cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crack in slideout

RVtravelinRN
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Don't know if anyone can help me here. I have a crack on the bottom of my bedroom slide-out. I did some work on the bed frame (cause it was breaking) and noticed it after that. It has stayed the same size for a long time, but now I am noticing it getting bigger. Any suggestions on how to fix? I cannot access the crack from the inside without dismantling most of the slide-out. I like to fix as much stuff as I can by myself, but can't really find any advice for fixing it online. Thought I would check here for suggestions, before I had to haul it in to get worked on.
Thanks!

Tried to attach a picture, but cannot figure out how to do that...any advice?
7 REPLIES 7

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
The cheap solution to cover the problem, but not fix it. The frame needs to be reinforced. Ken

Not necessarily. My first unit, 2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy, developed a crack running diagonally from the corner of the bedroom slide about 3" long a year after ownership. When I traded it in 2012 the crack had not lengthened but did open about 1/32" when hooked to truck.
I saw it in 2016 nd it ha not gotten worse.

IMO, a crack that widens over time MAY indicate a frame issue.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I notice that Keystone puts a slit in the wall under the front bedroom slide on the lower corner of some of it's 5th wheels. They insert a filler piece to cover the slit. Guessing thats the place where most cracks are. Seems they don't trust Lippert either.

The cheap solution to cover the problem, but not fix it. The frame needs to be reinforced.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I notice that Keystone puts a slit in the wall under the front bedroom slide on the lower corner of some of it's 5th wheels. They insert a filler piece to cover the slit. Guessing thats the place where most cracks are. Seems they don't trust Lippert either.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I'd still want to know what the underlying cause of the crack is, especially since it seems to be getting worse. Whatever, please post back after your repairs to let us know if it worked, or not.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RVtravelinRN
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both. I will try the drill holes, and if it expands use the repair!

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
West systems epoxy fiberglass repair kit. That stuff will fix anything.

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
First, drill a small hole at each end of the crack. Observe crack over time and see if crack expands, if not don't worry too much about it.