cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hauling Kayaks and bikes on an RV ideas.

TwoManyToyz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all

I have two 26" bikes with 4 stroke motor conversion kits on them and 2 kayaks I'd like to carry on my 5er bumper. The bikes have oil in the crank cases and need to be hauled level.

Does anyone else haul this arrangement? How do you do it? I've got a few ideas, I'd like to hear some out of the box solutions. Any ideas and suggestions are appropriated.

thanks

Kevin
20 REPLIES 20

westend
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I bought a USRack over the cab for our kayaks. I bought it under protest, because I could have built it cheaper, but they make a rack that is VERY high quality.

USRack
That is high quality. >2000 lb rating.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a USRack over the cab for our kayaks. I bought it under protest, because I could have built it cheaper, but they make a rack that is VERY high quality.

USRack
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
TwoManyToyz wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
TooMany is MIA.

LOL I'm still here, just listening. I've never seen a pin mount, that's interesting.

I also laughed out loud about the toy hauler, cuz everyone that doesn't have a toy hauler is just SOL..lol

Please continue posting ideas. There's some good stuff here already.

Kevin

Hey Kevin

As mentioned, We also use the Thule roof rack supports for our kayaks. See my profile pic.

We pack our 2 Bikes inside the camper, we use a couple of bungees to secure them, simple, straight forward and does the job for us at least. :C

Mike

edit: opps I forgot to mention, we take with us our folding Thule bike rack which we hook up to the back of our tacoma reciever after we disconnect the TT, works good for our biking day trips! :C
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

TwoManyToyz
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
TooMany is MIA.

LOL I'm still here, just listening. I've never seen a pin mount, that's interesting.

I also laughed out loud about the toy hauler, cuz everyone that doesn't have a toy hauler is just SOL..lol

Please continue posting ideas. There's some good stuff here already.

Kevin

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haul my yaks above the cab on a home built carrier that reaches forward to connect to my front mounted hitch , they shade the cab , we call it the rocket launcher .Last year we carried our yaks 17,000 miles and never took them off, but they provided a lotta shade !

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Maybe I'm weird, but I put my 2 kayaks + 2 bicycles in my trailer when we travel. When we arrive, I pull them out and chain them up. Just part of the Set-up process. Occasionally, I'll toss the bikes into the pickup bed, but that wont work if you must keep them level without some kind of mount, of course.

X2. Been doing it this way since 2002 without problems.
E.Lee Galik

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TooMany is MIA.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Bikes can be mounted on the front of the truck, via a custom rack or from a 2" receiver.

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
Everything I take with me camping fits in the back of my toy hauler. That's why they make toy haulers.

Literally laughed out loud at this one.
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'm weird, but I put my 2 kayaks + 2 bicycles in my trailer when we travel. When we arrive, I pull them out and chain them up. Just part of the Set-up process. Occasionally, I'll toss the bikes into the pickup bed, but that wont work if you must keep them level without some kind of mount, of course.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
TwoManyToyz wrote:
Hello all

I have two 26" bikes with 4 stroke motor conversion kits on them and 2 kayaks I'd like to carry on my 5er bumper.

Kevin

People will argue over whether or not you should carry bikes on the bumper - and for some the nature of the bumper construction has a lot to do with that. That said, I could be wrong, but I can't fathom there is a fifth wheel bumper with the strength and sturdiness to carry kayaks!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BB_TX wrote:
Pin box bike mount. Bikes do not bounce. Mine hang from the frame. And they are pulled slightly backward with bungees. But a bike rack with the wheel supports would hold them more level.

X2!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"