cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paying For Water

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
Staying here in Florida at Blueberry Hill a Sun Community RV park. They just got finish installing water meters so we can start paying for water! Was wondering if any other parks or charging for water and the names of the parks that are! Also how much or your water bills running?
Thanks
60 REPLIES 60

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
It's apparently a Sun thing. The letters are currently going out to the annual sites here at Rock Crusher advising that the meters will be going in. At the moment, it's only long term sites that will be metered. I'm a snowbird and my four month stay will not be metered at this time. There is aalso talk of metered electric on the way, which I expect will include my site.
In talking to the folks in the office, it's apparent the park has an enormous water bill they are trying to mitigate the cost of. There have been rate increases annually since Sun bought the park, generally at 2% or less a year.
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
water use us a priviledge, not a right. Some day people will start to realize this and act accordingly. In the West, the value of water is more appreciated especially in a dry state like Nevada.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

Nope they don't owe me a living and yes I can move on.
EXCEPT if you are camping in Florida.

I've been all over and they don't charge you an arm and a leg.

The ONLY time I saw this was crossing over the Georgia/Florida state line into Florida.

Florida DOES take advantage that it is a winter destination and over charges, and adds charges for everything, regardless of level of CG.

It's the only CG's that I have ever stayed at that also charged a bed tax on top of the state tax. Whether it is near an attraction or not.

Would it surprise you to know that we'll be staying at six different RV parks in Florida from late January to late March and the most expensive site we'll be on is $25.38/night including all taxes and fees?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a seasonal site at a Sun RV park and was planning on arriving the first of the year. A friend just saw the site I had and they put a mobile home on that site. Not a complaint of mine as I know they are in business to make money.

To get to the conversation here I did mention that some parks are putting water meters in. The agent at this park then confirmed that they also are putting in water meters. All Sun RV sites are doing this.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:

It's the only CG's that I have ever stayed at that also charged a bed tax on top of the state tax. Whether it is near an attraction or not.

There are no RV parks in Florida that are NOT near some type of attraction. RV park owners do not have any control over the taxes they are required to impose.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Gee, some of you sound as if the RV parks where you are staying OWE you something and are REQUIRED to get your permission....

The ONLY time I saw this was crossing over the Georgia/Florida state line into Florida.

Florida DOES take advantage that it is a winter destination and over charges, and adds charges for everything, regardless of level of CG.

WHY DO YOU RETURN SINCE IT BOTHERS YOU SO MUCH? I would avoid FL. if I did not approve of their rules. I feel sure you will change their rules by complaining on this forum. :S

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Gee, some of you sound as if the RV parks where you are staying OWE you something and are REQUIRED to get your permission....

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
want-a-be wrote:
They just got finish installing water meters so we can start paying for water!

Perhaps you should rephrase?

They just got finish installing water meters so we can start knowing we have been paying for water.

You were always paying for water.

During the same day threads pop up about paying for water and paying for electricity. IMO if you intend to ***** and moan about that, then you should go elsewhere where its buried in the overall cost and you can think you're getting it for free. It's not a surprising development however knowing what the demographic of this forum is.

Of course, that is true. But do you really think they will reduce the lot rent now that everybody (at least the long term renters) is paying for water (and/or electric)?
I wonder if they are going to have the meters (or already did) calibrated? In many states, if you are charging for something by weight or volume, the measuring instrument must be calibrated by a State approved agency.
We spent three months in a CA RV park near Oceano, where they were installing electric meters on all the long term stay lots. Then suddenly they removed all the meters, and re-installed them a month later, with a new certified calibration sticker on them. They also, so we were told, found that they could only charge what they were paying for electricity. A profit was not allowed unless they got a state license as a Utility Company.

If I was a park owner I would forego meters, set my prices as per below and make a profit on the utilities.

Base nightly rate. $15.00
Weekend/Holiday.Add. $4.00
Electric. Add. $6.50
Water. Add. $8.00
Sewer. Add. $5.50
Modern.-
(Showers and
Flush toilets
in park, charge
everyone) Add. $4.00
Extra vehicle. Add. $5.00
Pet site
(Charge even if
no pet) Add. $2.00

Total. $50.00 per night.

I would make a profit that way on the utilities.

Oooooops, that's the PA DCNR price structure for State Park Campgrounds.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
They also, so we were told, found that they could only charge what they were paying for electricity. A profit was not allowed unless they got a state license as a Utility Company.

In CA (San Diego excluded), as you mentioned, they can only charge the actual usage based on posted rates from the utility service. But, they can also (currently) charge you $2 for a water meter, $3 for the electric meter, and $4 for gas meter as well as a "reasonable" admin cost to read and invoice from that meter.

I belive they can still RUBS for common area usage providing that usage is dedicated only for those who are on meters. So they can't have a long term metered area and a short term non metered area where they try charging all common areas to the meter units alone. The meter units only pay for common area utilities dedicated to their use only.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
want-a-be wrote:

They just got finish installing water meters so we can start knowing we have been paying for water.

During the same day threads pop up about paying for water and paying for electricity. IMO if you intend to ***** and moan about that, then you should go elsewhere where its buried in the overall cost and you can think you're getting it for free. It's not a surprising development however knowing what the demographic of this forum is.

Of course, that is true. But do you really think they will reduce the lot rent now that everybody (at least the long term renters) is paying for water (and/or electric)?
I wonder if they are going to have the meters (or already did) calibrated? In many states, if you are charging for something by weight or volume, the measuring instrument must be calibrated by a State approved agency.
We spent three months in a CA RV park near Oceano, where they were installing electric meters on all the long term stay lots. Then suddenly they removed all the meters, and re-installed them a month later, with a new certified calibration sticker on them. They also, so we were told, found that they could only charge what they were paying for electricity. A profit was not allowed unless they got a state license as a Utility Company.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry that the posters on this tread have been so mistreated. They have no alterative except to pay. They cannot leave and cannot do without water for over 30 min. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME. :S

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
want-a-be wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dads spirit just reminded me.

Nothing in life is free.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.