cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/4 ton truck questions

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided to replace our truck (2006 Tundra) with a 3/4 ton truck. I've looked at new and used. Today I saw a couple of very nice used 3/4 ton trucks (Ford and Ram) and I've got a couple questions that I haope you can help with. First, none of the used trucks were equipped to handle a 5th wheel (meaning none had the factory prep package). The sales guy said that it could be easily added, but he didn't know how much it would cost. Is this expensive? Should this work be done by the truck dealer or a could it be done by an RV dealer?

The one dealer (RAM) assured me that his used truck was equipped with the proper rear end (3.73) so it can tow and the other dealer didn't know off hand, but is checking. Is there any way for me to verify, say with the VIN number? I'd like to double check whatever they tell me.

Lastly, we don't have a trailer...yet. We decided (with your help) that our old truck can only safely tow a very light trailer, so we are upgrading. There a couple trailers we really like and they are all have GCWs less that 9000 lbs. We are slightly leaning towards a 5th wheel, but one that's no longer that 30'.

Thanks
44 REPLIES 44

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hey guys, he's back on a half ton kick now. This thread can die....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Last years towing guild

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
3110#'s of payload for the F250 in my sig. Does all I need it to and is more than capable for what I tow. If you are going Diesel or towing heavy, get the 1 Ton.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Forget a 2500, instead just go to a 3500 SRW. Many 2500 series trucks can easily get overloaded quickly. If your ever thinking of a fiver get a 3500 for sure.

DITTO,

Did you read the two previous post, OP may be in an area with restrictions based on GVWR, so get a F350 SRW with Camper Package and 9,900# GVWR.

No, they just like bitsching about weight "capacities".
Beerbrewer, get a 3/4 ton if that makes you compliant with local laws. Or if you want/need a 1 ton, get one and then get some 3/4ton badges for the sides!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Forget a 2500, instead just go to a 3500 SRW. Many 2500 series trucks can easily get overloaded quickly. If your ever thinking of a fiver get a 3500 for sure.

DITTO,

Did you read the two previous post, OP may be in an area with restrictions based on GVWR, so get a F350 SRW with Camper Package and 9,900# GVWR.

Go down to the local dealer and tell them you are missing the F250 decals on your truck...Then replace the F350 with F250.

Problem solved.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BeerBrewer wrote:
the 260RD (UVW: 7,225 lbs | Hitch Weight: 1,325 lbs | Length: 29'9") and 295RL (UVW: 8,496 lbs | Hitch Weight: 1,391 lbs | Length: 32'9"). As for Travel Trailers we are considering the Imagine 2600RB UVW: 5,725 lbs | Hitch Weight: 594 lbs | Length: 29' 8".
UVW = unloaded vehicle weight.

That is pretty much a useless number that many make the mistake of using.
You will NEVER go camping with a empty trailer.

Use the GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That is the most it should ever weigh. Don't fall for the trap of trying to estimate how much weight you will add..... For a trailer you have not even decided on, or have used yet.... You simply do not know... Nor will anyone else
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:

DITTO,

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:

DITTO,
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
This is really for the OP, but I checked the Ford website and they still offer a 9900# F350. So you can get the camper package, getting the max springs, but the door sticker will say 9900#. Our fleet manager used to get our guys these trucks, so they could take their trucks home. Most of us only look at RV's, but Ford and Chevy (at least used to) make these trucks for the only reason that matters. Customers buy them.

So for the OP, I think the 10k or 3/4 ton trucks also pay less on the ferries and over the bridges off the island. Of course I am a cheap ba**ard.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
thomas201 wrote:
For ED505, in the east from DC up through Maine we have a bunch of strange rules. Some neighborhood's streets are restricted to 10k pound registration or less (ever wonder why Ford builds an F350 with a 10k door sticker?). Some states if over 10k, you are commercial, even if it never works for pay. The left lanes on interstates (with 3 or more lanes) are restricted to 10k or less, and only non-commercial, less than 10k vehicles can use parkways (these have nothing to do with parks by the way). So the OP is from out on Long Island and if he uses the truck for anything but towing the 250/2500 trucks have their place. I don't make the rules, but I have to play by them when visiting the DW's home stomping grounds.

