Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnets to hold open my cargo doors

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Here's another easy upgrade:

Installing magnets to hold the cargo doors open.

These are used at the factory on later model units than what I have. Mine is a 2015. I think 2016 or 17 is when Northwood starting using magnets
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
9 REPLIES 9

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I did the same upgrade using white magnet on my other RV...

WHITE Magnets for the cargo doors

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
A couple of hints:

1) I didn't remove the existing latch to hold the door open, no real reason to remove it and it still is there if needed.

I left it(them) in place at the other doors.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
Amazon magnet latch

No holes, use stainless screws to mount with a little silicone in screw hole to keep water out.

or, use 3M VHB tape AND the adhesion promoter. No screw holes,

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_5?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=3m+4298+adhesion+promoter&sprefix=3m+42%2Cautomotive%2C195&crid=2BA68KULF7XTE
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon magnet latch

No holes, use stainless screws to mount with a little silicone in screw hole to keep water out.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Love the idea.

I have had just about enough of having the basement doors whack me in the back of the head when I'm reaching deep for something and accidentally nudge the door.

Part number for the magnets?

Or supplier?

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
A link for the latches? Only ones I see have holes. Did you fill the holes with black caulking?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I can see the advantage of one hand operation. But other than that the original work okay.

Slam latched are a real improvement over the twist knobs.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
yes IMHO this is a nice addition. I did this on my trailer this summer. Magnets are available in either black or white.

A couple of hints:

1) I didn't remove the existing latch to hold the door open, no real reason to remove it and it still is there if needed.

2) put the magnet in the middle top of the door, not a side. Keeps forces most equalized to help keep the magnet holding the door open

3) for best adhesion use the 3M VHB tape AND the adhesion promoter. The adhesion promoter is very important. vastly increases the adhesion and minimizes the risk the adhesive doesn't adhere with full force. The adhesive poromoter is available from auto parts store or amazon. I just buy a box of the adhesion promoter wipes on amazon.

here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesion-Promoter-Sponge-Applicators/dp/B01G2BHLG6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542906373&sr=8-4&keywords=3m+automotive+adhesion+promoter

you can also get it as a box of 50.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Those and the new slam-latches they (AF) use are a nice improvement.