cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight distribution hitch with ram auto leveling

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use a weight distribution hitch with an auto leveling ram? How do the two work together and how do you set up the hitch correctly with auto leveling?
4 REPLIES 4

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan has it right. You need to be level and disable the suspension before hooking up. While you don't say what RAM model you have, if it's the 1500 with the 4-corner active suspension which is what I have you can temporarily disable the suspension by placing it in "Tire Jack Mode" through the U-Connect settings.

Once disabled then configure the WDH per the manufacturer recommendations with one exception - set the ball height about an inch below the level coupler height instead of slightly above level coupler height. This will prevent the trailer being slightly nose high once the suspension is re-engaged after hooking up as it will immediately return the truck to level. If you start out with the ball slightly higher to account for some sag the suspension will push it right back up there when it levels the truck out. Also, I would disable the suspension before unhooking as well to ensure that it's not adjusting while you are trying to lift and remove the tongue.

After you have set up the hitch I highly recommend visiting the CAT scale and verifying your axle weights to ensure that the proper load has been restored to the front axle.
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
missouri dave wrote:
Anyone use a weight distribution hitch with an auto leveling ram? How do the two work together and how do you set up the hitch correctly with auto leveling?

Some where in the manual there should be instructions. Do your best to find them.

I had a Ford with auto leveling, and the instructions in the manual said to go to a level parking lot. Un hook. Let the vehicle level itself. THEN turn OFF the auto leveling Before the vehicle can lower itself. Don't know if yours lowers itself. Mine did for ease of entry. Any way. once you turn it off. Adjust the hitch normally. And once you get it where it needs to be. Turn the auto leveling back on, and you are done. No need to go thru it all again.

Yours may be different. But it is important that the vehicle be up, and the auto leveling be off. IF not. It will level itself while adjusting the hitch, and cold cause the WDH to be adjusted wrong.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I do with my Tahoe. Works fine. One levels and one transfers weight.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Did with my Tahoe. The best way to do it is, hitch, start vehicle, let it level, connect WD bars, go.