Please note. Poster is talking registration! NOT the door sticker gvwr! At least where in Wa st, if things meet the correct registration rules, I can register my truck for less than its door tag! I have done this with my C2500, as I buy tonnage by the ton! so its either an 8K or 10K plate! I do not get to run down the road at the door sticker of 8600 lbs legally as I have an 8K registration! I could buy a 10K registration, and I would be legal to have 10K distributed to my 4 tires, legally. Door sticker means squat! One could take their 10,001+ lb gvwr truck, and buy a 10K plate, and meet the requirements mentioned by thomas201. Not saying it is a smart move or bad one for that matter.
From a legal standpoint, their are wills and ways to meet some requirements!

Marty

ps

Said (maybe) strange rules exist here in the puget sound region too!

I see the issue as some HOA and local ordinances state not over a certain GVWR, not the registered GVWR, but manufacture GVWR, once again why would Ford offer a F350 SRW with a 10,000# GVWR :h

If HOA one could work to change or move, local or state law is a lot more effort. Most of these laws were likely written when a 10,000# GVWR was a small semi! This is much like the old Blue Laws that prevented business operation on Sundays, these laws need to be updated. Worst yet would be having antiquated laws like these on the book, then having a DOT or State Police start weighing RVers! Talk about a catch 22!

blt2ski
thomas201 wrote:
For ED505, in the east from DC up through Maine we have a bunch of strange rules. Some neighborhood's streets are restricted to 10k pound registration or less (ever wonder why Ford builds an F350 with a 10k door sticker?). Some states if over 10k, you are commercial, even if it never works for pay. The left lanes on interstates (with 3 or more lanes) are restricted to 10k or less, and only non-commercial, less than 10k vehicles can use parkways (these have nothing to do with parks by the way). So the OP is from out on Long Island and if he uses the truck for anything but towing the 250/2500 trucks have their place. I don't make the rules, but I have to play by them when visiting the DW's home stomping grounds.

Please note. Poster is talking registration! NOT the door sticker gvwr! At least where in Wa st, if things meet the correct registration rules, I can register my truck for less than its door tag! I have done this with my C2500, as I buy tonnage by the ton! so its either an 8K or 10K plate! I do not get to run down the road at the door sticker of 8600 lbs legally as I have an 8K registration! I could buy a 10K registration, and I would be legal to have 10K distributed to my 4 tires, legally. Door sticker means squat! One could take their 10,001+ lb gvwr truck, and buy a 10K plate, and meet the requirements mentioned by thomas201. Not saying it is a smart move or bad one for that matter.
From a legal standpoint, their are wills and ways to meet some requirements!

Marty

ps

Said (maybe) strange rules exist here in the puget sound region too!
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Well unfortunately the "Payload" sticker doesn't have all the necessary information it has the available payload as it left the factory. Those I have looked at they don't have the GAWR's nor the GVWR. Once the vehicle leaves the factory and items added to that vehicle reduced the payload by a like amount. Don't get me wrong the Payload sticker is great when comparing vehicles on a lot, but once off the lot and your "STUFF" is added to it then you need the numbers off the VIN sticker with GVWR and front and rear GAWR's to see what you can carry/pull.

The sticker is usually pretty close unless you start adding bed caps, brush guards and a lot of other stuff.

My point is that yes, the "Yellow" payload sticker is a great tool on the dealers lot for comparing new vehicles, once you start adding things to it including you, DW, kids, dogs, tools, tool boxes, mud flaps, running boards, hitch, fuel, etc. it is time to head to the scales to see what your real payload is.
The little stuff adds up.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:

Well unfortunately the "Payload" sticker doesn't have all the necessary information it has the available payload as it left the factory. Those I have looked at they don't have the GAWR's nor the GVWR. Once the vehicle leaves the factory and items added to that vehicle reduced the payload by a like amount. Don't get me wrong the Payload sticker is great when comparing vehicles on a lot, but once off the lot and your "STUFF" is added to it then you need the numbers off the VIN sticker with GVWR and front and rear GAWR's to see what you can carry/pull.

The sticker is usually pretty close unless you start adding bed caps, brush guards and a lot of other stuff.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV