cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yea, "cheap gas"

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
People are increasingly driving larger lower MPG vehicles and not cars I guess partly because they perceive gas to be cheap. Really. I don't think it's ever been cheap to keep fuel in a motor vehicle do you? Even as low as $2 something per gallon it can easily cost $50/week and much more. Not cheap to me. I think we've been tricked to be happy now because for awhile it was around $4. Also, who knows what it will cost in 1 year, 8 years? No one. I do have a motor home but my car will continue to be a compact that gets over 30 MPG.
Jayco-noslide
100 REPLIES 100

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Wife paid 1.78 for regular Saturday in Hamilton county, Tn. She did not say what station.
I paid 2.77 for 100% gas(no Ehtanol)93 Octane this am Marion county Tn.
Only station left selling it otherwise it would be 25 cents or more cheaper.
Prices are down from last week.Pilot just off exit last Thursday, WAS 1.84 with card that give an extra nickel off.

MrWizard
The whole USA is not super low price $2 gallon

A trip across Canada is not much cost difference than a trip across the USA

It will cost a bit more, but not double

Come drive around Calif for awhile, we pay about 50% more than the OP, per gallon, cost less next door on Az or Nevada
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Reisender. Feeling sorry for Canadians because their fuel costs are higher than yours is really missing the forest for a tree. If fuel cost is the one thing you remember from traveling through Canada, then you need to get out of your RV for more than fuel stops. There is so much more to see and appreciate.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
temccarthy1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
After spending a month in Canada this fall pulling my TT for 2000 miles and getting 9.5 MPG,I will never complain about prices of gas in NJ again since I averaged 1.29-1.35 per liter of regular gas in Canada which amounts to about $5 a US gallon! I hit new records in my Expedition for cost of a fill up-- $120- $127 each fill up!
Appreciate the fact that our gas prices in the US average HALF of Canada's per gallon!

Nope. Canada has its own currency. You converted litres to gallons but forgot to do the currency conversion.

1.29 per litre is 3.68 USD per US gallon.

In our hometown gas is 1.22 or about 3.48 USD per US gallon.

In our Old hometown (in ALberta) its around 99 cents per litre. or about 2.82 USD per US gallon.

Cheers

My point is I feel sorry for Canadians paying the equivalent of DOUBLE for their gas compared to average price in the US! a Canadian citizen with Canadian wages doesn't benefit from the 25% reduced value of Canadian $ compared to US $. the same goes for Europe. We complain about gas prices but have some of the lowest prices in the World1

Nope. Doesn't work like that. Canadians get paid in Canadian dollars. Its not all referenced to the American dollar. Doesn't make sense. Different society and culture and political and social support system. Not going to get into which one is better or worse as this is not the forum for that but comparing prices between countries with different currencies is like comparing apples and oranges. Makes no sense.

OK, forget exchange rates...So what does it cost you Canadian to fill your tank?.. lets say 25 gal or 96.875 L? It will cost me about $55 to fill mine with regular at current 2.19 a gal. I am pretty sure it will cost you a lot more! And that was my point in the first place! We have it good on gas in the US compared to Canada or especially Europe!

Gas where I live costs roughly what it costs in California if I do the conversion to US dollars. We are average priced. It is cheaper one province over. So yes where I live it is probably 30 percent more than where you live but about the same as other parts of your country. I'm not sure this is what you are getting at.

Re Europe. We spend lots of time there. Yes fuel is more expensive..mostly because of tax.but again, different society, culture, government and social programs. It also has considerably better infrastructure, transportation, security, etc. Again, one is not better than the other, just what the people choose. Some countries choose low taxes and low gas prices and others choose health care for everyone, security, quality of life etc. Everything costs money, people in different countries choose to spend it on different things. Its what makes the world interesting. No need to feel sorry for us.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
After spending a month in Canada this fall pulling my TT for 2000 miles and getting 9.5 MPG,I will never complain about prices of gas in NJ again since I averaged 1.29-1.35 per liter of regular gas in Canada which amounts to about $5 a US gallon! I hit new records in my Expedition for cost of a fill up-- $120- $127 each fill up!
Appreciate the fact that our gas prices in the US average HALF of Canada's per gallon!

Nope. Canada has its own currency. You converted litres to gallons but forgot to do the currency conversion.

In our Old hometown (in ALberta) its around 99 cents per litre. or about 2.82 USD per US gallon.

Cheers

My point is I feel sorry for Canadians paying the equivalent of DOUBLE for their gas compared to average price in the US! a Canadian citizen with Canadian wages doesn't benefit from the 25% reduced value of Canadian $ compared to US $. the same goes for Europe. We complain about gas prices but have some of the lowest prices in the World1

Nope. Doesn't work like that. Canadians get paid in Canadian dollars. Its not all referenced to the American dollar. Doesn't make sense. Different society and culture and political and social support system. Not going to get into which one is better or worse as this is not the forum for that but comparing prices between countries with different currencies is like comparing apples and oranges. Makes no sense.

OK, forget exchange rates...So what does it cost you Canadian to fill your tank?.. lets say 25 gal or 96.875 L? It will cost me about $55 to fill mine with regular at current 2.19 a gal. I am pretty sure it will cost you a lot more! And that was my point in the first place! We have it good on gas in the US compared to Canada or especially Europe!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
temccarthy1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:

Cheers

MrWizard
they are NOT paying double compared to me

i paid $3.22 gallon this week, and paid $3.60 gallon not too long ago
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:

Cheers

Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Just filled up on "fast-gas" for $2.99 in Komifornia.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
But those new SUVs have 19 drink holders!
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
Jayco-noslide wrote:
People are increasingly driving larger lower MPG vehicles and not cars I guess partly because they perceive gas to be cheap. Really. I don't think it's ever been cheap to keep fuel in a motor vehicle do you? Even as low as $2 something per gallon it can easily cost $50/week and much more. Not cheap to me. I think we've been tricked to be happy now because for awhile it was around $4. Also, who knows what it will cost in 1 year, 8 years? No one. I do have a motor home but my car will continue to be a compact that gets over 30 MPG.

well, that’s your choice and i applaud it. our first priority is picking a vehicle that fulfills our needs, second is reliability, third would be comfort and amenities. frankly, fuel efficiency is not really a consideration. that’s our choice. it’s good to have choices.

Our daily driver is a 16 year old V8 sedan that only gets around 18 MPG running around in town (25-27 MPG on the highway).

But boy ... does it have a comfortable ride, a quiet ride, and a powerful ride. I keep asking our mechanic how many more years he can keep it going - so far he says "no problem".

We get late model SUV's from our mechanic for loaners to use when our 2002 sedan is being serviced ... these new vehicles everyone is running around in ride NOTHING LIKE our ultra-smooth sedan. I'll bet that today's young folks are not aware of what they're putting up day after day in today's new vehicles - but these new SUV's and pickup vehicles sure do have a lot of gadgets and peer pressure appeal.

MPG is not a concern for us over vehicle comfort, quietness, and power.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MrWizard
just paid $3.12 for 87oct regular with rewards card at Ralphs gas station
$3.22 without the 10cents per gallon reward discount
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
We use a rewards card, it just depends on how much you hate being tracked by the corporations.

I save a dollar - one full US dollar - per gallon; do you think I care if they know what pasta sauce I buy or if I buy 85% or 90% lean ground beef? I can spend $88 a couple times a month filling up my RV or I can spend $56 each time saving me $32 each fill up. We expose ourselves to a whole lot of tracking on a daily basis so worrying about some supermarket knowing what coupons to give me is small compared to the benefits.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
$2.59 today in upstate NY.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate