Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macerater pump electric lines

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Getting a macerater pump for Christmas!
Anybody permanently run wires to near their tank dump valves?
I’m looking at doing so, either direct from the battery or from the 12VDC power panel.
I’m big on learning from other’s mistakes and not reinventing the wheel.
If you’ve done so, hints & especially pics would be great.
Thanks in advance.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,
15 REPLIES 15

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbopp wrote:
If you're pumping a long distance use lots of water in the black tank. I started pumping some "sludge" and the pump was working so hard I thought it would quit. I used the back-flush valve & added more water to the tank through that.

Use lots of water in the black tank under any and all circumstances. That is what flushes (please pardon the pun) the solids out of the black tank in the first place.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you're pumping a long distance use lots of water in the black tank. I started pumping some "sludge" and the pump was working so hard I thought it would quit. I used the back-flush valve & added more water to the tank through that.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boomerweps wrote:
Yes, it's a FlowJet.
Next, what size hose are you using for discharge and how far do you normally pump?
I expect I should get 3/4", maybe 1". I'm looking at 100' or slightly more to my sewer cleanout from my preferred TT home parking spot. Very slightly downhill.

I have 75' of 3/4" hose, and my run is dead level. Downhill will help.
Bobbo and Lin

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Boomerweps wrote:
Yes, it's a FlowJet.
Next, what size hose are you using for discharge and how far do you normally pump?
I expect I should get 3/4", maybe 1". I'm looking at 100' or slightly more to my sewer cleanout from my preferred TT home parking spot. Very slightly downhill.

50' max of 3/4" hose is recommended by the FloJet manufacturer.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it's a FlowJet.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I ran 10g wire from the battery + and - terminals. I fused the + wire at 20 amps.

The OP hasn't specified just which macerator he's getting but if it's the popular FloJet waste macerator the line feeding it power doesn't need to be separately fused as there's a 20 amp fuse in the macerator's switch handle.

True, but I never run a long wire from the battery to anywhere without fusing it at the battery end.

Good practice. I'd bet a short in a 20' wire connected to battery would be a smoking, melting mess.
I started using these type of fuses to connect to battery terminals. They accept a 5/16" bolt so a user can bolt the fuse to a battery terminal and use a 5/16" ring terminal with a bolt in the other end of the fuse to connect the (+) wire.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
I ran 10g wire from the battery + and - terminals. I fused the + wire at 20 amps.

The OP hasn't specified just which macerator he's getting but if it's the popular FloJet waste macerator the line feeding it power doesn't need to be separately fused as there's a 20 amp fuse in the macerator's switch handle.

True, but I never run a long wire from the battery to anywhere without fusing it at the battery end.
Bobbo and Lin

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I just take one of those little 7Ah batteries used for all sorts of stuff and place it in the compartment where the black and gray valves are. Then I run my grinder off of that. When the battery starts getting weak, I recharge it on the bench at home. I get 2 or 3 uses out of a fully charged battery.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
1' to 10' power supply run ....12 ga wire

10' to 20' power supply run....10 ga wire

20A circuit

On my 5th wheel I ran POS/NEG wires from front compartment battery to roadside side compartment terminating at a PowerPole connector.
Changed out portable macerator pump connector and VIAIR compressor connector to PowerPole

For curbside power to use VIAIR compressor I have a 12V extension cord
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran 10g wire from the battery + and - terminals. I fused the + wire at 20 amps. I had a 2 wire connector in the dump compartment (wasn't my Airstream). I had a mating 2 wire connector with the wires cut off and liquid electrical tape covering the wire stubs to plug in to cover the pins to prevent shorting out accidentally. It worked for 10 years. I pulled it out when I traded in that RV since the new owners would have no idea of why it was there.
Bobbo and Lin

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I ran ~ 20' of 12 gauge zip cord directly from the battery back to the waste gates on our Freedom Express, terminating the wires on Pin 4 (positive) and Pin 1 (ground) of a standard 7-pin Bargman connector. To protect the wire I fished it through a length of 1/2" rubber hose which was zipped tied to the trailer frame. At the front of the trailer I wired the positive through a 20 amp toggle switch so I could also control the macerator when standing next to the truck tailgate those times I might want to off load macerated black water. Works like a charm, have been using this system for years. :B

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
My pump calls for 14 ga wire.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The pump will call for at least 10 ga. wire and a limit on the length. Going thru the existing trailer wiring might not be a good idea. I simply added a connection point near the battery and made up a cable that reaches both of my sewer connections.

I used cable and 45 AMP Powerpole connectors from this site: Powerpole