cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reciever weight rating.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I can't find the weight rating on the reciever. I have a 2500HD GMC SLE. I may have overlooked it in the book and there is no sticker on the reciever. Off hand and in this forums collective wisdom anyone know what it is? Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hornet....lots of the old world design/engineering metrics are lost in the computer based designs today

All if us scientists coined them (the summer interns from the likes of Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Cal, Purdue, etc, etc...fav's were from small/no-name colleges). "Green Light/Red Light" designers....they just run the simulation and then address the vectors their computer says to...

'Some' knew what the tensile strength of their CAD recommended/choices materials...ask them how does that attain 140,000 PSI...most didn't know. Worst was their lack of understanding that their super computer recommendation has many GB's of data and that buried in there is a heat treatment cycle(s) required to attain that 140,000 PSI

Lost was the old: "design it for the idiot and gorilla, for if they can misuse it...they will" point of view...factored by writing the fine print (must be reviewed, modified and approved by lawyers) underneath all specifications...CYA for the OEM

Buried in there is the legal position of 'recommended'...that many here say is worthless. Yup...to them, but to the lawyers a positioning word

Also lost to the public, as the CAD systems does dial in safety margin. The Green Light and Red Light designers many times don't know....that management some times dial back the level of safety margin(s)

Nephew is in college studying to become a ME. His materials classes does NOT cover the levels of detail mine did +50 years ago. Asked why and stated that the CAD/supercomputer will deal with it...

Fatigue analysis of their designs are no longer done by the designer. It is buried in their simulations and output vectors...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been lucky with my oem hitches as well.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
Believe what you want. Just remember the hitches are produce by the lowest bidder to minimum specs. I personally still wouldn't trust their design nor the way method of attachment. Just my $.02

Overvalued advice if you ask me, because you can say that about ANYTHING. Where do you draw the line? In this specific example, what makes Curt, or Reese, or Draw-Tite any less likely to be doing the EXACT SAME THING?

X2 as every one of those you mention shops out their material to the lowest irresponsible bidder. The guys cutting the parts and welding them together are essentially low bidders as they agreed to do it at the lowest wage the manufacturer can get away with.

I often scratch my head and wonder after reading this thread how I got away with using the OEM hitches pulling heavy equipment trailers loaded down, and I'm sure overloaded down at times, with concrete construction gear for years. All while being driven by non caring Gorillas who beat things to death, yet never twisted an OEM hitch up like the pictures in this thread or sent a trailer off into the woods or oncoming traffic.

Luck I guess.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
Believe what you want. Just remember the hitches are produce by the lowest bidder to minimum specs. I personally still wouldn't trust their design nor the way method of attachment. Just my $.02

Overvalued advice if you ask me, because you can say that about ANYTHING. Where do you draw the line? In this specific example, what makes Curt, or Reese, or Draw-Tite any less likely to be doing the EXACT SAME THING?

Overvalued? Did you receive a bill? As I said believe what you want.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
hornet28 wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Totally...and X2

Lost to non-engineering/technology folks is that product design teams input or requirement contract comes from Marketing/Sales (approved by management)

GM was the first, now most other OEMs place #1 on looks for marketing purposes...and rightly so, they are in the business to make money and the huge majority of buyers do NOT tow.

Maybe 1% to maybe 5% tow...and even less tow heavy

So, now we have hidden receivers. GM decided to have engineering make it part of the bumper...therefore part of the crash crumple zone. That is they why a Suburban's receiver is only rated for 1,000 lbs in WD.

The gusset from the receiver cross tube to frame has stress raiser notches to make it weaker at those points...so they will 'crumple' during a rear ender

IMHO...it is a tow vehicle and the receiver is the only thing between the TV and trailer.

Finally...all things designed/engineered is NOT for the good days out there, but for the day Mr Murphy cross your path. Plus, the specification limits how high a bar the designers were told to design to...plus some design margin (that we, on the outside, will NEVER know)

hornet28 wrote:
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
George3037 wrote:
This discussion has been here before but I couldn't find the thread on it.
The OEM hitch on my 2016 2500HD is a V5 2 1/2" Factory rated at 1300 tongue and 13000 max trlr. There were some others that had a higher rated which I believe was either 1700/17000 or 2000/20000. They may have been on a 2WD truck. Mine is 4WD CC short bed. The sticker is on the bottom so you have to lay on your back to see it. If yours isn't there then it fell off.

2015 GMC 2500HD SLE 4WD Double cab with 8' bed

20K lb rated, 2K lb weight carrying.

The GM hitch issues were prior to 2007 and for the most part were 1500's, but some of those hitches made it onto 2007 classic and prior year 2500's depending on configuration. It's easy enough to tell as those hitches had two bolts attaching them to the bottom of the bumper.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Beentherefixedthat wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
A hitch does not have to be 2 1/2" to be a class 5. They make 2" class 5's. As far as the stock GM hitch do yourself a favor and buy a good hitch instead of the OE junk

The OEM hitch on a 16 GM 2500 is junk?

I have had a 2013 with the same hitch, have a 2015, and was responsible for a small fleet for a while with the same, and none were junk to my knowledge despite a lot of abuse on the fleet vehicles. It's one of the few OEM hitches I know of rated @ 2K lbs weight carrying.

This is from the standards for Class V hitches which I copied to my post:

"A Class V hitch has a 2-1/2" square receiver opening."

I cant verify your experience or what was actually on a **1997** Chevy but I do know what the specs say.

And while there may have been a change since that time today to the best of my knowledge a class V has a 2 1/2 Opening.

Just one example of a class 5 with a 2" receiver
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/15460

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
This discussion has been here before but I couldn't find the thread on it.
The OEM hitch on my 2016 2500HD is a V5 2 1/2" Factory rated at 1300 tongue and 13000 max trlr. There were some others that had a higher rated which I believe was either 1700/17000 or 2000/20000. They may have been on a 2WD truck. Mine is 4WD CC short bed. The sticker is on the bottom so you have to lay on your back to see it. If yours isn't there then it fell off.

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
A hitch does not have to be 2 1/2" to be a class 5. They make 2" class 5's. As far as the stock GM hitch do yourself a favor and buy a good hitch instead of the OE junk

The OEM hitch on a 16 GM 2500 is junk?

I have had a 2013 with the same hitch, have a 2015, and was responsible for a small fleet for a while with the same, and none were junk to my knowledge despite a lot of abuse on the fleet vehicles. It's one of the few OEM hitches I know of rated @ 2K lbs weight carrying.

This is from the standards for Class V hitches which I copied to my post:

"A Class V hitch has a 2-1/2" square receiver opening."

I cant verify your experience or what was actually on a **1997** Chevy but I do know what the specs say.

And while there may have been a change since that time today to the best of my knowledge a class V has a 2 1/2 Opening.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The OEM receiver on my 06 Silverado was indeed junk, the welds were coming apart from pulling a 6000 lb TT. Dealer replaced it with a stout aftermarket receiver at my insistence.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
The 1999 thru 2013 GM receivers were indeed junk. I don't know if newer ones are much better. Here are some photos so you can see where the problem lies: Photos

I would have to agree by those photos those hitches do look cheap, however I don't know the true story on how many were over loaded or the abuse but the metal does look thin..

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
.....As far as the stock GM hitch do yourself a favor and buy a good hitch instead of the OE junk

on 1999-2007 trucks that's definitely true. Also, I think maybe the '02-'11 receivers weren't much better. The link Lynnmor provided shows mostly '99-'07 receivers that were absolutely terrible. On a 2016 truck the OP should be in good shape.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!