cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traded in 5th wheel for couples TT

4hapyMcDs
Explorer
Explorer
Curious mind. How many have traded in from a luxury fifth wheel to a couples TT. We made the jump from 32 ft to a 22ft. Was worried at first but feeling happy on choice. I have lost touch with the wilderness. I want more freedom in choice of sites. Our TT still feels luxury, cheaper on fuel, can fit in almost anywhere.
The outdoors is a wonderful place to be....
23 REPLIES 23

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
This is something I'd like to do. I like our camper, and the toy hauler part especially on longer trips because it provides a lot of storage, but the reality is, most of our trips, we don't even take the toys and we're too big to go to a lot of the places I'd really like to go. Maybe someday we can have both ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 5vr to a Class C to our TT in the Sig. Very happy with the decision. We have no plans to go back...
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Yep,you can tell from my sig...went from full time in a great fiver to a tt and loving every minute. Easier to back up, easier to get into service stations, easier on us old timers. No regrets.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couples 5th wheel. One bed, two chairs at the dinning table and two recliners. Could be the same thing in a TT. No fold out sofa and no dinning booth for sleeping.

the_e-man
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
What exactly defines an RV as a "couples TT"

I've never heard or seen that term before

Is it something that two couples could camp in? Sounds crowded if that's the case.

My best guess is that a โ€œcouplesโ€ camper has only one dedicated bed so it is optimized for one couple. For example, a RL rear living, RK rear kitchen, or RB rear bath model. As opposed to a BH bunk house that is arranged more as a family style camper.
2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
What exactly defines an RV as a "couples TT"

I've never heard or seen that term before

Is it something that two couples could camp in? Sounds crowded if that's the case.
Bob

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
I made a similar change, with a twist. I had lost my wife and was finding the 40 foot motorhome a bit too much. In wandering a Florida dealers' lot found a nice 34 foot fifth with all that I wanted at a reasonable price. The deal developed to include summer storage and delivery to my site. perfect! I went back home, sold the motorhome and found a nice 25 foot floorplan that suited my needs. Deal done and I have a nice rig for the state parks of northern NY and my snowbird rig in Florida.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
Like many, we started small and went around the country twice in a 22ft. TT. But now love the 28ft. Jayco with slide, BUT, somewhat harder to find sites in Natl. parks and State parks, which we enjoy. We don't ever plan to go bigger than the 28ft., but do enjoy the more comfortable space. I spend most winters now in a sunny RV park in S.Cal, while wife has her own 17ft. Casita TT which she pulls by herself since she prefers to travel more in the winter. We are planning one more around the country RV trip next winter in the larger Jayco.
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I'm parked in the Gilbert Ray campground in Tucson, AZ in my 21' travel trailer, watching the big 5th wheels & Class A's drive around the loops looking for a space, then head back out of the park. Many sites are available that will fit my trailer, but the few that fit a large RV are already filled.

While many state parks have large sites that will accept just about any sized RV, the smaller you get, the more likely you will find a space in popular locations. Of course there are disadvantages to small trailers, but if they fit your style of travel, there are advantages as well.

4hapyMcDs
Explorer
Explorer
Vintage465 wrote:
As you can see there is a ton of choices here. No two campers want the same thing. One thing I didn't see was the mention of where and how you plan on staying. If you stay at RV Parks and resorts there is no issue with any size rig. If you stay and state, county, fed and private parks you will(I have)found that many places wont/can't accept a rig with a trailer longer than 25 feet. Also the campgrounds seem to forget you have a tow vehicle too. There are a lot of places I can get my trailer and then struggle to get my pickup parked. Sometimes.........I rent two spots, one for the trailer and one for the tow vehicle. All said and done, I like the smaller trailer we have and the short bed(and I'm a long bed kinda-guy)pickup for easy maneuverability. But every now and then we will walk in a longer trailer with a slide, two swivel rockers and a nice big shower......................and think.........

Sure the beauty of having it all on the inside along with so much extra storage is nice. For us personally I found we were losing that true camping feeling. We want the choice of premium sites or back in the woods. I want freedom. I weighed the pros and cons for a year, happy with our choice. Enjoy and ty.
The outdoors is a wonderful place to be....

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
As you can see there is a ton of choices here. No two campers want the same thing. One thing I didn't see was the mention of where and how you plan on staying. If you stay at RV Parks and resorts there is no issue with any size rig. If you stay and state, county, fed and private parks you will(I have)found that many places wont/can't accept a rig with a trailer longer than 25 feet. Also the campgrounds seem to forget you have a tow vehicle too. There are a lot of places I can get my trailer and then struggle to get my pickup parked. Sometimes.........I rent two spots, one for the trailer and one for the tow vehicle. All said and done, I like the smaller trailer we have and the short bed(and I'm a long bed kinda-guy)pickup for easy maneuverability. But every now and then we will walk in a longer trailer with a slide, two swivel rockers and a nice big shower......................and think.........
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we made the change as well. From a 32' 5er to a 20' TT. Yes, our daughter ditched us and camping, so having a bunkhouse for she and a friend was not necessary anymore. My wife, dogs, and I have gotten backing into camping at state and national parks. And yes, going where a 32er footer would not easily go. No heavy diesel truck but a smaller truck which is less thirsty on the daily work commute. Don't regret the change a bit.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 32' 5th wheel to a 32.5' TT. I like towing the TT better. More responsive to inputs from the truck while backing into tight campsites. Our Jay flight 28RLS is a couple's trailer. :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a 24 but after a year went to a 28 foot. No regrets, awesome.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL