Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Half Ton MPG Actual vs Advertised Test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Half Ton MPG Actual vs Advertised Test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/18 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why they included the Raptor in this mix makes no sense, as it is not a conventional truck. Its towing capacity is probably the lowest. While its ground clearance and suspension capabilities off road are much greater.
Having had a Raptor, I can say fuel economy is not a big consideration when buying one.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/18 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A sample of one is meaningless.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/18 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How closely did they stick to the EPA test procedure?

Unless they stick rigorously to it, there will be differences in your ad-hoc testing.

Yes, the official procedure has issues and could be improved...but the point is it's consistent. You get tests like this where they introduce significant differences and then criticize the results are far worse.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/18 01:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I burn about $5500 worth of fuel per year in my truck. If I knew a Ram could do 10% better it could save me about $11,000 over a 20 year period. With inflation that might more like $20,000.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/18 04:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EPA numbers should never be used to tell you what you will get.

The numbers should only be used as a comparison between vehicles. One should never expect to get those MPGs.

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/18 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I burn about $5500 worth of fuel per year in my truck. If I knew a Ram could do 10% better it could save me about $11,000 over a 20 year period. With inflation that might more like $20,000.

Yeah, but in the real world, the Ram still got 3.5% better mileage than the Ford!

RVing since 1995.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/18 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

Do people actually buy trucks based on their mileage rating? I think most purchases are based on price, brand, looks etc. They’re trucks, they all suck, literally.

One ton Ford 7.3 has recorded 23.8 mpg.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/18 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joshuajim wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Yeah, but in the real world, the Ram still got 3.5% better mileage than the Ford!

I was thinking more with regard to the Ram diesel getting 10% better fuel economy than my Ford..... and I don't know if it does or not but it wouldn't surprise me to learn the Cummins gets better fuel economy. In this test of gas engines it was the Chevy that does about 11% better than the Ford. Anyway people haggle over purchase price and will let a couple thousand dollars sway their decision as to which truck to drive .... not considering fuel economy in the equation is really kind of silly.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/18 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joshuajim wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

You are missing the point. The Ford driver knows what the mpg will be when they purchase the vehicle. The Ram driver maybe, maybe not.

The question is not who got the best mpg? But based on the info provided by the manufacturer who got the vehicle they researched?

I am holding out judgement until they get a few more miles as maybe it is running rich on the break-in tune.

joshuajim

Mojave Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/18 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

joshuajim wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

You are missing the point. The Ford driver knows what the mpg will be when they purchase the vehicle. The Ram driver maybe, maybe not.

The question is not who got the best mpg? But based on the info provided by the manufacturer who got the vehicle they researched?

I am holding out judgement until they get a few more miles as maybe it is running rich on the break-in tune.

No, the point is that the Ram got better mileage. No one actually believes the EPA mileage. By the way, I own a Ford EcoBust that gets terrible mileage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Half Ton MPG Actual vs Advertised Test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.