cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What mixer to get?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK DD wants a counter-top style mixer for making cookies, batter whatever. Kitchenaid seems to be the go-to brand but still has 5 levels and sizes to choose. Just for periodic use at home.

Any recommendation? Different brand?
17 REPLIES 17

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Our Kitchen has been a hit for us. Just under 200 bucks I think.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all ๐Ÿ™‚

KitchenAid Pro 600 6qt lift bowl in Empire Red is on its way.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mixers are on sale CHEAP at the Kitchenaid Website starting at $189.99
Check it out.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since she's only going to use it periodically then get the smallest until she knows how much she'll use it. If she expands her batches and use she can always get an upgrade for her next one. It's easy to overestimate our needs and buy more appliance than we really need - kinda of like RVs :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
for gin, I think tonic is the best.

for rum, I've been liking a 50-50 mix of lime and simple syrup.

Oh, you meant a MIXER, not mixer.

sorry.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wanderlost wrote:
Have had a Kitchen Aid for decades. I will say I don't think much of its grinder attachment -- we wound up with a commercial grade grinder to make the raw cat food. Otherwise, it has been a true kitchen workhorse around here.

I agree the grinder ainโ€™t great and neither is the juicer. Screen fills up in no time.

The shredder and slicer kicks butt.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Have had a Kitchen Aid for decades. I will say I don't think much of its grinder attachment -- we wound up with a commercial grade grinder to make the raw cat food. Otherwise, it has been a true kitchen workhorse around here.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Kitchen Aid and when it strips the plastic gears go online and get a replacement set. They are metal and takes 30 minutes with clean up. Wife has the large at home and keeps a smaller on it the RV.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a OSTER Machine since the low 80's and am happy with it. It was $150. with attachments. I use it often.
My sister said she would like to have one like it and I found one at a Flea Market with attachments for $26.00. I did have to order bowls for it and ebay had glass and stainless for it.
While you are looking, I found a Salad Shooter at a thrift store for $5. and love it!
I grow beets in my garden and it slices them very well and they are really tough raw.
I found another one of those for my sister and sent it to her and she loves it also.
Great for slicing, shredding/grating and easy clean up.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is a baker and ours gets used often. Our Kitchenaid is at least 25 years old and still going strong.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought my wife the second largest "lift bowl" Kitchenaid also. That thing has seen many hours of use and still looks and sounds like new. I did regrease it a couple of years ago with official Kitchenaid grease. We have a small trailer and usually boondock so we would never haul it along when we travel.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Kitchen Aid and you won't regret it. My mother used to bake a lot and at Christmas time a ton of cookies and after burning out the other brands she finally got a kitchen Aid and that was that when they came out and it's still going strong as I inherited it when my mom passed 7 years ago and I use it a lot as I also got all of her recipes too.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for KitchenAid. SIL uses them in her shop that makes cupcakes. They often run for extended times and have never had an issue.

DW has the Artisan model. This the same as SIL uses in her shop.
Dan

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are several on Craigslist around here. Common wedding gift that doesnโ€™t get used..

We have the slicer, shredder, peeler/spiralizer attachments.

Get one that has the ability to raise and lower the bowl.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.