cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Digital thermostat upgrade

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of the standard mechanical heat only thermostats that came with my starcraft satellite TT. You know the one with the on/off switch on top that's hard to flip and the heat setting on the bottom that's difficult to tell the temp when it will kick on.

I'm looking for suggestions on a digital thermostat with on/off switch that has a similar size footprint.
8 REPLIES 8

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Most home thermostats are powered by the control board in the furnace but an RV stat does not operate that way.

The RV stat is a simple mechanically driven on/off switch. Any residential stat with a battery backup will work. Most electronic stats have battery backup.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
garym114 wrote:
Plain and simple AA battery powered Hunter 42999.
Connect the heater wire to it and you are done.

Had a Hunter 42999 in our Spree, worked fine but darned if I could see the non-backlit screen in dim light. :M I later installed a Honeywell RTH5100B thermo that does have a backlit screen that lights up anytime a button is pushed. BIG difference, MUCH better. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford wrote:
I tried doing the same thing many years ago to replace my very basic, heat only, two wire mechanical thermostat in my 1999 trailer. I had a very hard time locating a unit as simple as I needed, so I just ended up buying the most basic digital programmable thermostat I could find at Home Depot, and it has way more features than I will ever need, but it fulfills my purpose. I never program it, but the built in digital clock is a nice bonus

That was going to be my option, basic as i could find, If i didn't get any solid recommendations.

thanks.

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Look at Honeywell RTH2300B about as basic as one could get. It's my recommendation for seniors who can't deal with the programming of the smarter ones. No reflection, of course.

Thanks, I'll check that one out. I'm not so much concerned with programming as I am with being able to turn it off without adjusting the temperature setting (convenience factor).

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Plain and simple AA battery powered Hunter 42999.
Connect the heater wire to it and you are done.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Honeywell RTH2300B about as basic as one could get. It's my recommendation for seniors who can't deal with the programming of the smarter ones. No reflection, of course.
Just found their RTH111B1016 for $20. Similar design.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I tried doing the same thing many years ago to replace my very basic, heat only, two wire mechanical thermostat in my 1999 trailer. I had a very hard time locating a unit as simple as I needed, so I just ended up buying the most basic digital programmable thermostat I could find at Home Depot, and it has way more features than I will ever need, but it fulfills my purpose. I never program it, but the built in digital clock is a nice bonus
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles