cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chieftain 22 On Board Storage Question

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at Class C's around 24 ft but recently ran across a really nice Class A 87 Winnebago Chieftain 22 in primo shape. Problem is, judging from the photos there doesn't seem to be a lot of storage other than the inside cabinets and there's not a lot of those. I'm not seeing much in the way of basement storage if any.

There is a drop-down bed above the driver compartment that appears to normally be stowed in the UP position. I'm wondering if it could be lowered a bit to be used as a storage compartment. (I would never need it as a bed). Not sure how much headroom above the driver would be left though.

Can any of you current of former Chieftain 22 owners chime in on this?
5 REPLIES 5

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I had a 87 Chieftain, and as stated the overhead bed comes down to the top of the seat,no in between,I know of a owner that removed the mattress and put a shelf in its place.The real problem I found was almost no outside storage,there was some good storage inside but not near enough.I ended up putting a storage pod on the roof.

It was on a P30 chassis and was The most evel handling vehicle I ever drove,I did every mod possable to help it but only had moderate success,it was always a handful to drive.I would never have another one.

The the Class C I have now has more than 100 cubic ft of storage in the rear area,I made sure that I had a lot of room in this one because the total lack of space in my Chieftain.

Good info. Thanks. I got interested when I saw the Chieftain had basically the same floorplan I've been looking at in a Class C (corner bed, etc). I love the vintage style MH.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 87 Chieftain, and as stated the overhead bed comes down to the top of the seat,no in between,I know of a owner that removed the mattress and put a shelf in its place.The real problem I found was almost no outside storage,there was some good storage inside but not near enough.I ended up putting a storage pod on the roof.

It was on a P30 chassis and was The most evel handling vehicle I ever drove,I did every mod possable to help it but only had moderate success,it was always a handful to drive.I would never have another one.

The the Class C I have now has more than 100 cubic ft of storage in the rear area,I made sure that I had a lot of room in this one because the total lack of space in my Chieftain.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the complete 19877 Winnebago brochure. Look through the Chieftain section and maybe you'll spot something in those pictures or floor plan.
1987 Winnebago

This is the operator's manual. Same thing, it may mention something about storage.
1987 Winnebago Itasca Owner
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
May be โ€œprimoโ€ but itโ€™s still 31 years old.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 1985 30' Chieftain years ago with the same setup, and if I remember, the drop down bed came down almost to the top of the seatback. So, unless you're very short, it would be sitting on your head. You possibly could put a stop of some sort in the mechanism to prevent it from coming down that far.

Outside storage is a problem, but IIRC, the indside storage was pretty good.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad