cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Lake Colorado

jamharrison
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling to Grand Lake area next summer in a Class A which I have not driven it in the mountains yet...Coming from Omaha, NE. via I-80 and considering going to Laramie Wy. then head south via hwy 230 then hwy 125 curious if anyone has come down that way from I-80. I realize its about 40 miles longer then going thru Denver just trying to avoid the steep grades. Any thoughts?
Thor Tuscany XTE 40BX
16 REPLIES 16

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
That one way dirt road in RMNP was a nice day trip before the 2013 flood.

It still is. Old Fall River Road. Has been rebuilt in the damaged areas. Will open for the 2019 season around July 4th.

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded. Yogi Berra
...;)
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heisenberg wrote:

It still is. Old Fall River Road. Has been rebuilt in the damaged areas. Will open for the 2019 season around July 4th.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
jamharrison wrote:
. . . Coming from Omaha, NE. via I-80 and considering going to Laramie Wy. then head south via hwy 230 then hwy 125 curious if anyone has come down that way from I-80. . . . Any thoughts?
Yes, several thoughts. In September, we towed our 5th wheel on CO 125 on our way home from Yellowstone. Willow Creek Pass is probably the easiest pass over the Continental Divide in northern Colorado. And, if you need groceries and fuel when you reach U.S. 40, Granby has a big King Soopers (Kroger) grocery store just off 40 on the SE side of town, including a gas station with diesel.

Second thought: having recently taken both routes, we prefer the Medicine Bow mountain scenery on WY 130 to that of WY 230. Both routes begin in Laramie, but 230 is easier in an RV.

Third thought: if you want to avoid even the Medicine Bows, stay on I-80 to WY 30/130 at the Walcott exit, then go south on 130 through Saratoga and Encampment/Riverside to Walden. There is a wonderful history museum in Encampment to stop and stretch your legs while climbing the fire tower. And the Lazy Acres RV Park has some very nicely shaded FHU and W/E sites next to the river and a laundry. We have stayed there twice.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I love going to and driving through every NP. I accept the fact that I can't hike every hike, swim every lake, paddle every river. I still go to do the things that I can do. I enjoy the parks. I have driven through RMNP many times. I usually find a nice place to sit and just LOOK at the beauty. I wonder how many people actually stop, get out of their RV, pull up a chair, and LOOK at the place. I have had several people ask me what I am looking at. They don't understand the fact that I am just SEEING THE BEAUTY.

When in the Southwest - You can stop often and Just Soak It In and not even be in a National Park - Oh How Lucky We Are.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love going to and driving through every NP. I accept the fact that I can't hike every hike, swim every lake, paddle every river. I still go to do the things that I can do. I enjoy the parks. I have driven through RMNP many times. I usually find a nice place to sit and just LOOK at the beauty. I wonder how many people actually stop, get out of their RV, pull up a chair, and LOOK at the place. I have had several people ask me what I am looking at. They don't understand the fact that I am just SEEING THE BEAUTY.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
jamharrison wrote:
Traveling to Grand Lake area next summer in a Class A which I have not driven it in the mountains yet...Coming from Omaha, NE. via I-80 and considering going to Laramie Wy. then head south via hwy 230 then hwy 125 curious if anyone has come down that way from I-80. I realize its about 40 miles longer then going thru Denver just trying to avoid the steep grades. Any thoughts?

This is a beautiful drive for the most part. Did it in reverse as one of our trips last season.

Laramie to Woods Landing goes from flat to rolling terrain. At Woods Landing, there's a 7-8 mile climb up to Foxpark, but it's not difficult. Once up to Foxpark, rolling terrain again, then a downhill for quite a few miles down to the intersection of CO 127/CO 125 (WY 230 becomes CO 127 at the state line). Of note on this drive is a substantial burn area that you'll go through, showing the devastation of a major fire.

Once down to Cowdrey WY, it's fairly flat and wide open heading south to Walden on CO 125. Jackson County is a whole big empty with beautiful vistas all around -- about 1500 people in the entire county. Fuel up in Walden if needed; there's no fuel between there and Granby (the Rand Store is hit or miss if it's open and available). Past Rand, you'll do a minor climb up to Willow Creek Pass, which is really a non-event as far as pass climbs in Colorado go. Long gradual down hill into Granby, and then an immediate left and left on to US 34 up to Grand Lake.

Fuel availability in Laramie, Woods Landing, Walden and Granby. In other words, sparse. Diesel even sparser. I know the 2 stations in Walden have diesel, and there's diesel in Granby as well. Woods Landing, I think is just gasoline.

Won't get in to the pros/cons of the "west side vs east side" of Rocky. I like them both for different reasons. Some really great USFS CG on the west side and if you're in to water sports, there's 3 good lakes to play on.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I'll have to say that RMNP is somewhat disappointing in the things to do category when compared to other major parks. I was expecting more on the west side but it wasn't there. This is especially aggravating since you can see all those fascinating valleys that cannot be accessed unless you are a tough 40 mile backpacker. Which few of us are.

Grand Lake and the other towns along there are basically strip mall tourist traps. It's a fair drive to get into RMNP from there too.

As has been noted before, the east (Estes Park) side of RMNP, while way more crowded, has a lot more in the way of short and intermediate length trails. If the altitude isn't too much for the OP, on the west side I would recommend the 10 mile round trip hike to Mt. Ida. As spectacular as anything on the east side.

What gateway town to any of our national parks isn't pretty touristed? West Yellowstone, Gatlinburg YN, Jackson WY, Springdale and Moab UT are some other examples. I actually find Grand Lake to be a throwback to an earlier era, kind of like Estes Park was 40 or 50 years ago.

As for the OP's question, yes, the route through Laramie is definitely less of a pull than going through Denver. Going I-70 to US 40 to Grand Lake entails two pretty good grades. The first 10 miles up I-70 past Golden is a relatively steep grade with lots of traffic buzzing by you. Then the climb over Berthoud Pass will test your rig once again.

^^^^^^^^^^ I AGREE ^^^^^^^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
:C
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a different viewpoint not meaning to rag on yours.

I didn't take offense, just stating my point of view. Guys can disagree without anyone getting upset...heh
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I meant no offense to your viewpoint. There is plenty to do in RMNP just not in your car. It is not "locked away from the public" you just cant do it in a vehicle.

Yellowstone is 9 times the size of RMNP but it only has 4 times as much road, it only has less than 3 times the amount of trail mileage. Does the YNP loop road get you to some of the great features of the park yes but you only see 20% of the park unless you get on the trails or back country regardless of length. Not really different than RMNP. Arches National Park has several thousand arches in it if you stay on the road you will see maybe 50 at best the rest take walking to see and yet there are only about 10 trails in that park that will get you to see another 50 at best the rest is get a back country permit and go for it.

While I do like Abbey to a certain degree as a writer I have never thought of myself as Abbeyesq, no monkey wrenching for me or over the top views on environmental issues or access but the fact is we cant all go everywhere we would like to go. Same applies to me. There are many places that I would like to go and see but don't have the strength, fortitude, stamina, equipment, financial wherewithal or whatever other reason to do so and so be it doesn't mean that that particular location doesn't have a lot of appeal or nothing to do for someone else for some of those same reasons. Does RMNP have less spectacular sites than YNP well that would depend on what you like. The thermal features there are fantastic but some in my family could care less about them. Grand Tetons National Park is there even one road that penetrates the mountains within the park, no but still eyeball bustin' scenery and worth going to see.

Just a different viewpoint not meaning to rag on yours.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as nothing to do there well that is fairly subjective. No there are not a bunch of roads that criss cross the park to get you into every nook and cranny of it but that is also part of the good part that if you are willing you can get away from it all there which can mean a hike of mile or two or as was put 40 miles whatever floats your boat.
With the exception of Old Falls River Rd, which we have been on or 3 times. And the Wild Basin Rd there are no roads into the park.

Large Map 13 MB

The shorter, 5 mile or so round trip hikes don't really take you anywhere interesting. We've done most of them. So you are taking the Edward Abbey line that if you are not capable of a 40 mile round trip backpack, then you should not have access to the park.

Glacier for example is much more friendly to the majority of park visitors. And so is YNP and even Yosemite. You can spend a week cruising the back roads of Big Bend and GSMNP has a road net. Even tho the great majority will never do anything other than drive the main route. But not RMNP where 90% of the park is locked away from the public.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I'll have to say that RMNP is somewhat disappointing in the things to do category when compared to other major parks. I was expecting more on the west side but it wasn't there. This is especially aggravating since you can see all those fascinating valleys that cannot be accessed unless you are a tough 40 mile backpacker. Which few of us are.

Grand Lake and the other towns along there are basically strip mall tourist traps. It's a fair drive to get into RMNP from there too.

As has been noted before, the east (Estes Park) side of RMNP, while way more crowded, has a lot more in the way of short and intermediate length trails. If the altitude isn't too much for the OP, on the west side I would recommend the 10 mile round trip hike to Mt. Ida. As spectacular as anything on the east side.

What gateway town to any of our national parks isn't pretty touristed? West Yellowstone, Gatlinburg YN, Jackson WY, Springdale and Moab UT are some other examples. I actually find Grand Lake to be a throwback to an earlier era, kind of like Estes Park was 40 or 50 years ago.

As for the OP's question, yes, the route through Laramie is definitely less of a pull than going through Denver. Going I-70 to US 40 to Grand Lake entails two pretty good grades. The first 10 miles up I-70 past Golden is a relatively steep grade with lots of traffic buzzing by you. Then the climb over Berthoud Pass will test your rig once again.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
You can go I76 to I70 then US 40 going this way you will be just north of Denver. The steep grades are fine as long as you take care and use your engine break I have done this dozens of times and it really isn't as bad as people think. You really don't need to go that far out of the way.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD