cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fire kills one at Georgia campground

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
http://accesswdun.com/article/2018/11/738726/thanksgiving-campground-fire-claims-life-in-rabun-count...

Three campers destroyed, bath house also destroyed, and one person dead.
4 REPLIES 4

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
One of the first things I do after buying a new trailer is get a real fire extinguisher and replace the cheapest smoke alarm the rv mfg can purchase with a quality unit.

Another problem with mfg is placement of the smoke detectors. Mine was above the stove and microwave facilitating removing the battery to cook anything.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder if their smoke alarm had batteries in it and was it in working order, I have two smoke alarms in a 17' trailer just to be sure. I check the alarms before every trip. I told my wife that if there is ever a fire, RUN for the exit. The fire extinguisher is next to the door, if you can't put it out with that one extinguisher, leave. Trailers are not cheap but a life is priceless. I can always get another trailer. She also knows how to break the rear window with the baseball bat that is in the rear of the trailer for that exact purpose.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tragic indeed!!

Now ... so that we all can learn ... what was the cause of the fires?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Tragic.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad