cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Driving Days: Class A vs. Trailer

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We've recently changed from a truck and bumper pull to a Class A motorhome. We've done nearly 40k miles with the trailer. On long trips, we would average about 500 miles per day when trying to "make time". They were tough, but doable. I had a grip on what I could handle.

We've not been on a long road trip with our motorhome yet, but have 8k miles planned for this summer. I'm expecting some of the benefits of a Class A to help us (fewer fuel, restroom and food stops), but it does seem to require more attention when driving, which I could see being more fatiguing than the truck/trailer combo.

What are your thoughts comparing long drive days with different style RV's? I'm planning out next summer and don't want to over or underestimate driving days. I realize it is not only different for every person, but different each day as well.

Thanks for any input.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
52 REPLIES 52

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
In 2007 I traded my Class C Jayco for a new 5th wheel. I missed the motorhome the first trip out......and for the next 5 years. Then traded it for a class A gasser. Owned it for 2 years, sold it bought the current DP.

Hands down, best decision ever. I love driving the DP, sort of hate stopping for the night. We go to Oshkosh every year, it's 985 miles from our house to the campground. We do it in a day and a half and I'm really not tired when we get there.

I've said it before, I know Fleetwood is "entry-level" but when we bought ours, it was pouring down rain in Houston. Of ALL the coaches on PPL's lot (high-dollar ones included) this Bounder was the only one that wasn't dripping water SOMEWHERE inside.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hey neighbor! We have similar coaches, with the biggest difference being the chassis (I think you're on the Ford F53, we're on the Workhorse W22).

Also, when I purchased ours, the original owner had installed a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and Henderson's track bar.

After one trip through I-40 through the Smokies I added front and rear anti-sway bars as well.

So on the balance, almost all the time I much prefer driving our Class A instead of our old combo - 2000 F250 7.3 with a 35ft 5th wheel.

Last year on our 4 week trip, we started and ended with 3 days of 500+ miles each day to get out west and back home. It wasn't the most enjoyable, but just wouldn't have been possible in the truck/trailer combo. Most of that driving was me driving with one hand and just chillin' in the driver's seat, staring down the interstate towards the horizon. (Until we hit Atlanta, then I was staring at brake lights, ha ha).

The only times I missed the truck/trailer was on super twisty roads and high wind days. I could really hustle that truck and 5th wheel down a tight mountain road if I had to, but the motorhome just doesn't have that same handling predictability. The anti-sway bars helped a ton, and I'm getting more comfortable with the motorhome too, so not a big issue.

With wind I felt like the truck and 5th wheel were more stable, especially dealing with semis blowing by. I got used to the "pitch and catch" eventually ... spotting a truck coming by, countersteering as it pushed us, then steering back into the "wash" of the wind coming off the truck's trailer.

I also need to improve the front seat in the MH, it's too soft for me for driving all day. Made do with a cushion on top but might do something different for next year.

Anyway all that to say is we didn't look back once we were in a MH! And that's a gasser ... My friend who drives a diesel Tiffin said it's a really easy drive!
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
I think we all get there are some of you that only drive a little. That option is a gentle and safe option and less stress for sure. There are times I would love to only drive a few hours...

The reason the question is asked is not how LITTLE one drives but how FAR one can safely drive. We all know that short trips are the bestest, but for those of us with a job, kids, and things to do at home it is important to get where I am going. Therefore, I may drive 800 miles in a day.

It is this reason I got rid of the FW and moved to a MH. The long, long trailer (movie reference) was too much for the kids and DW and dogs in a truck for 800+ miles in a day....drove me crazy. It turned out to be the best option for us to get a DP.

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Straight line stability of large vehicles is a function of alignment. .....

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Many miss the point of the question...OF COURSE I want to drive 150 miles a day and stop at noon.

What's the point of being an RVer in a hurry? The best memories of my life have been had because I'm willing to drive long days.

Those slow easy days are for us Slow old Fa*ts 🙂

With the Coach you will be able to Just Do More - As it is Soooooo much easier in the Coach.

Retirement will come soon enough - Go and See as Much as YOU Can - the Kids will Love you for it.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Gig_em
Explorer
Explorer
For me it is night and day.

We’ve traveled from Texas to Florida, California and Canada. I have a job and limited time off. I’ve loved every trip we’ve ever taken in the trailer and RV and love the places we’ve run into unexpectantly and spent time exploring (Little Big Horn, Pertrified Forest National Park, etc), but sometimes we just need to get “there” and make a note of those unique places for next time.

We started out with a 26’ travel trailer (4500#) and an Expedition. We never really took it further than 300 mi and I was done when we got there. Trailer was well under the tow rating of the expedition, but driving a safe speed (60ish) and fighting the wind wore me out. Not to mention traveling with 3 young kids (and the dog most times) in the back, stoping for bathroom and gas entirely to often (6 mpg).

It would have been better with a diesel 3/4 ton and I might feel different, but I doubt it.

We moved up to a DP. Now when we have long travel days we only stop when I need to. Usually every 3 hrs, but I’ve driven 6 hrs with out getting up. We Walmart camp, so I don’t see the need to stop early and will drive until 10-12 PM. On these long travel days we’ll often travel 600-800 mi.

For us, everyone is more comfortable and relaxed. I can’t tell you how nice it is to not start a trip hearing the kids squawk about who did what to who because they’re crammed in the back seat together. I don’t have to stop because someone needs to use the restroom. We take our own food so we eat better. When the kids were younger we would find a park for lunch so they could run around for a few min and we could stretch our legs.

It’s infinitely better for me. Part of it is the switch from a truck/trailer to an RV and part from gas to diesel. Hope this helps.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Class A. I prefer to tow the little thing with the big thing, rather than the other way around.

Bruce_Brown
^^^ Same with us. 5,500 miles round trip, every bit of it was fantastic!

We made the trip with Sully and his wonderful wife Nancy. Just another memory thanks to friends we met on RV.net. RIP Sully.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Pinky wrote:
If you are in a big hurry, what's the point of being an RVer? I have a DP and usually drive 400 to 450 miles a day and wherever I am going, it is still there when I get there. Stop and smell the roses.

For many people to do and see the things they wish the timing isn't very flexible. Just to stop and smell the roses could mean not getting to see the things that they "really want to".

For us not driving 8-10 hours a day meant we would never have seen Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore the way we wanted to in the time I could manage. I can say without doubt that was the best vacation we've ever done with our rig. And the actual driving across this great country was breath taking for us and every bit enjoyable. Not one time did we complain about the long hours driving each day. It took 4 days there and 4 days back actual driving.

Not complaining about it, and it never occurred to us we were " in a hurry". Fabulous trip. I was glad to be a RV'er.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr. Pinky wrote:
If you are in a big hurry, what's the point of being an RVer?

Some of us work for a living and only get a couple weeks of vacation a year. Taking 3 days to get somewhere when I can do the drive in one just wastes vacation days. One of these days I will have the luxury of taking my time to get where I am going but with both of us working, we have to use are time wisely.

The most I have driven in a day was a little over 500 miles and it was no big deal. Next year we have a trip planned that is over 700 miles from our house. I do plan to cut that trip into two days driving.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Many miss the point of the question...OF COURSE I want to drive 150 miles a day and stop at noon.

What's the point of being an RVer in a hurry? The best memories of my life have been had because I'm willing to drive long days.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Mr__Pinky
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in a big hurry, what's the point of being an RVer? I have a DP and usually drive 400 to 450 miles a day and wherever I am going, it is still there when I get there. Stop and smell the roses.
"STUFF" HAPPENS, GET OVER IT

Y-Guy
Back when we first bought our Class A I'd gone to the same camp ground with a TT and then our 5ther Toy hauler. With the Toy Hauler I arrived tired and tense, plus it added more time to the trip. The first time I drove the Class A the same route, I arrived feeling relaxed and ready to go ATVing. One of the pluses was we didn't have to stop a bunch of times, just one stop... for me. Being higher up made it easier to see traffic and manage our rig better. Hands down for me the motorehome is easier and less effort to drive, and back in.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
does not matter what you drive or pull. your body says when to stop.
best to not go past four (4) hrs without stopping. (figure open rd freeway speeds).
the cockpit you sit in matters.(cramped? lots of leg, body room). getting up and walking around 20-30 min. will save a life, or more.
i still drive a big rig for pay, and about 3 hrs drive time, i get stiff, and cramps in my legs. back kills me when i get out.
this 10 hr rule for drivers is very bad.
got a second for driving, swap out every two hrs or so. you will be far happier at days end.
but not everybody can handle a class c, let alone a big class A bus. after all when you put it in gear, your mind is on full alert till you park.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun