cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS apps

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
I usually use google maps when driving and on a recent trip, used it find a local point of interest after dropping off TT and setting up camp. It took us down a state road and instead of taking a longer drive to the interesection with another state road, it took us on a short cut (make a right then left then right onto state road). The left was to a steep incline with a RR track at the peak that would not be possible towing my TT.

Ater the camping trip was over, was using google maps to drive toward a destination (state park) on the way home while towing the TT and it was using same route as mentioned above. Having known that ahead of time, I just took longer way to the interesection of the two state roads.

In addition, there are 2 entrances to the state park, one of which is not accessable with RV/towing trilers (weight and hight restricted covered bridge) but was the closest entrace.

I've noticed there are several apps (I have android phone) for "RV" and "Truckers", anyone using these? I see some have free trails and some don't.
6 REPLIES 6

DM6156
Explorer
Explorer
paulj wrote:
Do you use Google Maps to examine the details of the proposed route? This may be easier to do from a computer than a phone.

One step is to just zoom in enough to see all curves. Terrain view and sat view also give useful information. And then there's streetview.

Use those tools at home to review the area you just drove. You might even be able to see the inside of that covered bridge! And if there isn't a streetview, it's a good indication that the route is too minor to drive with a big RV.

There were signs posted well in advance of the covered bridge, so not an issue. There was a huge parking lot before covered bridge where we parked and was able to walk to bridge.

It was a trip we didn't plan, it was a place the campers besides us told us about, no laptop/PC. We did take a tablet.

Some places we camp, this isn't an option as there is no cell/wifi service, but great idea for places you know for sure you'll be going with the TT/RV.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you use Google Maps to examine the details of the proposed route? This may be easier to do from a computer than a phone.

One step is to just zoom in enough to see all curves. Terrain view and sat view also give useful information. And then there's streetview.

Use those tools at home to review the area you just drove. You might even be able to see the inside of that covered bridge! And if there isn't a streetview, it's a good indication that the route is too minor to drive with a big RV.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The standard CoPilot app has settings for various vehicle routing profiles including RV's. The RV profile can be edited to set the height, avoid LP restricted tunnels, etc.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using CopilotRV. It has saved us a couple of times from low overpasses when TomTom and Google maps would have taken us that way.

First year we traveled we had TomTom only. We set it for shortest route- big mistake. It took us down a 13% downgrade in the Catskills.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve downloaded Truckers Path on our iPhone and marked it to show Low Clearances but we’ve not gone on an unknown trip yet so we’ve not used it. It’s free.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DM6156 wrote:

I've noticed there are several apps (I have android phone) for "RV" and "Truckers", anyone using these? I see some have free trails and some don't.

While you are researching that, it might be helpful to stop specifying "shortest" for your route type, if you are doing that.

Shortest can get you into some REALLY unfortunate situations, even in a car.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"