cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generator shuts off

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
The Onan 30 amp gasoline generator (sorry don't have the model number available) has shut off twice while driving. This is a new motor home and generator. We were running the gen strictly to power the refrigerator. The first time we were traveling at hwy speed and heard a loud "pop". Stopped and checked tires, etc. but never thought to check the gen and didn't notice it was off until we reached our destination. Traffic noise was so loud I didn't notice the gen wan't running. The second time no noise, but it wasn't running when we arrived home. Both times we were able to start the gen once we noticed it had shut off. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have other items taken care of, and I'll add this to the list.
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
22 REPLIES 22

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RRTom wrote:
The Onan 30 amp gasoline generator (sorry don't have the model number available) has shut off twice while driving. This is a new motor home and generator. We were running the gen strictly to power the refrigerator. The first time we were traveling at hwy speed and heard a loud "pop". Stopped and checked tires, etc. but never thought to check the gen and didn't notice it was off until we reached our destination. Traffic noise was so loud I didn't notice the gen wan't running. The second time no noise, but it wasn't running when we arrived home. Both times we were able to start the gen once we noticed it had shut off. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have other items taken care of, and I'll add this to the list.

Sounds like the problem will be taken care of, with whatever it is.
On another note, I'd see about powering your fridge with an inverter, when going down the road and if you already have one, see about getting an outlet back behind the fridge.
We had a problem with ours staying gas lit, in our old MH, so one afternoon after pulling in to a campsite, I found what I needed on board for running an outlet back there.
Later on, I devise a plug and play auto circuit for automatically switching it between shore power and the inverter.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Wire Man wrote:

It was brand new and under warranty that is why I took it back to the dealer to try and solve.

A logical thing to do.

I strongly suspect that a Cummins/Onan dealer would honor the warranty too.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MrWizard
I think cummins/onan will handle warranty issues with out going thru the dealer

deal with a 'Cumins' factory center, the repair NOT sell
skip the 'authorized' dealers if you can find an actual Cumins shop nearby

they have a pretty extensive network
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
RRTom, look in your owner's manual for the generator (available online if the dealer did not give you one) and the troubleshooting section will explain how to read the fault codes from the generator and what they mean. That is probably the best way to start to figure out why the generator keeps stopping.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
Wire Man wrote:
The dealer of course was no help because every time I took it back if would run fine.

If that was an RV dealer, I suspect that they wouldn't have been much help with the generator under most any circumstances.

A Cummins/Onan shop, however, should actually know what they are doing and their prices are not outrageous......at least in my experience.

It was brand new and under warranty that is why I took it back to the dealer to try and solve.
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
RRTom wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
Do you really have a refrigerator that REQUIRES 115 vac to operate ?

If so, that's not a very good arrangement.

Most all manufacturers have gone to residential refers in at least part of their lineup. Larger and less likely to burst into flames. However, most of them also provide an inverter and enough extra batteries to power the refer. In that configuration there is no need to run the generator to operate the refer. I don't know what kind of set up the OP has.

You would be pretty hard pressed to find a new DP these days with a propane refer and a good many gas motorhomes now come with residential refers.

We could run the refrigerator on propane, but what if we want to run the roof top A/C?

Of course you need to run the generator if you need to operate the A/C. However, you stated in post #1 that you were running the generator only to operate the refer. I assumed you had a refer that would not operate on propane since that would make a lot more sense than running the generator. So, I was just going by what you said.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:

Most all manufacturers have gone to residential refers in at least part of their lineup. Larger and less likely to burst into flames. However, most of them also provide an inverter and enough extra batteries to power the refer. In that configuration there is no need to run the generator to operate the refer. I don't know what kind of set up the OP has.

You would be pretty hard pressed to find a new DP these days with a propane refer and a good many gas motorhomes now come with residential refers.

We could run the refrigerator on propane, but what if we want to run the roof top A/C?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:

A far cry from "camping".

If I need a LARGE fridge or other creature comforts......we stay in a hotel.

It would take a really LOT of hotel nights to add up to the cost of owning and operating a big RV.

To each his own.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

MrWizard
Try replacing the gas cap on your tank
Or just loosen this one while driving
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
MrWizard wrote:
"Turbine shaft" ???

There is a crank shaft in the engine

And of course the generator armature is wound on a shaft

Not aware of any RV generator that has a Turbine, not even the quiet diesel water cooled ones

I guess that was it. I am not a mechanic and it was several years ago. Heck, I've already forgotten what I had for breakfast this morning.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Wire Man wrote:
The dealer of course was no help because every time I took it back if would run fine.

If that was an RV dealer, I suspect that they wouldn't have been much help with the generator under most any circumstances.

A Cummins/Onan shop, however, should actually know what they are doing and their prices are not outrageous......at least in my experience.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2010 class A with a Onan 5500 quiet genset and it would do it once in a while. Owned it for 7 years and never figured out why. The dealer of course was no help because every time I took it back if would run fine. This NEVER happened while we were parked with it running. At some long races it would run for 4 and 5 days straight and never quit, only done it while driving.
Best of luck, maybe it will be something easy they can find.
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611