cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FMCA health insurance vs AARP?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone compared these two? Anyone on Humana? The deadline approaches... Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:
I have not checked into others, but FMCA quoted me a nice rate in the $500-600/month range for a married couple near 60, non-smokers.

Gosh, I just saw this and I think today is the deadline for getting insurance in January. Edit: I looked at the calendar wrong. The deadline isn't for another week--December 15.

FMCA's plan is NOT health insurance--it's an indemnity plan, and they are not the same, even though people selling indemnity plans make them sound like insurance. The plans do provide health benefits, but not the same way major medical insurance does.

That's why it would cost $600/month for two 60-year-olds. There's a reason it's so much cheaper than any other plan you can find.

A tipoff might be that someone with the FMCA plan still had to pay the penalty for not having ACA-compliant insurance (before the penalty was eliminated).

Indemnity plans do have a place in this world, but it's not the place most people assume, and it's definitely not the place for someone who wants broad coverage for health issues.

Escapees also offers an indemnity plan, and they similarly don't go out of their way to explain the difference between what they're offering and major medical insurance. I think both organizations should be ashamed of themselves for selling indemnity plans in this way, knowing that fulltime RVers in particular have issues finding plans that will cover them while they travel.

I hope you did a LOT more research into what an indemnity plan is before you signed up, if you were trying to do it for next year. Edit--it's not too late to sign up for real health insurance for next year, which gives you time to thoroughly research what an indemnity plan is, and decide if it will work for you.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
My mother in law had a Humana Advantage plan which while cheaper than many others was terrible. Among the many shortcomings, when she had to go from the hospital to nursing home rehab they only paid for one week and then we had to fight for coverage every week after that for three weeks and then they denied all coverage.
Their customer service was terrible and for months after her death they called us wanting her to buy a policy even though they were told she was deceased time after time and they kept saying her death was entered unto their system.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have United Healthcare through AARP. We do not belong to AARP, but it is affiliated with them. We have had their coverage for 4-5 years and our Medicare supplement with drug benefits is $32/month for the coming year. Humana is $99, but has a little better inpatient coverage. We don't PLAN to have inpatient care, so we went with the cheaper of the two.

I know what is offered by state greatly determines the costs, so I guess it will depend on where your home area is located.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
I have not checked into others, but FMCA quoted me a nice rate in the $500-600/month range for a married couple near 60, non-smokers.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
We signed up for Humana this year. We change companies almost every year as their coverage changes all the time. Last year we had Blue Cross with Humana for drugs. Find a good broker with a lot of knowledge in this area. Ours represents 6 different companies and is VERY knowledgeable. There is no one size fits all plan. You need to look at each one and compare.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS