cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protector

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to install a hard wired surge protector. The question I have, before going to the trouble of wiring the protector up to include the generator how many of you ever heard of someone having trouble with their generator and the surge protector saving them??
Thanks For All Comments!
11 REPLIES 11

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Just so ya know

(UPDATE 8/3/18- Progressive Industries has been sold to another company and that new company is basing manufacturing out of Mexico now, so Progressive is no longer made in the USA. They have also cut back tech support hours. We hope this doesn't greatly affect the product performance, quality and customer experience, but only time will tell.)
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

westom
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
I can only imagine what else would have gone without the surge protector.

No surge protector protects from all anomalies called a surge. For example, some surge protectors protect from a low voltage. Others may protect from a reverse polarity. Since the term "surge protector" is subjective, than all those are called surge protectors. And make no claim to protect from lightning.

Then naive consumers assume it protects from all anomalies called a surge.

A surge protector that protects from lightning must be attached to the pole. Since that protection only exists when a low impedance connection to earth ground electrodes is that short.

A surge protector for campgrounds typically address completely different anomalies called surges including open neutral, missing safety ground, reverse polarity, and low voltage. None even detect a missing earth ground - which is necessary to protect from lightning.

The expression 'surge protector' typically says nothing useful. No decision or conclusion can exist until after every unique feature for that protector has been discussed - with numbers.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG,

Hughes now includes surge protection and "fixes" low voltage. An autoformer is a much better choice. The Hughes does cost more.

I chose a Sola Basic autoformer and have added better surge to it than what is in the PI, SG, or Hughes.

Cost was less than any of the three, but it does require being able to do some quite basic wiring (at the level of adding a male and female plug).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A surge protector and an autoformer are two different things with different functions.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
2 years ago, we installed the surge protecter in line with the shore power chord, no problems since.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read infrequent posts of a voltage regulator getting out of adjustment.
And have read many posts of a bad connection in the transfer switch causing voltage issues.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I suffered a lightning strike in Billings Montana...actually it struck a tree about 20 yards from the coach...but it fried the surge protector, my middle A/C, the microwave and a couple other small things. I can only imagine what else would have gone without the surge protector. I wired around the surge protector so I could use shore power but no genset until I was able to get it repaired. It was under warranty so I didn't want to repair it myself. I use both the wired surge protector and Hughes Autoformer no matter where I am.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI would investigate autoformers...โ€ x2
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would investigate autoformers before you leap to a surge protector.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Modern RV generators are "Smart" devices. Now portables may or may not be but for example ONAN's monitor their output and if it does anything strange. STOP. (Shut down).. So I'd not worry about Generator power.

Plus should the unit ever fail as my vintage portable did. You still have the Generator power while you repair/replace.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure a genset voltage/frequency problem can happen, but never heard of it and believe it is rare. As a result, I wired my surge protector on the incoming shore power cable to also protect the transfer switch.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy