cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need radiator for 8.0 QD

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody know the part number and/or a source for a radiator? Servicing genset today and saw a little antifreeze drop on the bottom. Looked up inside and the radiator is pretty wet. Obviously been seeping for a while
2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 34pdd, Cummins ISB 300, Allison 2500MH, Onan 8.0QD
Prior Toad-2001 Chevy 2500 CC 4WD
Toad-2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Aventa II
6 REPLIES 6

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have completed the job- almost. Just gotta get a new radiator cap. The radiator was leaking on both ends. Could have been repaired but with the condition it was in I decided to just put a new one in.
Kind of weird as the coolant has always been well maintained. Changed every 3-4 years and always use distilled water and a good quality coolant. Maybe corroded from the outside. Oh well, got everything replaced inside that I figure could give me trouble so should be good for a while now.

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like itโ€™s leaking out both ends of the core where it connects to the tanks. Gonna take it to a radiator shop and let them clean and pressure check it and let me know if they can fix it. Doesnโ€™t look promising though. Iโ€™ll try to post up a pic if I can figure it out.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
JackMS wrote:
I got it out and the radiator has a different number on it but everywhere I can find says that is an old number replaced by the number you gave me. While itโ€™s out, Iโ€™m gonna change belt, thermostat, temp sensor and all hoses. Can anybody think of anything else that may be an issue later?

Jack,
Got it out huh? Any idea where it's leaking yet? As for checking/replacing anything else other than what you've listed, well, not that I can think of. Let us know what you find out.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
I got it out and the radiator has a different number on it but everywhere I can find says that is an old number replaced by the number you gave me. While itโ€™s out, Iโ€™m gonna change belt, thermostat, temp sensor and all hoses. Can anybody think of anything else that may be an issue later?

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Scott. Yes it might be able to be repaired. I would have to make that call once I get it out. The question would come down to if it is worth repairing a 13 year old radiator. Iโ€™ve had the unit out twice in itโ€™s lifetime. While it is not too difficult it is still a pain with a bad back and neck. From what I can see it looks like it is leaking where the core connects to the top tank. On the good side, it will give me the opportunity to replace the belt, thermostat, temp sensor etc again while itโ€™s out. Thanks again

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
JackMS wrote:
Anybody know the part number and/or a source for a radiator? Servicing genset today and saw a little antifreeze drop on the bottom. Looked up inside and the radiator is pretty wet. Obviously been seeping for a while

Jack,
Before I'd get out the wallet and credit card, I'd wanna make darn sure it's not something else. Now, if you've done that and, you're dead sure it's the radiator, then it can be repaired, unless it's catastrophic. I've had my 7.5QD almost completely apart for repairs on a few items and, I had my little radiator checked out at that time. And the radiator shop said if it needed repair, they could handle it just like any regular copper/brass radiator.

Now, in the event you actually DO need one, here's the part number that covers many models of the QD Gen. You'd have to verify this with your local Cummins/Onan service center/parts personnel to make sure it's applicable to yours.
Scott

130-6936
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND