Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

water pump replacement

lamoz1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I have a Shurflo 2088 403 144 water pump
that is now leaking. It's also pretty noisy.

They sell a diaphragm repair kit for about half the price
of a new pump. Not sure if I should just repair it, or to change
the pump all together. The fact that is also loud makes me
want to buy a different brand.

Suggestions are welcomed

Thank you
21 REPLIES 21

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
If it cycles on and off WHILE THE FAUCET IS OPEN then the pump is capable of providing a larger volume of water than the faucet can consume. So the pressure builds until the cutoff point, the pump shuts off, the pressure drops because the faucet is running and the pump turns back on. The simplest way to solve this is with an accumulator.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
lamoz1 wrote:
Ok,
I've installed a new pump. Runs quieter but the vibration of the hard
pipe is what caused the noise. Now I have another issue, once the pump is
running and I use water it pulsate. In other words it runs, stops for a second
and the runs again and continues like that. On and off constantly

I wish could add a photo also, since the plumbing seen weird to me
because the intake hose goes into the pump but a second line with a valve. The out line on the pump the attaches to this same line with the valve and then to the coach. Not sure what the purpose of this valve is.
and when it should be on or off.

I think the pulsation you are describing is air in the system, once you bleed all the air out that might stop.
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

lamoz1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok,
I've installed a new pump. Runs quieter but the vibration of the hard
pipe is what caused the noise. Now I have another issue, once the pump is
running and I use water it pulsate. In other words it runs, stops for a second
and the runs again and continues like that. On and off constantly

I wish could add a photo also, since the plumbing seen weird to me
because the intake hose goes into the pump but a second line with a valve. The out line on the pump the attaches to this same line with the valve and then to the coach. Not sure what the purpose of this valve is.
and when it should be on or off.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
lamoz1 wrote:

Consider replacing with a Remco 55 AquaJet ARV.

Note: If you have an accumulator tank you will just need to remove it, this pump will not run correctly with an accumulator tank. The Aquajet pumps need a hard shut off, an accumulator tank creates a soft shut off.

^^ interesting note from that link. Wouldn't the air pocket in the water heater create a similar soft shut off?

No, it's not the same. That space is not compressible (no bladder like an accumulator) and would provide the same hard cut-out.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
lamoz1 wrote:

Note: If you have an accumulator tank you will just need to remove it, this pump will not run correctly with an accumulator tank. The Aquajet pumps need a hard shut off, an accumulator tank creates a soft shut off.

^^ interesting note from that link. Wouldn't the air pocket in the water heater create a similar soft shut off?
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
lamoz1 wrote:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers wrote:
lamoz1 wrote:
Ok, this thread has been hi-jacked lol.

Sorry for the Hi-Jack…
Last post,
This afternoon I went down to the motorhome with allen wrench in hand. To my surprise when I turned on the pump there was no noise. I turned on the kitchen faucet and got water, a second or two later the pump kicked on, then a second or two after turning off the faucet the pump shut off. Several attempts later I could not get it to fail. The water flow wasn’t as I was hoping for so I checked how much water I got out of the kitchen faucet in 1 minute. Pump is supposed to deliver 3.0 gpm. I got less than 1.5 gpm. I figured the faucet has a restrictor in it so I am not too concerned.

Now back to the original post…
Other than the hiccup in the beginning I am happy that I purchased this 8004-101-e65 Shurflo rather than repair the old (obsolete) pump. Oh and it is a bit quieter than the old.

With your comment on the water pressure, does every faucet have low pressure?
Just wondering if there are others like mine and with my pump delivering more pressure than shore water?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
lamoz1 wrote:

Sorry for the Hi-Jack…
Last post,
This afternoon I went down to the motorhome with allen wrench in hand. To my surprise when I turned on the pump there was no noise. I turned on the kitchen faucet and got water, a second or two later the pump kicked on, then a second or two after turning off the faucet the pump shut off. Several attempts later I could not get it to fail. The water flow wasn’t as I was hoping for so I checked how much water I got out of the kitchen faucet in 1 minute. Pump is supposed to deliver 3.0 gpm. I got less than 1.5 gpm. I figured the faucet has a restrictor in it so I am not too concerned.

Now back to the original post…
Other than the hiccup in the beginning I am happy that I purchased this 8004-101-e65 Shurflo rather than repair the old (obsolete) pump. Oh and it is a bit quieter than the old.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

lamoz1
Explorer
Explorer

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

It sounds like you have you input water lever on shore water which will not allow the pump to build up pressure and shut off.

I did not have the motorhome hooked to shore water. I believe the valve was turned to input water. There is a check valve on the water inlet to hole pressure. If this is where I was loosing pressure I would see water coming out the inlet, which I didn't.

Before blindly making any adjustments to the pressure or bypass I will cap off the outlet side of the pump to see if it shuts off.
This will illuminate any pressure loss in the system.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

W-22 Workhorse
3.5L V6 Automatic

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:

Try running it on city water and open all the valves one at a time to bleed all the air out of the lines then try the pump again to see if it will shut off after it builds pressure.

I did that. I ran it with all faucets open for about 10 minutes. It still won't turn off. I did not have the toilet open though. I need to try that.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

W-22 Workhorse
3.5L V6 Automatic

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fulltimers wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Besides the obvious problem with the leak, your pump might be noisy because of the way it is mounted. In my coach the pump was mounted directly to the side wall in the basement. When I replaced it I got two braided plastic hose extensions at Home Depot and relocated the pump to a rubber mount on the bottom of the basement compartment. This not only made the pump much easier to service but it also made it so that I could hardly hear it when it was running.
I installed the pump today and it will not shut off. I ran it for a while to purge all air out of the system. No leaks as far as I can tell. I guess I will have to play with the bypass switch adjustment tomorrow to see if I can get it to shut off.

It sounds like you have you input water lever on shore water which will not allow the pump to build up pressure and shut off.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Besides the obvious problem with the leak, your pump might be noisy because of the way it is mounted. In my coach the pump was mounted directly to the side wall in the basement. When I replaced it I got two braided plastic hose extensions at Home Depot and relocated the pump to a rubber mount on the bottom of the basement compartment. This not only made the pump much easier to service but it also made it so that I could hardly hear it when it was running.
I installed the pump today and it will not shut off. I ran it for a while to purge all air out of the system. No leaks as far as I can tell. I guess I will have to play with the bypass switch adjustment tomorrow to see if I can get it to shut off.

Try running it on city water and open all the valves one at a time to bleed all the air out of the lines then try the pump again to see if it will shut off after it builds pressure.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

W-22 Workhorse
3.5L V6 Automatic