Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Best quality, design, finish & warranty support in Pop Up?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best quality, design, finish & warranty support in Pop Up?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Geewizard

E. Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/18 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whizbang wrote:

Yes, a F150 drives more like a car.... at least in the normal payload packages.

Once you upgrade to the heaviest payload package you will stiffen the rear end and it will drive like a truck.

Honestly, skip the 150. Skip the 250. Get a F350. When hauling a camper, you can never have too much truck.

Why not skip the F350 and go with a Kenworth? I think your advice is faulty. Get a F350 to haul a pop-up camper?

I don't think so......

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
Mary Kitchen Roast Beef Hash
220W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Library Books
Wave 3 Heater

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/18 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The high capacity F150 will drive like a 250/350. One might as well just get the bigger truck.

I actually had a Four Wheel Camper on a Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 F350. The truck didn't know the camper was on there. It drove great.

The thing is, if the family later decides on a larger camper, they would already have the larger truck.

It's the smart choice.

[image]

* This post was edited 12/16/18 09:49am by whizbang *

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

COboondocker

United States

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/18 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JD5150 wrote:

cewillis wrote:

Another strong positive vote for Outfitter. They built exactly what I wanted in 2007 and have been excellent with answering occasional questions and giving advice when requested. Have not needed any repairs, just maintenance -- and the camper has often been many miles off of anything resembling a road.

However, my Apex 8 model is over 2500 lb fully loaded (4 heavy batteries and 44 gallons of water), and I would not try to carry it on any 150/1500 truck. They do make top quality, lighter weight models for lighter trucks.

[image]

Nice to here from some of you old timers with the Outfitters. Glad to here good about Outfitter. I really like the new molded fiberglass.

Have you heard anything good or bad about the new molded bodies?

How has your camper been holding up structural wise?

We've had a Juno 10 with the new molded fiberglass body for almost 3 years. It's been through plenty and still looks new. We love it. Let me know if you want to know anything specific.

realter

NW

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/18 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whizbang wrote:

Yes, a F150 drives more like a car.... at least in the normal payload packages.

Once you upgrade to the heaviest payload package you will stiffen the rear end and it will drive like a truck.

Honestly, skip the 150. Skip the 250. Get a F350. When hauling a camper, you can never have too much truck.

GREAT ADVICE

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3TV wrote:

According to Ford's TV advertising you can get a F150 with a 3200 lb payload capacity. The payload capacity of my F350 is 3500 lbs. [emoticon]

Different animal altogether. Your paper payload of 3500lbs is far less than the truck is actually capable of carrying. Whereas 3200lbs is the stars aligning theoretical payload for the heavy half.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 12:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Know you’re dead set on the 150 but the same cab/bed config in a 3/4 ton would allow you to basically buy whatever you want.
That aside, one of my buddies put a lot of miles on an original tundra with a good size pop up in the back and no issues.
Your real world limiting factor is axle capacity, but I wouldn’t worry about putting a 2500lb plus camper on a new 9.75” ford rear end. She’ll hold up.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/18 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@OP:

Right out of the gate you state you are intending to order a high payload 1/2 T truck. While that might sound good, it is an example of putting the cart before the horse. You seem to have a decent criteria of the camper feature that you want and need, the best way to go about it is to find the right camper that meets those needs and then get the truck. Believe me, that #2600 payload will get eaten up pretty quick!

With all due respect to those who put campers on 1500 series trucks (and yes, it can be done), those types of truck are really glorified grocery getters. Consumers are demanding good riding vehicle that look like pick-up trucks. But when it really comes down to cargo carry capacity, the step up to a 2500/ 3500 series gains a lot of advantages in order to do the work you are asking. And as stated, no one ever regrets buying "too much" truck for carrying a camper.

A larger series truck over the 150 buys bigger brakes, larger drivetrain components (including floating axles), perhaps a larger cooling capacity and most likely a larger alternator for charging.

There a lot of numbers/ specifications tossed around on those glitzy advertisements for half-ton trucks, but do not limit your camper selections by going right to a 1500 series truck without doing your due diligence on ALL the numbers on both campers and trucks to correctly match the camper-you-want to the truck-you-need.

I purposely bought a 3500 for my first pop-up knowing that I would be stepping up in campers as time went on. I am at my limit for camper that it can reasonably carry. I did this knowing that I do not want to buy a new truck every time i got the itch to get a larger TC.

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

TC-less, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups and 2 Northstar Arrows.

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/27/18 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good advice.

We have changed plans and will be getting an F350. Custom ordered. With SRW. and max capacity.

Thanks.

J.

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update - about to order our f350 and our 9.5 foot long Hallmark.

It has been a crazy 10 months with many personal challenges ... but happy to be about to get the truck and camper ordered!

Big thanks to everyone on this thread (and other threads) who have helped a ton with wisdom. Much appreciated.

Cheers

J.

ISBRAM

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m sure you will be happy with the Hallmark and the experience of selecting and building your camper. I’ve found them to be some of the most accommodating and honest people I’ve ever dealt with.

'99 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins. Roadmaster Anti Sway Bars, Air lift 5000, Stableloads, Bilstein's,19.5 Vision Wheels, 245/70R19.5 Sumitomo ST918
'11 Hallmark Cuchara XL 9.5
If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best quality, design, finish & warranty support in Pop Up?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS