cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear springs and overloads for '99--07 F350

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
My dually truck has the 5+1 spring pack with the +1 being an overload, rawr is 8250.

I have the Hellwig 3500# spring pack sitting here, to use it the tech told me I have to remove the overload spring and brackets. Removing the front bracket looks to be a pita as it is riveted, the rear bracket is bolted so no probem. Also removing the overload spring takes away from the carrying capacity of course so whatever it is rated for has to be subracted from the 3500# added by the installed springs.

I also have the Hellwig overload springs sitting here, rated at 2200# which can be added on top of the existing overload, easy peasy. Tech said these springs will of course engage the overloads sooner.

So question is who has experience with this combo adding additional spring capacity and how did it turn out. My camper is going to be in the 4500# range I imagine, with addition of trailer possible.

Maybe another brand has a better solution?

I am guessing if the 3500# spring pack is installed the reason the overload brackets have to be removed as they can engage the spring pack relieving the tension on the brackets at the ends of the springs with possible dire consequences. Though the brackets appear to be quite a ways away from the present springs and with the 3500# springs tightened down they might and might not engage the brackets.

Would like to have all the spring I can install. And don't really want to remove the present OEM spring pack as that looks to be a chore, but it is possible.
38 REPLIES 38

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Marcela wrote:
Really liking the 7.3. Have done all the engine mods/upgrades and it runs pretty slick. Getting 12 mpg with winter fuel at about 1900 rpm or 60 mph.

The other day driving into a stiff quartering headwind driving about 60 and 1900 rpm was getting what I expected, about 12 mpg.

Coming back the wind was calm and drove at a speedier 67 mph indicated which was 21-2200 rpm. MPG sucked. Pushing all that air really took a toll, probably dropped to 10.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I found statically and down the road for the most part the 4400# springs with the OE overload and one Hellwig and bigger sway bar were working pretty well but the weight transfer going around corners and even long radius turns were begging for something better. The addition of the one more Hellwig overload (9703) makes for more stable turning, though a little stiff straight line. Probably straight line has to be a little stiff to comp for the weight transfer of turning, unless there is a large enough sway bar, which the one available for the 2001 F350 is not. Had a newer Ford F350 class C that had a larger Hellwig sway bar than this one.

Really liking the 7.3. Have done all the engine mods/upgrades and it runs pretty slick. Getting 12 mpg with winter fuel at about 1900 rpm or 60 mph.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, I might be doing the same for my 2002 CC f350 DRW I just got for my 1191. I was going to try lower stabil loads and carry over my airbags from the 2000 f250 to see how that does, also carry over the rancho 9000's and see if I can carry over the sway bar as well.

The truck had carried a TC at some point in its life, still had the happijack buttons on the back bumper.

I hear yah on the 7.3 prices being outrageous, I almost bought a 6.0 but saw this 7.3 and jumped on it, getting used to driving a stick again. The Low gear is going to come in handy.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That's a rock solid combo. Nice setup!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
The axle springs seemed to have settled into their new habitat. I installed the other leaf of the two leaf overload springs from hellwig. So now in addition to the 4400# spring pack installed, there is the two spring Hellwig 9703 helper springs. And the largest sway bar they make. This all on a 2001 F350 CC DRW with the Bigfoot 10.4 Makes a great cake.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Ron.

I would have picked a different color but there was no choice, take what you can get. For some reason kind of like the body style of these older trucks. Sold my '99 it was like getting rid of an old dog. And they are getting crazy prices with the 7.3. May be a classic one day.

The springs have settled some. The truck is pretty level with the camper on.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Marcela's Bigfoot and truck..

Cool setup..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Marcela wrote:
Took the truck down to the scales.

2001 F350 CC 2WD DRW 7.3, 3/4 tank fuel w/driver.
2019 Bigfoot 10.4, generator, battery, no water, no rear step, nothing else.

Steer axle 4240
Drive axle 7160
Total wt. 11,400

Ended up with adding one of the Hellwig overload springs, they are sold in pairs for each side, tried without any and both, one seems to be the compromise. So OEM single leaf overload plus one Hellwig overload spring per side plus the 4400# main spring pack.

Height loaded is 11'6".

Good info,thanks...

A BF or NL will be my next TC..

If you want to post a picture of your TC and truck,PM me and I will send you my email and post it for you.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I was surprised the weight of the'01 CC F350 DRW 7.3 2WD was pretty close to the new GMC Reg Cab SRW 6.0 4WD but guess the fully boxed frame of the newer truck and factory 5th wheel setup and 4WD is pretty heavy in comparison.

Think the big factor in ride and towing is the longer wheelbase and DRW, love those DRW!

Bedlam
That GVW is about where I was at with my 2005 Ford F250 and 2012 Arctic Fox 811 before I hitched up the trailer. Once you get the suspension tuned to your liking, you should have a great ride.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Took the truck down to the scales.

2001 F350 CC 2WD DRW 7.3, 3/4 tank fuel w/driver.
2019 Bigfoot 10.4, generator, battery, no water, no rear step, nothing else.

Steer axle 4240
Drive axle 7160
Total wt. 11,400

Ended up with adding one of the Hellwig overload springs, they are sold in pairs for each side, tried without any and both, one seems to be the compromise. So OEM single leaf overload plus one Hellwig overload spring per side plus the 4400# main spring pack.

Height loaded is 11'6".

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I would post a pic if I could but it is beyond me at this time how to do it.

Did put the overloads on for a test run. Since they have a little more arch they are just touching the bumpers. The only annoying thing is they slap going over the expansion joints at bridges and any abrupt suspension movement. They do help in cornering, the weak 1.3" big wig sway bar could be bigger so the overloads kind of take up the slack.

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you finally got it where you want it! Post a picture when you can

Bob
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
So took it out today, little sooner then I thought would happen.

The springs are about purrfect. The overloads were engaged a few times from the looks of things but nothing too abrupt. Handled the dips really well. Don't think it could be matched any better. Drove better then the SRW with 4100# springs for sure, prob cause of the DRW. Both have the hellwig big wig swaybar.

Makes me wonder if a rule of thumb could be 4000# camper=4000# springs, 5000# camper=5000# springs. With a big swaybar!

And best of all, the rear doors can be opened with just the smallest clearance from the front jacks if they are left extended about 4".

Happy trails!