cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

safe/temp portable sat mount on roof ideas

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
The area we're headed has lots of obstructions so I'll have to get my Pathfinder X2 up high. Our roof is not fiberglass, and is rounded. Any good ideas on how to put the dish up there for 5 months without the weather taking it off, or running the roof material?
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually
27 REPLIES 27

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That mount is designed for the specific foot pattern of the X1 and is not compatible with the X2. However, that does not mean you might not be able to jury rig that base to hold your X2. It will likely involve using the existing "tent stake" holes in the base and running some cords in, under and around that ladder mount base. The other initial problem you will encounter is that the Pathway X2 is substantially larger and will likely not fit between the arms of the ladder so it will have to be mounted pretty high (if that's possible). Let us know if you have any luck but that's an expensive experiment. Maybe you can return it if you can't find a way to make it work.
A couple of bungees and the ladder would likely work just as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

drgslayr
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking at pictures I am not sure why this is only listed for the X1. But I would try making this work vs taking a chance on damaging my roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-MT-4000-Pathway-Satellite-Antennas/dp/B01EYGL1OY

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I made a mount out of PVC and would bungie it to the roof ladder. Worked great and never moved.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have it mounted on one of the slides, strapped so it won't move... but I think I need just a little more height so I'm going to use a couple boards, strapped down to the center air, then plant the dome on that and screw it down to the boards so it can't blow off... it'll take a couple days.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The OP was asking about mounting a dome, not a tripod.

Would you like me to draw a dome instead of a tri pod??? Either way what I drew would work just fine.

Still waiting an answer what was so wrong with my option.

Just looked it up, I would NOT consider it a DOME.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP was asking about mounting a dome, not a tripod.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look on the internet there are several examples of antennas using a flagpole mounted to the rear ladder and the antenna is attached to that. Just another option.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill.Satellite wrote:

I would never recommend anything even close to that being mounted on the roof of an RV. However, that's the great thing about an open forum, all opinions (constructive) are welcome.

Maybe you could say WHY You would not???

Here is my reasons how it would be perfectly acceptable.

The 2xโ€™s would support over several roof trusses and the rubber Matt would keep them from damaging the roof. This is basically how a dish is added to a flat roof on a commercial building. The cinder blocks would keep everything solid.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
The OP has a "ROUNDED" roof.

I would lay a heavy rubber matt down. I would Male an assembly from 2x4's that allows for a couple cinder blocks on each side.

Sumpin like this.

I would never recommend anything even close to that being mounted on the roof of an RV. However, that's the great thing about an open forum, all opinions (constructive) are welcome.

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Off to Lowes sometime today. We'll see how it goes. Thx for advise.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP has a "ROUNDED" roof.

I would lay a heavy rubber matt down. I would Male an assembly from 2x4's that allows for a couple cinder blocks on each side.

Sumpin like this.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
WA should be substantially easier to access that far West.

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
So, tried it on one of the slides... works great but with the eastern arc, we're in Surprise, west of Phoenix... so tomorrow going to the air conditioner... one roof line is giving me fits. I wonder how low the western arc is.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We camp mostly in State and County Parks, will have small trees on occasion cause signal problems so stick in on the roof. With winds having it strapped down on a rubber roof is pretty limited so Iโ€™m looking at add a platform to part of the roof rack or add a ladder mount.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB