
6. Starting with this checklist will narrow down what to find and save time. Doug

PS. HOW did you check the various fuses you found?