cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to head to SW Florida. Any suggestions?

daveblack99
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone!

The wife and I are contemplating packing up our 5th wheel here in Phoenix and heading to some heat and humidity for all of Dec and the first week of Jan. The temps are getting cold starting Friday ...

We are experienced in the SW USA - but have never been down through Florida. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to begin the search/planning?

We are looking for as warm as possible - and we would want the amenities that the nicer/larger parks offer (Pools/Htubs/Gym). We have 2.5 months booked at ORPS in Palm Springs CA so we would love to find something similar to that style of park. (https://www.outdoorresort.com/) On a golf course would be a plus for sure.

I would love some suggestions - even a few cities would be a great start? We want to be on the western side of FL and budget is up to $4K a month.

Thanks!!
17 REPLIES 17

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
I chuckle every time I read about the cost of snowbirding south of the big lake. While mostly true if you are still RVing and renting, it's false for the former RVers here in Imperial Bonita Estates. We're next to Bonita Springs, five miles from the ocean, and all the fine restaurants and other pleasures of SW Florida! Many here, like my wife and me, sold our motorhome, and bought a mobile (most have a carport, lanai, and Florida room). IBE is a co-op, and while you still have your own utilities to pay (who doesn't?), our maintenance fee which includes all the amenities (see the website at www.imperialbonitaestates.com) is $83 per month! There's an IBE clicky in one of my earlier posts.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I hope you have not been in south TX this past month...40 degree lows and maybe a high of 70 most days...

Decided to spend the holidays with family after 10 years of spending it on the road. 30 degrees here, 60 in Texas, doesn't look like we're missing too much.

Glad to hear you're in WPB enjoying the warmer weather. Happy Holidays.

As far as the OP, we like the area south of Tampa near the Gulf. Not old Florida, but still lots to do, and kinda affordable. Much further south is just too many people and costly for us.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw your post Clerbrook in Clermont FL, just west of Orlando has a golf course and isn't too pricy. 3 pools, several club houses and lots of
activities.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Florida Cold Snaps: = one night for only 2 hours before dawn, at 32/40 degrees and then by the time the sun comes up it's back into the 70's!

So-called Florida cold snaps like that trumps anything that Wisconsin can dole out which could last for weeks on end ALL day and ALL night below zero. :B

Yup I can handle a 'couple of hours' at night time only, of 30 or 40 degrees once or twice thru out the winter in Florida. :C

IMHO the draw a line below Orlando advice for warm weather, add to that expect all kinds of different bugs to be biting and eating you up alive. Hot and humid and not a breeze to be found.

I finally discovered the n. central part of Florida. First thing I noticed is it actually has breezes in this area all the time. Scenery is beautiful and the crystal blue springs all over this area are spectacular. Offering all types of recreation or just standing there enjoying them.

Crystal River area on the west side offers the same. Springs, the Gulf Coast and manatee watching or swimming with!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Beentherefixedt
Explorer
Explorer
Cold? in Phoenix? I am in Tucson...cooler yet than Phoenix and tomo will be 74 here. It has been a bit cooler the highs only in the 60's. But that is pretty nice weather.

I have been to both Florida and Arizona (where I am now) and frankly I do not care for Florida at all. To me it is one huge strip mall peppered liberally with strip joints, Cigarette outlets, tourist tchochke stores and a rather sad vibe. Worse yet it believes it's own Marketing press.

Now there are some nicer cities actually Orlando being one. But for my money Arizona is head and shoulders above the fabled Florida.

I remember one winter many years ago that I had gone to Florida to get out of the cold of Indiana and ended up buying a sweatshirt in Key West...the cold front had gone that far south. I finally caught a plane to Guatemala and then Belize.

So you can be cold almost anywhere.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope you have not been in south TX this past month...40 degree lows and maybe a high of 70 most days. Will have to compare the degree days of heating. Hereโ€™s his winter forecast that has not changed since August. Glad Iโ€™m not going to be in northern GA this winter.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
rocmoc wrote:
there are biting bugs in the winter

Hmm, we've been in the Fort Myers, Estero, and now Bonita Springs for ten years now, and I can count my number of no see'um and mosquito bites on one hand. Of course, after dusk, any sensible person should apply Deet or some other repellent. Only say'n.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
This winter is going to be colder than normal in the SE ...

Hey Ivy, what does your weather man predict for the south this winter. Been waiting for your yearly weather post to pop up.

sidebar: you still owe me a Yuengling. Don't care how much it's going to cost me in gas and time to get there, but I'm going to collect it for all the grief I've taken over the years.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There's always Boyds in Key West at $95 per night if you can get in.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

daveblack99
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
This winter is going to be colder than normal in the SE and my line is parallel to and below I-4. Most cold fronts stall around Orlando area making for it being colder and more rain. The fronts come down the state on a NE/SW angle, not as rocmoc stated. This late, it's going to be hard to find a month in any one location so you may have to settle on a couple weeks and then move.

Yeah we would be totally fine with 2 weeks there and then 2 weeks in the Keys!

daveblack99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies - that is some really great info.

@rocmoc - thanks for the detailed info that helps immensely! We have spotted the Silver Lakes RV park so just going to see if they have availability. Anyone stayed there? I am surprised at the lack of higher end/luxury parks in FL - compared to PHO/CA area!

We are originally from the Toronto area but have been west for well over 10 years now. It will be interesting to feel the humidity and see the mosquitos again if we go ...

The average temp for Dec/Jan in Naples look to be around 74 and Yuma is 69. Not much warmer - but we all know how cold it gets at night/if theres some clouds or wind here in the desert!!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some small, not resort level parks around Okeechobee you might get into.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This winter is going to be colder than normal in the SE and my line is parallel to and below I-4. Most cold fronts stall around Orlando area making for it being colder and more rain. The fronts come down the state on a NE/SW angle, not as rocmoc stated. This late, it's going to be hard to find a month in any one location so you may have to settle on a couple weeks and then move.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the same in the Past and Arizona is our home. Just draw a line across the state from West Palm Beach to Tampa. Stay below that line for what you are looking for. Some things to beware of are: humidity is lower than in the summer, there is fog in the winter, Cost are much higher for nearly everything, Traffic is worst than anything you will find in Arizona, reservations are required for most for the best Camping locations (late for this year, need to be made 6+ months early), there are biting bugs in the winter and Temps are NOT that much warmer than Phoenix & about the same as Yuma. Some of the best camping sites & activities are north of the above stated line. Florida has great Food (Cuban & Seafood) and State Parks. Good Luck!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA