cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement stabilizers

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Recently back from another trip in my 2018 starcraft satellite (3700 GVW).

Two of my stabilizers aren't working (already replaced one). They are the 1 arm swing down type. I'm thinking of upgrading to scissor type, 2500 or 5000 lb weight, however, I've seen specs on 5000 and i believe the mount plate is wider than my frame rail. I believe mine is 2" wide while 5000 mount is 3" wide. After the rain stops, I'll go measure the rails to be sure, but from quick glace look to be 2".

I assume the 2500 is similar.

Anyone have suggestions on replacement stabilizers?
10 REPLIES 10

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Those scissor jacks will stick out a few inches if i mount them on the rail. If i do an angle mount, I'll need to fab (prefer welding) some sort of mounting plate. I'll have to find someone with tools and skill to weld that.

I also found another solution, saveajack which is a small footprint mounting plate that allows for removal of stabilizers. Not ideal to transport them, but better than having them stick out and cheaper/faster than finding welder

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not get either one of those you posted - especially the 2nd one. I would get 4 of these instead. They will last just about forever, are easy to mount just about anywhere, and are very easy to operate both with the supplied handle or with an electric drill. This is what I have had on all my trailers.

I agree with Lynnmor above about mounting them on an angle. You can span the corners and the jacks will help stop trailer movement. That should also solve the sticking out problem.
Barney

sissor jacks

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Mount them on an angle, they work better that way anyhow.

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
Here are the ones that came on my TT - http://domarproducts.com/stabilizerjack.html

One seems to be rusted at the pins, can't really tell at the screw. the other, has some rust but not much and I'm not exactly sure why it's not working. The one I replaced earlier, the piece where you attach tool snapped right off the screw.

Also, forgot to mention, my manual jack tool broke too. the pin that holds the socket piece on snapped and the socket fell off.

For now, I may just get a replacement via warranty (I'll call local dealer).

I see bal makes some pretty much identical to these.

The other type that would work is this one - https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack/etrailer/TJ01RT-HD.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrK22xpCG3wIVnv_jBx0A1gvIEAQYASABEgIa9_D_BwE

However, I'm not too keen on having it being manual jack, prefer something at least drill operated.

my TT and the stabilizers are made in indiana, maybe that's where the rust came from.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the beam type stabilizer that I put on out '88 Mallard. We bought a new '02 Itasca, and I was going to put it on that, but Ford changed their gas tank and the stabilizer the same way. So it lays in the barn.

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
The more i research scissor stabilizers, they won't seem to work for my TT. The frame is about 7" from the outside edge and the 5000lb scissor stabilizers I've been looking at will be 11" out from the TT. Not liking the idea of them being 4" past the edge of TT. I've been looking at 24" max height.

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
The rails are 2" wide.

I think i can do 1/4 plate cut longer and wider then the mount plate and put screws into plate/frame rail and bolt some into plate outside frame rail.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
DM6156 wrote:
I'm planning on replacing all 4. Within first year, 3 of 4 have broken.

My concern with scissor jacks I'm looking at, the mount plate being wider than frame rail and only being able to use 2 screws to install.

Drill new holes. Weld or bolt on an adapter plate, it ain't much of a problem.

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning on replacing all 4. Within first year, 3 of 4 have broken.

My concern with scissor jacks I'm looking at, the mount plate being wider than frame rail and only being able to use 2 screws to install.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Don't mix brands LOL. I needed two new ones and found that the replacements worked exactly backwards from the originals. Talk about confusing. Ended up replacing the others too.
Higher rated jacks, like 6500#, are built better with bushings or bearings where lesser models only have a washer. They will manipulate the RV with less effort too.