cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Storage

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been asked a lot but I am going to be storing my 2004 HR Vacationer for the first time since I purchased it this summer. Tanks and such I am fairly comfortable with but what about batteries? Should the battery disconnects be turned to "off"? I will be able to get to it every couple of weeks to run it and keep the chassis batteries going but not sure of what is best for the house batteries? It will be in central Florida so weather will be less an issue than had I stayed home in Michigan.

Thoughts?
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
5 REPLIES 5

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
actually batteries will self discharge faster in Florida than in the great frozen north. Do use the disconnect switches.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winter in central Florida is ideal for a solar trickle charger system. Works great for me in SoCal.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
mikemc53 wrote:
I will be able to get to it every couple of weeks to run it and keep the chassis batteries going but not sure of what is best for the house batteries?

Once a month is plenty. Be sure to run it long enough to get the temp gauge up to where it normally runs.

And I think you will find that the house batteries charge when the engine runs too.

IF....you have access to shore power, it is best to get a couple of smart battery maintainers (tenders) NOT TRICKLE CHARGERS, hook one to each battery and leave it alone. Yes, do NOT start it; not necessary.

Letting your built-in charger/converter handle the task long term is not a good idea in general because many will "float" the batteries too high for long term storage.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If no shore power turn off or better yet physically disconnect batteries (lift negative lead(s) off terminal(s) (note a pair of GC-2 6 volt in series is ONE 12 volt battery so you lift only the most negative lead).

If you have shore power leave plugged in, hooked up and turned on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Turn the battery switches off and let it be. If you have the option, consider a trickle charger each for house and chassis batteries. Starting the engine and letting it idle may actually do more harm that good if you don't run the engine long enough/hard enough to bring it up to operating temp. If you plan to crank it while it's in storage, take it for a spin....say 30 miles or so to make sure that the engine/transmission warm up enough to boil off any condensation that builds up while sitting in storage. If not, then you're essentially circulating water throughout the engine.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------