cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping Diesel Engine Warm

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
My dodge dually Cummins engine is very hard to start when cold. At home or camping with hookups I can plug in the block heater but what can be done when boondocking.
2007 Jayco Jayflight 28.5 RLS 5th Wheel
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
60 REPLIES 60

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
What is the normal RPM of the engine that the starter achieves at startup.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
May have been mentioned already.......battery cables, grounds and connections.
Even in sunny AZ, corrosion or other compromising things can happen to battery cables. Rams as Iโ€™m sure others as well are sensitive to having proper voltage and current supply.
Yes starter could be it, but I like diagnosing from simple to complicated. Not the other way around.
Engine lights and other nuances he OP mentioned lead to this being a real possibility.

And by โ€œslowโ€ start, you mean cranked slow, not cranked longer than needed, but fast enough?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
6 pages of suggestions... First off, your K&N may have been fine... They are not the most user friendly product. Proper maintainence with one is crucial. Too much oil, and it ends up where it shouldn't. Too little, and it passes dust.
Do it right, and it is not a problem... But.... Many people should not use them.

Back to your issue.... Do the cheap easy thing first.

Try to jump start it.... Use good thick cables

If it fires right up, then it is likely the batteries, not the starter.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
I didnt read this whole thing, but have you pulled the starter yet? Brushes are probably worn.

I am leaning in that direction.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
I didnt read this whole thing, but have you pulled the starter yet? Brushes are probably worn.

I wouldnt plug in my 05 CTD unless it was colder than -25*F, thats below zero. Only diesel that ever failed to start for me was my old 2000 and it was -35*F and not plugged in. I had to plug it in for 2 hrs and jump it. But it had 15w-40 oil in it. All my diesels got 5w-40 after that. It ran in 3cyl mode for 45 mins, and sounded like the rods were trying to evacuate from the block.

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
You've already answered your own question. Change your dead battery and it'll likely work fine.

Changed the bad battery yesterday. Then check engine light came on. Returned code showing MAP fault. Didnt plug heater in last night. Engine light on this morning and had same slow turnover this morning. Cleaned the MAP sensor and ran the truck for about 10 miles. Engine light went out. Will try again in the morning without the block heater. Since MAP sensor sends info to the computer to allow it to determine airflow thus determining amount of fuel to deliver, hoping normal starting will ensue.

Turnover during starting is hovering near 200 rpm. My understanding is the engine needs to be at 200 or above to start.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picinisco wrote:
If you look at the first post, this was the question. I have a block heater, but what do others use when boondocking.

Picinisco wrote:
Battery driver side 650CCA reads 690CCA and 3.5 ohms. Passanger side 650CCA reads 190CCA and 13.5 ohms.

You've already answered your own question. Change your dead battery and it'll likely work fine.

Short of that, what suggestions do you want? If you lack electricity to keep plugged in, you are limited in options. Either only park where it is 85 degrees year round, build a fire under your engine to keep it warm, find a way to funnel solar energy (either sunlight for heat or sunlight and converter to plug in) or change your dead battery.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2001 Cummins, and I just went out to start it yesterday to drive it to the inspection place. It's about 30ยฐ and the truck has been sitting since the end of October, with no battery tender of any sort. It turned over slow, but started after turning over maybe twice.

I didn't leave the key on to heat the intake heater because I wanted to see if it would start as good as it usually does. IMO you have other issues besides an iffy battery. Mine are cheapo batteries that I think are 650cca, definitely not more than that. And they are about 2 years old and were only about $90 each.

Yours is a newer truck, but I don't think your batteries are the main problem. My bet is still on the fuel system, i.e. injectors, lift pump, etc.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^The answer to your first question spawned the 6 pages of why your truck isnโ€™t running right.
The answer is you donโ€™t need to do anything down to well below zero if the truck is operating properly. Itโ€™ll light off without a hiccup.

Or plug it in if it ainโ€™t running right or makes you feel better, if you have a generator.

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Never owned a Cummins engine, but they always seem to have block heaters on them. Living in Wyoming we learned what works. Number one diesel, synthetic oil, plug in at night. Keep your batteries up. I love diesels.

If you look at the first post, this was the question. I have a block heater, but what do others use when boondocking.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never owned a Cummins engine, but they always seem to have block heaters on them. Living in Wyoming we learned what works. Number one diesel, synthetic oil, plug in at night. Keep your batteries up. I love diesels.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
Air filter should not be a problem at all.
The first thin I would check after the battery and starter, would be glow plugs. Any diesel should start easily down to around 25 degrees.

Any Ford should start easily down to around 25 degrees. Any Cummins should start easily down to about -25 deg!

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
Depending upon the age of the โ€œgoodโ€ battery.....you really should replace in pairs! I know it hurts the wallet a bit....I just (6 weeks ago) replaced six (6) in our 5th. wheel. All were old ....but only one โ€œtrulyโ€ bad.

Both batteries are 13 months old. And the replacement at walmart is $49. So I'm not concerned about the older battery killing the new one at that price. I will replace both before next winter with Interstate 800CCA from Costco.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Depending upon the age of the โ€œgoodโ€ battery.....you really should replace in pairs! I know it hurts the wallet a bit....I just (6 weeks ago) replaced six (6) in our 5th. wheel. All were old ....but only one โ€œtrulyโ€ bad.
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl