08 F350 CC SWB Lariat 6.4 PSD
Pull Rite Superglide 18K
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo
8 REPLIES 8

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I have a #45 and my Brother a #65. They are great cameras with lots of features. I have never gotten use to the front collision warning chime and for the first couple of hours on each trip I keep looking at the warning lights for the levelers when I hear it.

I think the cameras are great CYA devices but there are caviotes, in many jurisdictions they can be used by your insurance provider in case of an accident or by the other party's carrier. I am not sure of if and when a LEO is entitled to see or obtain information from the memory. In CA by law any recording you make with a dash or rear facing camera is your personal property and if requested by a LEO, only thirty seconds prior to an accident thru 30 seconds after the accident can be asked for. That goes for lawyers and insurance adjusters also.

The Garmin's record all sorts of information at a impact save. Speed, coordinates, voices inside the vehicle, direction of travel. As near as I can figure out in California only the video has to be surrendered. In as far as my brother is concerned, the voice recording would not be nice to hear. His language is not always appropriate.

I don't know about other locals.

I have the Garmin 45 as well. I've turned off the inside sound. No one needs to hear the names I call stupid drivers especially if they do something stupid directly in front of me. I was never really a "Garmin" person until we started RVing. Now I don't take off without this one powering up and the GPS.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have a #45 and my Brother a #65. They are great cameras with lots of features. I have never gotten use to the front collision warning chime and for the first couple of hours on each trip I keep looking at the warning lights for the levelers when I hear it.

I think the cameras are great CYA devices but there are caviotes, in many jurisdictions they can be used by your insurance provider in case of an accident or by the other party's carrier. I am not sure of if and when a LEO is entitled to see or obtain information from the memory. In CA by law any recording you make with a dash or rear facing camera is your personal property and if requested by a LEO, only thirty seconds prior to an accident thru 30 seconds after the accident can be asked for. That goes for lawyers and insurance adjusters also.

The Garmin's record all sorts of information at a impact save. Speed, coordinates, voices inside the vehicle, direction of travel. As near as I can figure out in California only the video has to be surrendered. In as far as my brother is concerned, the voice recording would not be nice to hear. His language is not always appropriate.

I don't know about other locals.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
KDLINKS
That camera was recommended by quite a few members of the Escapees full time forum.
Mine is about two years old.
What I did not like about it (probably the same for the others too) is that it plugs into the cigarette lighter.
The plug-in thingie has a small voltage step-down transformer inside. My work-around was to hardwire the plugin thingie into the system and tape it to a wire bundle under the dash.
It works great with good image quality.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

I use the Garmin, and I also had them ( Garmins ) in 55 of our delivery trucks... We just removed them to be replaced with Samsara products.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Rexing brand deserves a hard look as well.
Puma 30RKSS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
What ever you do, avoid stuff from Spytec.
Absolute junk but when you tell them it failed after 3 months they will send you another one. It will be junk too - right out of the box. Then you get crickets.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin Dashcam 55 - got 2 of them and the resolution on the 55 is 1440P with a slightly narrower field of view. The 65W is 1080P with the wider field of view. I think the rest of the specs are the same. Except the price. The 55 is about $80 cheaper, on average. Has voice control, and built in wireless pic/vid sharing to a smartphone with the Garmin VIRB app. They'll both record around 8 hours of video/audio if you add a 64GB sdcard. Loop recording over writes at end of file.
I've got 2 of them. So far, so good.

There's an aftermarket (Chinese?) suction cup mount for them you can get through e-Bay for around $12 each, if you don't want to permanently mount the dash cam with the included Garmin adhesive magnetic discs.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we have, use and like the KDLINKS.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle