cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best water filter

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a blue water filter from Walmart and don't feel it's good quality. Any know of one that has a good rating?
21 REPLIES 21

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
jmoran wrote:
I still think that the Berkey Water Filter is the best in the market! Read this article herehere to know what I'm talking about.

Mods should probably flag this poster and mark as spam. They have 3 total posts over 6 months, all 3 of which are trying to sell this filter.

That's a shame that they're spamming like that because the Berkey Filter really is that good. We've been running all of our drinking water through one for 2 years now and use it exclusively.

However, we also have an inline filter for the RV and a shower head filter for showering (which coincidentally is also a Berkey product).

I have no affiliation with the company. Just a satisfied user.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
No matter which filter you chose, always let the water run a few seconds before you hook up. Seems to be a lot of sediment will blow out right away.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
jmoran wrote:
I still think that the Berkey Water Filter is the best in the market! Read this article herehere to know what I'm talking about.

Mods should probably flag this poster and mark as spam. They have 3 total posts over 6 months, all 3 of which are trying to sell this filter.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
A 2 micron filter is best and safest to use for multiple sources of water. I use a charcoal pre-filter and then a 2 micron. The first collects all large sediment and bad taste and the second all other bad ingredients.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:

Sure, a whole house filter isn't necessary. In fact, I'd say that the vast majority of RV'ers don't use a filter of any kind. But then again, many parts of our rigs aren't necessary. We can all get by with far less, but we do often choose to splurge a little...

If you're just weekend camping or part-timing, you should be able to get by with very little because you're probably traveling to familiar campgrounds.

However, before I started full timing, I installed a robust water filtration system. After some of the campgrounds we've visited, I'm glad I did.

But, again, for infrequent use, Camco is probably all you need.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I only use a sediment filter outside. If the water source is chlorinated I don't want to remove it too early.

Under the kitchen sink I use a Culligan D-30A drinking water filter.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Activated carbon removes chlorine so whether your buying a cheapo Camco or expensive filter that relies primarily on carbon your likely getting pretty much the same results. Most water in the USA have already been treated/safe and most of the improvement in "taste" is the result of activated charcoal which removes the residual chlorine/chloramine ... often as not paying more isn't going to improve the taste.
Kevin

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
3/4" whole house filter with this.

AMAZON

Pentek CFB-PLUS10 Replacement Filter Cartridge

Price: $13.39

Something along these lines is certainly your best bet. Takes more time to install/setup than the standard inline blue Camco junk, but well worth it. We have well water at home at can't stand any kind of "treated" water from a municipal system, which is what almost all campgrounds must be provide. Our filter (similar to above) helps reduce the treated water issue we detest. But FWIW, we don't drink the tap water in our RV. We only use it for dishwashing, showers, toilets, sinks, etc. And we always use tank water...fill the tank and use the pump. That helps us deal with pressure issues at various campgrounds.

This filter appears to use carbon, just like the Camco "junk." I see no need for a whole house water filter unless you want to use a cartridge that removes more contaminates than a simple sediment or carbon filter.

The one we use is a carbon sediment filter that removes both chlorine and choramines. I've tasted the water coming through it and it tastes just like my tap water at home (from a well).

this filter

Sure, a whole house filter isn't necessary. In fact, I'd say that the vast majority of RV'ers don't use a filter of any kind. But then again, many parts of our rigs aren't necessary. We can all get by with far less, but we do often choose to splurge a little...

The filter you mention is a good filter but will plug easily if water coming is not free if sediment, they recommend a sediment filter before this one.

If I used my rig more, I would invest in a sediment filter ahead of this, but we don't use it enough to justify that.
SBGTF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
WTP-GC wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

AMAZON

Something along these lines is certainly your best bet. Takes more time to install/setup than the standard inline blue Camco junk, but well worth it. We have well water at home at can't stand any kind of "treated" water from a municipal system, which is what almost all campgrounds must be provide. Our filter (similar to above) helps reduce the treated water issue we detest. But FWIW, we don't drink the tap water in our RV. We only use it for dishwashing, showers, toilets, sinks, etc. And we always use tank water...fill the tank and use the pump. That helps us deal with pressure issues at various campgrounds.

This filter appears to use carbon, just like the Camco "junk." I see no need for a whole house water filter unless you want to use a cartridge that removes more contaminates than a simple sediment or carbon filter.

The one we use is a carbon sediment filter that removes both chlorine and choramines. I've tasted the water coming through it and it tastes just like my tap water at home (from a well).

this filter

The filter you mention is a good filter but will plug easily if water coming is not free if sediment, they recommend a sediment filter before this one.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"This filter appears to use carbon, just like the Camco "junk."

No comparison! This is a quality US Made filter.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

AMAZON

this filter

SBGTF

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

AMAZON

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
This may be an apples to oranges comparison but we have used for years the Hydrolife HL180 that connects to the supply hose so all of the water that goes into the camper is filtered. We use about one per season.
We always fill the FW Tank but that's personal preference.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

AMAZON

SBGTF