cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadside Assistance Plans??

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
Would like some input & assistance on what our Forum Family can provide on what you have found to be the Best & Affordable Roadside Assistance Plans offered?

Have two (2) autos & one (1) small motorhome that should be covered. Either separately or All together on one Plan. Not sure of the most affordable way to approach this? Any an all your suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much for taking the time to assist this old SC. KC
27 REPLIES 27

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I ponder is that, if I had put aside the cost of a road service plan every year 40 years ago I would have lots of money left over after paying cash for what little roadside assistance I have needed. Pretty much the same for paid warranties. Heck, a retirement plan.
Jayco-noslide

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
AAA road side assistance plan.
Buyer beware! Do some research about rather AAA RSA plans are provided universally throughout the U.S., by state, by counties, by cities, by towns. Make sure you read the list of exceptions for your various vehicles.

Gottahaveit
I shop every yr and Progressive beats them all hands down. I don't have autos with them.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because you have a motorhome, make sure whatever plan you purchase covers "motorized" rvs. Some plans are only for towables. The plans for motorized rv's usually costs more. We have our motorhome, jeep, trailer and motorcycles all covered under coachnet - 1 plan.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
kioticoachman wrote:
rk911 wrote:
kioticoachman wrote:
Thank you! What becomes interesting, as I've noticed and please don't take this the wrong way, is my Auto insurance carrier will not cover/offer roadside assistance on my RV unless it is i$$ured by them.

not strange at all. if the RV isn't insured by the company then why should they provide roadside service for it?

In order to try to accommodate My multiple Auto & Home owner insurance carrier. I gave them the opportunity to give me an insurance quote for my RV to have them cover everything. It turned out that their Quote was over two times of the same coverage what I can get from my current carrier. That's what's strange!

too bad. it is nice to have everything with one carrier.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

kioticoachman
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
kioticoachman wrote:
Thank you! What becomes interesting, as I've noticed and please don't take this the wrong way, is my Auto insurance carrier will not cover/offer roadside assistance on my RV unless it is i$$ured by them.

not strange at all. if the RV isn't insured by the company then why should they provide roadside service for it?

In order to try to accommodate My multiple Auto & Home owner insurance carrier. I gave them the opportunity to give me an insurance quote for my RV to have them cover everything. It turned out that their Quote was over two times of the same coverage what I can get from my current carrier. That's what's strange!

et2
Explorer
Explorer
kioticoachman wrote:
craig7h wrote:
I have and had GS Roadside for many years and have had very good success with them. I also have AAA for more car type issues, even though my GS covers cars. When looking for one to cover your RV, to me it comes down to where the company will tow you to. How far or to where it seem GS covers towing to the first place that will repair.

Also I believe some of the Roadside carriers mentioned will increase your renewal rate significantly even if you don't have any claims the first year?? and you don't find out until renewal is due. I don't get it!

AAA will. They covered our road service when we changed to a different auto insurance years ago, they kept raising our auto rates. We left them for a number of years and recently went back as they are the lowest quoted once again. But you did have to stay a auto club member and pay the yearly fees.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coach-net. No other. No problems with them ever. Had major problems and have also heard recent horror stories with Good Sam.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
And FMCA covers all of your other vehicles.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
janstey58 wrote:
Check into FMCA RSA, $69/year with good reviews. You also have to join FMCA, which is like $30/year I think? But you get other great benefits with FMCA such as discounts on tires.

FMCA also includes getting your RV home for you should an emergency arrive. There is not extra cost for this service.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Check into FMCA RSA, $69/year with good reviews. You also have to join FMCA, which is like $30/year I think? But you get other great benefits with FMCA such as discounts on tires.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Some insurance companies offer roadside assistance, like Allstate, Progressive, etc. The problem with using your auto/RV insurer for roadside assistance is that each time you use them it could be considered a "claim" against your insurance. This may mean that your rates will go up next time and that other insurers will see that you made "claims" in the past few years which will affect their quotes for renewal. I think you are better off using Good Sams or Coachnet for your roadside assistance and let your auto/RV insurance company handle any big damage that may be needed.

That's true if your State allows it. This is where a person needs to know the rules.

My RV casualty insurance is through one insurance company. As part of their policy I have basic roadside assistance. That roadside assistance is not an option although I don't have to use it. It's an included "benefit" (sales & marketing) to attract RVers to their insurance. The actual roadside service is provided by another well known roadside service. Essentially, you get a free membership in that roadside service provided as a "benefit" by the insurance company. Because they are providing the service as a "benefit" of their insurance, they are prohibited by state regulations from using any claims for that service in their rate calculations. Now, If they had their own roadside service where they were providing the service directly, it could be a factor.

Lots depend on the state and other factors. It would be well worth an RVer's time to research their policy, plans and state regulations.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
So far I've had Good Sam and AAA. I can't rate either one better than average or low average. Good Sam did send guys out in rural Montana to take off my blown tire on our motor home and put on the spare. However the person on the phone said they could not locate a new tire that size anywhere near there. But there was a tire shop with it just a few miles down the road. When 1 side our of our tow bar came loose they were really no help at all. The cop was very helpful.
Changed to AAA. I haven't had a mechanical or tire failure yet but they were no help when I pulled under a tree limb an got wedged there. They couldn't even find my location on a state highway. Said they could not cut a limb or go on the roof. Understood, but they could have sent someone out to give advice? They constantly text about savings but so far it's not stuff I do. Only found 1 gas station that gives a AAA discount. I considering that my insurance company might provide road service that I need?
My son did have good experience with AAA on a trip with an old MH requiring several services.
Jayco-noslide

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve used CN three times in 2017 never a problem and my rate did not change. both are good like I said before two things ,the person on the phone and the tow contract provider if he,s busy in his shop there not going to drop the job and rush out to you who is a fixed pay by the GS or CN.