cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end of sat. TV?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T just launched its "last" television satellite...

AT&T’s top boss, chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson, (during a meeting) “We’re kind of done.”

ATT declares the end

Pushing their new DirectTV Now service, it smells to me like they're passing the buck. Instead of having to pay huge bills to fly a new bird every few years, and run the ground uplink stations, they can pass the buck onto us consumers; we will pay for the transport, either through wireless service or direct connect internet.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
62 REPLIES 62

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:

In our case - our internet at home is provided via the same Verizon mifi that we take with us when we're in the RV. When we're not home the house does not have an internet connection! I don't know if we're the only people in the country who do it this way, but I'd be surprised if we were...

You are not. We do the same except we use AT&T for internet at home and traveling.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I will post with absolute certainty is that while AT&T may have launched their last satellite(s), satellite TV is not going anywhere any time soon. Put that statement in your archives and come back here in 2 years and I will be able to prove it!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

This is absolutely true, but it is also true that most people who have satellite tv are also paying for high speed internet in their homes (be it by satellite or cable). If you are carrying cable or satellite tv, but have no internet, it is a completely different equation that doesn't work out the same way. For most, however, internet is being paid for either way, so it doesn't 'add' to the cost.

In our case - our internet at home is provided via the same Verizon mifi that we take with us when we're in the RV. When we're not home the house does not have an internet connection! I don't know if we're the only people in the country who do it this way, but I'd be surprised if we were...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Those who say that streaming services are so much cheaper than satellite - you really need to factor in your internet costs to make it a fair comparison. There are a lot of people who do not have unlimited data packages, so streaming is not a viable option currently. And there are a LOT of people who might have a hard time, financially, paying for a truely unlimited data package, on top of paying for whatever programming package they want.

This is absolutely true, but it is also true that most people who have satellite tv are also paying for high speed internet in their homes (be it by satellite or cable). If you are carrying cable or satellite tv, but have no internet, it is a completely different equation that doesn't work out the same way. For most, however, internet is being paid for either way, so it doesn't 'add' to the cost.

Interestingly, we've had this dialog going on the last couple of days and, sure enough, out on the road this afternoon I heard a DISH commercial touting it's service to those 'beyond the end of cable.' Much like we've alluded to here, the main constituency for the future of satellite is the rural market, and DISH seems to be the one more primed to capitalize on that market. While DirectTV goes more towards streaming, DISH very well be the one that lasts longer in the traditional satellite market.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Those who say that streaming services are so much cheaper than satellite - you really need to factor in your internet costs to make it a fair comparison. There are a lot of people who do not have unlimited data packages, so streaming is not a viable option currently. And there are a LOT of people who might have a hard time, financially, paying for a truely unlimited data package, on top of paying for whatever programming package they want.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
lynndiwagon wrote:
Things WILL change for sure.

This is as true a statement as you can find on the internet! When I look at the difference between our 2006 Suburban and our 2017 Explorer...when I consider the fact that it was 1993 when I got my first email address...when I consider that Facebook (which is the antiquated granddaddy of social media) isn't even 15 years old...when I think about the fact that the iPhone (which has changed culture entirely) is only 11 years old...

The expediency of technological change is mindboggling!

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
lynndiwagon wrote:
With over 19 million subscribers, it seems unlikely that they would shut down service without a viable alternative......viable.

The statistic presents data on the number of DirecTV video subscribers in the United States from the first quarter of 2014 to the third quarter of 2018. According to the data, DirecTV had 19.63 million pay TV subscribers in the last measured quarter.

Yes, but this article in Variety talks about quarterly losses of 300k+ in the traditional tv-subscriber model. They are holding on to some by bundling, and gaining overall through streaming services, but they are losing in the satellite market. This articlefrom Fortune, this April, shows a similar theme.

Overall, traditional TV providers are struggling with cord-cutting. Satellite will hang on for a while because there is a rural market not met by high speed internet or cell networks, but I'm not sure how long that will last. 5 years - yes. 15 - I don't know!

No doubt about it, streaming video will become the choice in the future. I've tried streaming Directv and it was not a satisfying experience. I think things will change, but I still think satellite will be around for a while. I can remember when secure messages were sent using morse code...I did it. I remember "C" band and built my own redwood dish from plans out of popular mechanics, I used a cellphone that was in a big bag, so I sure understand change. Things WILL change for sure.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
The satellite may last fifteen years, but they may decide there's more money to be made off selling the bandwidth / spectrum to someone else well before the end of days for the birds.

This is total speculation. Considering those satellites cost a BILLION dollars each, it's more likely they will try to keep subscribers as long as possible to help offset the cost of the initial investments.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
lynndiwagon wrote:
With over 19 million subscribers, it seems unlikely that they would shut down service without a viable alternative......viable.

The statistic presents data on the number of DirecTV video subscribers in the United States from the first quarter of 2014 to the third quarter of 2018. According to the data, DirecTV had 19.63 million pay TV subscribers in the last measured quarter.

Yes, but this article in Variety talks about quarterly losses of 300k+ in the traditional tv-subscriber model. They are holding on to some by bundling, and gaining overall through streaming services, but they are losing in the satellite market. This articlefrom Fortune, this April, shows a similar theme.

Overall, traditional TV providers are struggling with cord-cutting. Satellite will hang on for a while because there is a rural market not met by high speed internet or cell networks, but I'm not sure how long that will last. 5 years - yes. 15 - I don't know!

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer

Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The satellite may last fifteen years, but they may decide there's more money to be made off selling the bandwidth / spectrum to someone else well before the end of days for the birds.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody needs to relax. A quick search will reveal that Directv just launched TWO new satellites. One will be for the Mexico market and the other will be for new 4K service for the United States. The article states that the life of these satellites will be at LEAST 15 years. AT&T probably sees no more NEW satellites, other than the ones just launched. Who knows what will be around in 15 years tech wise, let alone many of us. I suspect the low orbit internet satellites will take over.

So, don't worry be happy.

Article
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
^^X2

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
I want my local channels and the only way I can get those channels is with Cable or Satellite at my house. I am far enough away from where they broadcast from that OTR isn't an option. When I'm out of the broadcast area, forget it. When Youtube TV or Cell phone Streams or a Sling/Roku setup lets me get the local stations I like then I'm all in. I hate having to pay the big bucks to get what I want while others who aren't interested in local channels save a lot of money. I'm being punished for being old and liking what I like.

You can get your local channels with a antenna without cable/satellite, on the road you use your antenna to get local channels in that area, you can also watch your local news on the road thru wifi on YouTube, here in Vegas we can watch news 13 and news 8 thru YouTube without commercials anywhere there is internet....

Internet TV is expanding daily while cable/satellite TV is dying daily..

Spoken like a person that lives in level land near a large metro area.

A quarter (at least) of the population lives in rural areas with little or no OTA signal.
Add hills into the mix and it’s worse. We spend much of our summers in the heart of Ohio farmland. It’s very hilly and cell service is very spotty. The towns are small, many without cable. Internet is DSL if available. Satellite is king.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.