cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Tabs?

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I saw part of a program about Semi Driver life stiles.
One of the Advertisers was Air Tab.
The subject comes up infrequently but nothing decisively or ancedotaly has determined it a great idea. I understand the physics and aerodynamics and practicality if the design is sufficient.
Anyone use them here o know of something about them?
13 REPLIES 13

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....just sayin....:B.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
JoeH wrote:
You might think RV manufactures would offer them,or a vortex generator molded into the rear cap if they are as good as portrayed

You might think that RV manufacturers would put a sloped front end on ALL coaches since that is proven to reduce drag. :B

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might think RV manufactures would offer them,or a vortex generator molded into the rear cap if they are as good as portrayed
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
I don't have to hit my thump with a hammer to know its going to hurt. 😛
They look good too

They'd look better color matched...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have to hit my thumb with a hammer to know its going to hurt. 😛
They look good too

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

My air tabs lowered the noise level in the cab of my class C. I do get better mileage--but only when there is a large tail wind. Handling was not bad before--and slightly better after (big truck opposite direction).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
I have. I had them on the cab of my Western Star conventional (before I retired) and they did help keep the trailer clean down the sides. I never realized any better fuel mileage however What improved the fuel mileage was the sleeper mounted wing (airfoil) and the nose cone on the front of the trailer. If I had, had a high sleeper I wouldn't have needed either but I had a flat top double bunk.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing about the AirTabs topic on this forum....it always gets reviews and opinions from "experts" that have never used them. :B

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a two gallon tank I might give them a try. :B
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
IAMICHABOD wrote:
My RV handled very well but cross winds and passing trucks upset it quite a bit,after installing Air Tabs,cross winds and trucks are no longer a problem as it once was.

They also keep the rear of the RV cleaner,as to the help in MPG I saw very little difference.

My experience as well, with two different motor homes. I didn't notice any improvement in mileage but they did improve the handling in crosswinds and since I traveled a lot in the Great Plains, where wind is always an issue, I wouldn't be without my AirTabs. Basically since they cost less than a tank of gas, the improvement in handling at highway speeds, is enough for me.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
My RV handled very well but cross winds and passing trucks upset it quite a bit,after installing Air Tabs,cross winds and trucks are no longer a problem as it once was.

They also keep the rear of the RV cleaner,as to the help in MPG I saw very little difference.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, it has been debated on here before. Pretty much it comes down to the number of miles you need travel to get your money back. Very few RV'ers travel enough miles.
As to why you don't see them on semi's, there are other ways to make bigger gains like the fold out tailwind additions and the skirting you are now seeing under the sides of the trailers.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Debate has gone on for years. I do believe they help to keep the rear of your unit clean but if they were truly economically worthwhile we would see them on every semi out there. They travel far more miles than the average RVer. JMO
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand