cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Silverado HD

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
•The 2020 Silverado HD exterior shares only the roof with its Silverado 1500 stablemate — every other piece of sheet metal is exclusive to Silverado HD for the first time ever.
•It will be built at the Flint Assembly plant in Flint, Michigan.
•There are an additional three inches of legroom on crew cab models and a taller, more comfortable seating position.
•Under the 2020 Silverado HD’s hood is a choice of two new powertrains: an all-new gasoline engine with direct injection mated to a six-speed transmission, or the Duramax Turbo-Diesel V-8, which delivers 910 lb-ft of torque through an all-new, Allison 10-speed transmission.
•The 2020 Silverado HD will offer all-new customer-focused trailering technology, significant increases in towing and payload capabilities and a host of technologies and features designed specifically for heavy-duty truck customers.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS
101 REPLIES 101

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I am waiting for the explanation of why all of a sudden 30k+ towing is a good thing!

The 10 speed is no doubt a good thing and will raise the bar for Ford and RAM. IMHO a 8 speed would be more than enough!!! Actually more than happy with my 6 speed AISIN.

Says the guy that tows about 30k around?
Me no comprende...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
It will be interesting!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I am waiting for the explanation of why all of a sudden 30k+ towing is a good thing!

The 10 speed is no doubt a good thing and will raise the bar for Ford and RAM. IMHO a 8 speed would be more than enough!!! Actually more than happy with my 6 speed AISIN.

I am actually waiting to hear the explanation as well. The excuse was the vast majority of buyers don't utilize that much capacity in a 3500 series pickup. Cant wait to see what has changed.

GM needs to step up their game if they're going to maintain the number 2 position.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am actually waiting to hear the explanation as well. The excuse was the vast majority of buyers don't utilize that much capacity in a 3500 series pickup. Cant wait to see what has changed.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bedlam
Ford used to offer basic replaceable headlights in its base trim that appealed to fleet usage but reduced visibility and did not look as nice. Luckily they had a option package that upgraded the lights on the base trim rather than having to to a more expensive trim level. I optioned my XL with things that came standard on the XLT but was still at a better price than buying options I did not want.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ That probably has more truth to it than one might suspect!
Good marketing strategy!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
Well th high country looks better for sure! Funny they know that, and they know that people will purchase that high end version more because of the smoother look.....well regardless I don’t plan to purchase one anytime soon.

Agree. Seems like they want to intentionally ugly up the low end trucks so that people opt for the higher end versions where they make the most $$.

I can live without a lot of the high end (useless to me) features but also wont drive a fugly truck.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Someone photoshopped this grille on a Camaro. It doesn't look so bad on it.

Click For Full-Size Image.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Stamping their name in the front and rear is almost as tacky as the Super Duty

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^ thanks!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I am talking stock truck.

My argument still stands even in stock form. Yeah, the stock air box with the flap blocking the front intake can take in X amount of air, but how much harder does the turbo have to work to move that amount of air pulling from the fender versus from the front which it rarely does versus the GM truck. That is a major reason why the new L5P Dmax is able to outperform the Ram in most fuel economy tests since its release.

It is not about how much can be pulled, but rather how easy it can do it. With the Ram's active air having the front intake being closed 95% of the time, it has some room for improvement. There is a reason why some intakes improves efficiency in some diesels, because they don't make the turbo work as hard to move the same amount of air.

I get that you don't like owning something that is not the best, but there is much to improve with the Ram active air box especially in regards to when it pulls air from the from. It is not anywhere near to 100% of the time like GM's system.

BTW Cummins12V98, if by any chance you or anyone else wants to perform this mod of taking the front flap off, but want to add a one way drain valve similar to what the GM intake has, here are the part numbers from Donaldson.

Vacuator Valves

You can probably get these at any place that sells Donaldson filters or Medium/Heavy duty truck dealerships for a lot less than the GM one. I used the P149099 which is less than $5 for regular walk in customers at my company's dealers.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

My argument still stands even in stock form. Yeah, the stock air box with the flap blocking the front intake can take in X amount of air, but how much harder does the turbo have to work to move that amount of air pulling from the fender versus from the front which it rarely does versus the GM truck. That is a major reason why the new L5P Dmax is able to outperform the Ram in most fuel economy tests since its release.

It is not about how much can be pulled, but rather how easy it can do it. With the Ram's active air having the front intake being closed 95% of the time, it has some room for improvement. There is a reason why some intakes improves efficiency in some diesels, because they don't make the turbo work as hard to move the same amount of air.

I get that you don't like owning something that is not the best, but there is much to improve with the Ram active air box especially in regards to when it pulls air from the from. It is not anywhere near to 100% of the time like GM's system.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
RAM has the same air intake you just can't see it. Stealth baby!!!

Not really, it is closed more often then it is open unless you tune it to stay open.

I am sure it get's all the air it needs in the alt position also.

I don't think so.

In the first few revisions when my tuner actuated the flap based on the stock parameters, I could tell the difference in power when my monitor showed the flap pulling air from the front. When he finally tuned out the stock actuation and made the front flap open permanently, I could tell the difference in fuel efficiency records. What are you basing this assumption on?

Of course I would recommend someone installing a one way drain flap similar to what GM has in their intake to keep water out if they want to do the same with their Ram active intake. The GM one is $40, but I got mine for much less. Some Peterbilt trucks use the same kind of drain flap in their open intakes so I got it much cheaper at work.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD