Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best quality, design, finish & warranty support in Pop Up?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best quality, design, finish & warranty support in Pop Up?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another strong positive vote for Outfitter. They built exactly what I wanted in 2007 and have been excellent with answering occasional questions and giving advice when requested. Have not needed any repairs, just maintenance -- and the camper has often been many miles off of anything resembling a road.

However, my Apex 8 model is over 2500 lb fully loaded (4 heavy batteries and 44 gallons of water), and I would not try to carry it on any 150/1500 truck. They do make top quality, lighter weight models for lighter trucks.

[image]

Cal

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3TV wrote:

According to Ford's TV advertising you can get a F150 with a 3200 lb payload capacity. The payload capacity of my F350 is 3500 lbs. [emoticon]
I'm betting the payload of the f350 is actual payload in bed over and above passengers and equipment . The f150 3200# is gross payload of a reg cab 2wd including passengers and equipment . Big difference .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cewillis wrote:

Another strong positive vote for Outfitter. They built exactly what I wanted in 2007 and have been excellent with answering occasional questions and giving advice when requested. Have not needed any repairs, just maintenance -- and the camper has often been many miles off of anything resembling a road.

However, my Apex 8 model is over 2500 lb fully loaded (4 heavy batteries and 44 gallons of water), and I would not try to carry it on any 150/1500 truck. They do make top quality, lighter weight models for lighter trucks.

[image]

Nice to here from some of you old timers with the Outfitters. Glad to here good about Outfitter. I really like the new molded fiberglass.

Have you heard anything good or bad about the new molded bodies?

How has your camper been holding up structural wise?

s1214

Vt

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered NorthStar?

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really think you should look at them and get the one you like best. Cost should really be at the bottom of your list of considerations, especially based on the small differences you've stated. It is foolish to pinch a few pennies to end up with something you don't like.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JD5150 wrote:

Nice to here from some of you old timers with the Outfitters. Glad to here good about Outfitter. I really like the new molded fiberglass.

Have you heard anything good or bad about the new molded bodies?

How has your camper been holding up structural wise?

Haven't heard a lot about the molded body or roof, but everything I have heard is good. I would buy a new molded roof just because I like it better - except for the $4K replacement cost. No problems with my roof except 2 small punctures courtesy of some pushy trees. Easily repaired with Eternabond.

No structural problems of any kind. Even with much bad/no road travel.

[image]

Better watch your mouth with that 'old timers' stuff[emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3TV wrote:

According to Ford's TV advertising you can get a F150 with a 3200 lb payload capacity. The payload capacity of my F350 is 3500 lbs. [emoticon]

You would only have a sad face if you actually believe those numbers and the actual capacity of your 350.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/18 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all - thanks for the many, many great and helpful thoughts! Much appreciated. :-)

I’ll reply to all the questions in one post, here.

joerg68 said “Why is Hallmark not on your list? Too expensive? They are just around the corner from Outfitter. They will use whatever material you are willing to pay for.”

I do prefer the idea of an aluminum frame. I thought they were simply wood… I see that they use balsa for part of the construction, however there are some choices about interior cabinetry framing, for extra charge. Good info here… I’ll have to dig into it. Thanks!

http://www.hallmarkrv.com/factory/

joerg68 said: A popup with an indoor shower and sleeping capacity for three is not going to be at the small/lightweight end of popups. You will be pushing the payload capacity of the truck. Are you planning to pull a trailer or carry sports gear? Bicycles?

No towing planned… the really nice thing about the Four Wheel Camper Granby indoor shower is that it is simply a floor grate and pan, with a curtain that tucks into it, so it is minimal weight, and doesn’t really eat up any space nor much weight inside.

TxGearhead wrote: I don't understand you saying a F150 is nicer than a F250. In what way?

I know it is personal feelings, but i prefer the interior / size / drivability of the F150 over the F250. The F150 drives a bit more like a car. (a bit)
Also I *really* like the 3.5 EcoBoost, having driven one quite a bit. It is not available in the F250 as far as I know.

JD5150 wrote: “I personally don't like the window flaps on the outside of an ATC.”

Yeah that seems like a very odd design choice, to me.

Thanks Geewizard for the kind offer of “You are welcome to PM me for details on my Outfitter experience. “

GeoBoy said:  I find it hard to believe that the F150 has a 2,690 lb. payload. 

It totally depends how it is configured (engine, and if it has the Heavy-Duty Payload Package, and wheels, etc) but the complex chart on the Ford 21 page specs document clearly says: 2019 4x4 F-150 SuperCrew, 156.8” WB, with Heavy-Duty Payload Package and 18" wheels payload is 2,690 LBS.

Note that on the dealers lots… pretty much none of the F150’s will have the Heavy-Duty Payload Package, so I’ll have to custom order and wait for it. I have read multiple places. I’m fine with that.

s1214  said: Have you considered NorthStar? 

I recently checked out a NorthStar, and I wasn’t impressed with the esthetics and ‘fit and finish’ of the interior. Subjective, but it was a long way from how the interior looked as compared to FourWheel Campers, for example. I also know what my “better half” would like and she would much prefer the interior of the FourWheel Campers. (I have been in a few, and she hasn’t been in any yet.)

mkirsch said: I really think you should look at them and get the one you like best. Cost should really be at the bottom of your list of considerations, especially based on the small differences you've stated. It is foolish to pinch a few pennies to end up with something you don't like. 

Very good advice (as are all posts) - thanks for the reminder! :-)

Thanks again to all for all the fantastic thoughts here. Much appreciated!

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/18 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with all who warn about "optimistic" capacity and weight specs from most all manufacturers.

I do know a guy who had a F150 regular cab 2WD with the upgrade package and claimed 3,200 lb payload. He upgraded to an F250 and within a week went back to the dealer and got his F150 back.... (ride quality issues)

I don't know much about pop-ups but I have followed a full time nomadic family on YouTube for years. Much of their travel has been in an F250 with a 4 Wheel pop-up. They have traveled coast to coast and back across Canada and then down through Mexico to Guadalajara in their 4 Wheel camper (all from California). All this in 2016. His wife and 3 small children (at the time) had no problems sharing the space. The only issues I remember him mentioning in his videos was a problem with water intrusion in the front area and then normal wear and tear hardware failures. If you'd like to check out his experiences just do a YouTube search for ... Mali Mish Travel Vlogs ... and scroll down to Playlists entitled "Canada, The Great White North - 2016" and "South of the Border - 2016"

This might be a good place to start ....

Introduction to new 4 Wheel Grandby

* This post was edited 12/05/18 10:32pm by Travels with Yoly *

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/18 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, a F150 drives more like a car.... at least in the normal payload packages.

Once you upgrade to the heaviest payload package you will stiffen the rear end and it will drive like a truck.

Honestly, skip the 150. Skip the 250. Get a F350. When hauling a camper, you can never have too much truck.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best quality, design, finish & warranty support in Pop Up?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS