cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greasing Ram U-Joint/Spline

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Just greased the U joint spline on my Dodge Ram. A lot of folks & some dealers say its not there, but it is. I have done it several times & it is never easy, but thought I would share a couple tips that seem to make it somewhat easier, or at least for me.
I move the skid plate under the transfer case. Its a 13mm bolt & 4 of them. Take out 3 and loosen one & rotate the plate out of the way for somewhat better access to the joint. Then locate the hole for the needle grease fitting to go into. I then take a paper clip & bend it open & stick it in the grease hole. The grease fitting hole has a ball & spring inside to seal the hole & heat, grease etc from driving sometimes stick/weld the ball & make getting the needle in to grease very hard. The paper clip pushes on the ball inside & free's it up to insert the needle on the grease gun.
Its a PIA and some what a poor design, but Dodge & Ram have used this for years. Good Luck...
14 REPLIES 14

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
This one worked, and came from Tractor Supply, lube link.

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
VernDiesel wrote:
Thanks for posting this as its something I have been missing. 490k I have never done this.

I don't know about your Ram but mine came with a sticker right in front under the hood explaining this part must be lubed at every oil change.

In General: I have also found a FEW dealers are uninformed about this. One dealer in Imperial CA told me, when I asked them why it hadn't been done, they didn't have the tool (!)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Who’s they?
On a 4wd? Its not even a component on a 2wd. The number of reports of people who’s Dodge/Rams don’t have a greasable cardan joint are small and random.
There’s a 99.9% chance your 3rd gen or newer Ram has one.
No, u joints make noise every time. They don’t act normal sometimes once they’re shot.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Good to see you got in there and found it!

They are telling me it can't be greased either on a 4x4.

Question: Can a bad u-joint make a loud banging noise when they start to go. Not the usual clanking but a hard bang usually after a stop and then go, and not all the time either?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
A one hand operated grease gun and bent grease needle makes it easier to lube. There is a hole in the back of the joint where the excess grease comes out.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Wut????

Wish my truck didn’t have that greeesable front cardan joint. It’s a pain in the _____.
It doesn’t need done often though thank goodness, unless maybe you run in 4wd for the majority of yourmiles.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use 4h for a few miles a month just to lubricate the shaft, and differential, other wise it never turns.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 2011 4x4 did NOT have the grazable joint. The head Mechanic looked for it at the Pahrump, NV Dealer he said some did not have them. The head west coast Warranty Rep happened to be there and he said they do! Well after 5 minutes of looking with and without his glasses he declared it did not!

My 15 for sure has one. Only time I have done mine I tried with the needle tip but bagged it and removed the whole assembly and greased it. I think a lot of people "THINK" they have done it but in reality they are just greasing the indented area! You need to see it come out of the joint fittings.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

gsbrockman
Explorer
Explorer
VernDiesel wrote:
Thanks for posting this as its something I have been missing. 490k I have never done this.

Not 100% sure your 1500 EcoDiesel has the same driveshaft......
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Cab & Chassis, 6.7L CTD & AS69RC, 4.44 ratio, 225/70R19.5 Hankooks, 60 inch C/A, 52+22 gal tanks, Aluminum Wheels, CM SK Series bed w/B&W Turnover Ball. 63,910 miles and 1,124 hours as of December 30th, 2022. (Average MPH = 56.9)

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
No splines, he is talking about the double cardan joint on the front shaft.

I took a paint pen and marked the shaft to ease finding the little grease hole.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

gsbrockman
Explorer
Explorer
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Cab & Chassis, 6.7L CTD & AS69RC, 4.44 ratio, 225/70R19.5 Hankooks, 60 inch C/A, 52+22 gal tanks, Aluminum Wheels, CM SK Series bed w/B&W Turnover Ball. 63,910 miles and 1,124 hours as of December 30th, 2022. (Average MPH = 56.9)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Whiskey River wrote:
Just greased the U joint spline on my Dodge Ram. A lot of folks & some dealers say its not there, but it is. I have done it several times & it is never easy, but thought I would share a couple tips that seem to make it somewhat easier, or at least for me.
I move the skid plate under the transfer case. Its a 13mm bolt & 4 of them. Take out 3 and loosen one & rotate the plate out of the way for somewhat better access to the joint. Then locate the hole for the needle grease fitting to go into. I then take a paper clip & bend it open & stick it in the grease hole. The grease fitting hole has a ball & spring inside to seal the hole & heat, grease etc from driving sometimes stick/weld the ball & make getting the needle in to grease very hard. The paper clip pushes on the ball inside & free's it up to insert the needle on the grease gun.
Its a PIA and some what a poor design, but Dodge & Ram have used this for years. Good Luck...
Just be sure not to over grease it!
If you fill it all the way, the spines will not be able to move the way they should.... The seal will probably give way. Then you will need to either fix that, or grease much more often.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW