Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you seen the smart Airstreams?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clicky

I wonder if they still only have one water pump switch?

I have Alexa and some light and fan controls in the house but I’m not sure if I want another level of complexity and stuff to keep up after in an RV.

Turning on the belly lights with my phone would be nice though.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
17 REPLIES 17

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
Time to get rid of your flip phone folks!

Whoa there - there is a new replacement for a flip phone out?

When you absolutely, positively, must get a call or data out a flip phone will work when a smartphone won't. The reason is the system was originally set up for flip phones, and a flip phone only needs to "see" one tower, where a smartphone needs two. My wife and I have smartphones, but the daughter has a flip phone, and we always make sure she brings her flip on any trips. It comes in handy sometimes.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
So many RV's have these kinds of electronics today that I don't see any real issues with Airstream wanting to join the wave. More and more electronics are coming and you will have the choice of joining or stand aside and watch the parade go by. This is the future (and current) trend in all things. Time to get rid of your flip phone folks!

And cable/satellite TV as well, internet is the new TV..

:E

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
And this is exactly the reason why, same with your automobile. KISS (Keep it simple...) means YOU may have the ability to fix it yourself. Thus the servicing companies won't be getting business to do the work, if YOU or ME do it ourselves.

However, make the system so complicated, so computerized, so specialized that the "average" owner has no way to fix anything. They've done this with automobiles a long time ago. Let something go wrong with the main computer in your car and nothing works. You have to have the car towed to an "authorized" repair shop and then they can charge any rate they want. You are hog-tied for sure. At their mercy.

I still think it's a deliberate attempt to keep the average owner from being self-sufficient and it makes opportunity for more revenue for the manufacturers, repair shops, dealerships, etc., but NOT you or me!

On the other hand, we ALL have the option of getting rid of our sophisticated, mechanical marvels and just go back to a simple tent that's held up with a rope!
I think you may be partly correct, but OTOH you may be giving the auto companies too much credit. I think a lot of the complexity goes hand-in-hand with adding bells and whistles to create a "new" car/truck/SUV that Madison Avenue can convince us we can't live without. If no vehicles are produced that aren't at least a little different from last year, sales will drop. Electronics are the way forward to creating a new demand every year. So I don't think it's a grand conspiracy, the added complexity and need to take everything back to the dealer is just a added happy benefit (for the dealer) to the electronics.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
wrktfsh wrote:
The simpler, the less moving parts, software, firmware etc......the easier it is to fix and maintain

Agreed. Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should. I'd rather do something manually then have an electronic board fail that you can't replace. Admittedly, the whole engine is electronic now.

And this is exactly the reason why, same with your automobile. KISS (Keep it simple...) means YOU may have the ability to fix it yourself. Thus the servicing companies won't be getting business to do the work, if YOU or ME do it ourselves.

However, make the system so complicated, so computerized, so specialized that the "average" owner has no way to fix anything. They've done this with automobiles a long time ago. Let something go wrong with the main computer in your car and nothing works. You have to have the car towed to an "authorized" repair shop and then they can charge any rate they want. You are hog-tied for sure. At their mercy.

I still think it's a deliberate attempt to keep the average owner from being self-sufficient and it makes opportunity for more revenue for the manufacturers, repair shops, dealerships, etc., but NOT you or me!

On the other hand, we ALL have the option of getting rid of our sophisticated, mechanical marvels and just go back to a simple tent that's held up with a rope!

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Time to get rid of your flip phone folks!

Whoa there - there is a new replacement for a flip phone out?

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
wrktfsh wrote:
The simpler, the less moving parts, software, firmware etc......the easier it is to fix and maintain

Agreed. Just because they can do it doesn't mean they should. I'd rather do something manually then have an electronic board fail that you can't replace. Admittedly, the whole engine is electronic now.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

wrktfsh
Explorer
Explorer

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know, if there's enough resistance to unneeded complexity and "gadgetism" the RV industry may rethink their silly plans. KISS

After all the auto industry actually put knobs back on some of their vehicles' controls.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
So many RV's have these kinds of electronics today that I don't see any real issues with Airstream wanting to join the wave. More and more electronics are coming and you will have the choice of joining or stand aside and watch the parade go by. This is the future (and current) trend in all things. Time to get rid of your flip phone folks!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
When we use our camper, it is to travel, see the sights, and get away from our normal hustle and bustle life. The simpler the better. This would not be a good fit for us. But, I’m sure there are plenty of folks who would love this!

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago we stoped buying any appliance with digitized, computerized controls.
All we need on most appliances is on/off, timer, temperature.
The simpler the better, easier to fix.
This first happened when it was cheaper to buy a new A/C than getting the tiny control board replaced.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Not worried about it getting hacked. I am worried about cheap Lippert **** breaking and not being able to put on my Air or pull in my awning.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
...then it will get hacked.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
With the changes occuring in technology so fast these days, I don't think getting an RV with these kinds of bells and whistles is very practical. All you need is a forced update to the main device and bam! Nothing works.