cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

IVECO Motohome bases are booming in Australia

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Australian motorhome buyers are increasingly opting for Iveco Daily-based platforms as their vehicle of choice for extended travel across Australia.

According to local importer Iveco Australia, sales of Daily cab-chassis have almost doubled over the past three years, since the updated Daily was released locally in 2015 with a 125kW/430Nm 3.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine and eight-speed automatic transmission.( goes to 200hp, same engine used in the Mitsubishi Fuso light Truck)

Iveco said the surge in popularity of the Iveco cab-chassis with motorhome buyers is reflected in the latest Truck Industry Council sales data, which confirms the Italian vehicle as Australiaโ€™s highest-selling European light truck cab chassis with 8.5 per cent oโ€œUnlike some other manufacturers that supply to the motorhome market, the Daily has retained its tough, C section truck chassis, delivering added durability for Australiaโ€™s varied and demanding road conditions, while also providing motorhome builders with a simple platform on which to build their bodies,โ€ the local truck importer said.

Australiaโ€™s major motorhome manufacturers are also offering more models based on the Daily platform, including Avida which uses the Iveco Daily as a base for its latest Ceduna, Esperance and Fremantle motorhome models.

โ€œThe best features of the Daily for motorhome applications are the full automatic transmission, rear wheel drive orientation and a generous towing capacity which really suits our requirements for these models,โ€ Avida Dealer Development/Sales and Marketing Manager, Billy Falconer said.f the market.
Australiaโ€™s top-selling RV manufacturer Jayco bases its mid-range Conquest and top-spec Optimum motorhomes on the Iveco cab-chassis.

โ€œIn the range we use the Daily, it is the only cab chassis model that we would consider,โ€ Jayco National Sales Managerโ€“Motorhome, Scott Jones said. โ€œOur buyers love the luxury and power the Daily offers. It makes driving a large motorhome easy for them and the trip more enjoyable.โ€

Fast-growing caravan and motorhome manufacturer Apollo also builds five of its Winnebago-badged models on the Iveco platform at its Brisbane factory.

โ€œIveco represents an important component of our retail motorhome product range,โ€ Winnebago Marketing Manager, Isaac Stefaniw, said. โ€œWe receive a lot of positive feedback from customers based on (the Iveco's) features.โ€

SunLiner Habitat 1

Extreme Off Road EarthCruiser
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/JhyPKwT1/image.jpg[/lmg]
Also used as a 5th Wheel tug
25 REPLIES 25

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

BTW, why can't 7.3 drivers merely manually choose the lowest necessary of the 4 gears and then just push the gas pedal down far enough to maintain whatever speed the driver wants or the 215 horsepower is good for ... whichever comes first?

That above approach is how I drive my RV's 305 HP gasser to maintain highway speeds (if I want to go that fast) in the mountains.

The limit of a 7.3 PSD is only about 3,400 rpm, if I remember correctly. Your gasser can likely rev towards 6,000.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
DRTDEVL wrote:
pnichols wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, these trucks look like a Chevrolet van with a melted hood.

Very very different though, maximum GVWR is 15,000lbs GCVWR is 23,750lbs

Those GVWRs appear only a little higher than those of the venerable Chevy 4500 and Ford E450 trucks chassis used here in the U.S. under many Class C motorhomes.

For the life of me, I don't see how 200HP could adequately haul around that much weight in, say, the Canadian or U.S. Rockies. Horsepower is horsepower, and diesel horsepower is no different than gas horsepower - assuming that the designers put the right gear ratios into tansmissions and differentials in order to transform crankshaft torque into drive axle torque.

Maybe Iveco Daily RV drivers are happy with going slower overall, than North American RV drivers?

Horsepower sells vehicles.

Torque moves vehicles.

The engine quoted above only has 200 hp, but can be optioned to about 350 lb-ft of torque. The 7.3 mentioned by another poster is non-intercooled (unlike the trucks), and only good for 215/425. The key difference is that the 7.3 was backed by a 4-speed, while the IVECO has an 8-speed, keeping it at max torque no matter what speed you wish to travel. With twice the available gears, 200/350 can likely pull a lot better than 215/425 with half the gears.

To be more precise ... "torque at the drive wheels" moves vehicles.

BTW, why can't 7.3 drivers merely manually choose the lowest necessary of the 4 gears and then just push the gas pedal down far enough to maintain whatever speed the driver wants or the 215 horsepower is good for ... whichever comes first?

That above approach is how I drive my RV's 305 HP gasser to maintain highway speeds (if I want to go that fast) in the mountains.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, these trucks look like a Chevrolet van with a melted hood.

Very very different though, maximum GVWR is 15,000lbs GCVWR is 23,750lbs

Those GVWRs appear only a little higher than those of the venerable Chevy 4500 and Ford E450 trucks chassis used here in the U.S. under many Class C motorhomes.

For the life of me, I don't see how 200HP could adequately haul around that much weight in, say, the Canadian or U.S. Rockies. Horsepower is horsepower, and diesel horsepower is no different than gas horsepower - assuming that the designers put the right gear ratios into tansmissions and differentials in order to transform crankshaft torque into drive axle torque.

Maybe Iveco Daily RV drivers are happy with going slower overall, than North American RV drivers?

Horsepower sells vehicles.

Torque moves vehicles.

The engine quoted above only has 200 hp, but can be optioned to about 350 lb-ft of torque. The 7.3 mentioned by another poster is non-intercooled (unlike the trucks), and only good for 215/425. The key difference is that the 7.3 was backed by a 4-speed, while the IVECO has an 8-speed, keeping it at max torque no matter what speed you wish to travel. With twice the available gears, 200/350 can likely pull a lot better than 215/425 with half the gears.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
That Quigley conversion above , would not cut it either in Australia, think about two reasons why

Given three conditions instead of two, 1) A right-hand drive version, 2) Adequate Ford service locations, and 3) A gasoline-centric culture instead of a diesel-centric culture ... I can't think of any other important reasons why the various Ford and Chevy truck chassis models would not get along just fine underneath 2WD and 4WD motorhomes Australia.

By the way and FWIW, I'd love to tour-camp in and explore both the Australian outback with the DW for rockhounding, and the great circle route along the beautiful Australian coastal areas. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pretty well summed some reasons why the E450 as run in the US would fail in Australia. Payload is pretty light for the Quigley as well. Plenty of service stations though
As Ihave said before, if you drive like you describe on non Paved areas, you would be arrested for dangerous driving, and endangering yourself and your passengers safety, think why? :R Not a joke overseas travellers who have travelled in Australia have died because they were not aware of what to do

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
That Quigley conversion above , would not cut it either in Australia, think about two reasons why

Given three conditions instead of two, 1) A right-hand drive version, 2) Adequate Ford service locations, and 3) A gasoline-centric culture instead of a diesel-centric culture ... I can't think of any other important reasons why the various Ford and Chevy truck chassis models would not get along just fine underneath 2WD and 4WD motorhomes in Australia.

By the way and FWIW, I'd love to tour-camp in and explore both the Australian outback with the DW for rockhounding, and the great circle route along the beautiful Australian coastal areas. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Do you own an RV, or motorhome, Robert Ryan? If so, which one?

What we sell here do not exist in the US, so very hard to compare

So, you don't own an RV of any kind then, right? Certainly none of the ones you keep showcasing.....

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Guys,

Let's see if we can get this thread back on track.

This is not about what is best, certainly not what is best for everyone/every situation.

I, for one, enjoy seeing what RV's are available in other countries.

Thanks, Robert.

My point is showing what could be introduced into the US, negative it is a diesel motorhome

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Guys,

Let's see if we can get this thread back on track.

This is not about what is best, certainly not what is best for everyone/every situation.

I, for one, enjoy seeing what RV's are available in other countries.

Thanks, Robert.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
PNicols the E450 lacks so many attributes of the IVECO, and you certainly would not be driving it in the Outback:? It is like comparing a Ranger ( E450) to a F350( IVECODaily)by the way the GAWR of the Daily is greater than the E450
You can happily have your love affair with the E450, we will not take it away from you, but Ford might
Slow driving here would either you end up being fined or in an accident

We've gone around on this before and the result is always the same. My Class C is not a "near expedition, or military type , or rock crawler type RV" as you seem to show in some photos.

Ours is a reliable and rugged "small U.S. family Class C" that just happens to have pretty good non-4X4 ground clearance, a 500+ mile travel range, pretty good sized facility tanks and inside/outside storage, and a chassis with components way beyond strong enough to carry the weight it has to carry reliably mile after mile. Speaking of chassis overkill, in over 71K miles our front brake pads have never needed to be replaced because they're too large for what our RV's weight requires. Oh ... and as you know our Ford E-Series van has around 305 smooth 10 cylinder horsepower to do what it does, too.

Here's us way out camping just off a 4X4 road - and we did have to creep around some rocks to get there:

Here's a photo of a Ford camper van that I'm pretty sure could go anyplace in your neck of the woods that an IVECO camper could go:

I have been with through tbis with you before Pnichols and after agreeing your camper would not work in Australia you then turn around and say it would. Maybe your Ford Camper can be used on Mars or run in the Indy 500.LOL That Quigley conversion above , would not cut it either in Australia, think about two reasons why :B

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
PNicols the E450 lacks so many attributes of the IVECO, and you certainly would not be driving it in the Outback:? It is like comparing a Ranger ( E450) to a F350( IVECODaily)by the way the GAWR of the Daily is greater than the E450
You can happily have your love affair with the E450, we will not take it away from you, but Ford might
Slow driving here would either you end up being fined or in an accident

We've gone around on this before and the result is always the same. My Class C is not a "near expedition, or military type , or rock crawler type RV" as you seem to show in some photos.

Ours is a reliable and rugged "small U.S. family Class C" that just happens to have pretty good non-4X4 ground clearance, a 500+ mile travel range, pretty good sized facility tanks and inside/outside storage, and a chassis with components way beyond strong enough to carry the weight it has to carry reliably mile after mile. Speaking of chassis overkill, in over 71K miles our front brake pads have never needed to be replaced because they're too large for what our RV's weight requires. Oh ... and as you know our Ford E-Series van has around 305 smooth 10 cylinder horsepower to do what it does, too.

Here's us way out camping just off a 4X4 road - and we did have to creep around some rocks to get there:

Here's a photo of a Ford camper van that I'm pretty sure could go anyplace in your neck of the woods that an IVECO camper could go:

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Do you own an RV, or motorhome, Robert Ryan? If so, which one?

What we sell here do not exist in the US, so very hard to compare

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:

Yes and has the ability to be vastly more adaptible. It's performance is the surprising thing about the IVECO. A 26ft Class C was pulling a middize SUV up a reasonable hill and the engine was loping along at 60mph

Not sure where you're getting your information from??

I actually own a Class C 7.3 PSD V8 turbodiesel motor home. To take "a reasonable hill at 60 mph," with a #3,500 pound "SUV in tow?" You'd need to be floor boarding the foot feed!

My #14,500 pound turbodiesel V8 engine coach, does not "lope over reasonable hills at 60 mph," even when running without an SUV in-tow. You've lol got to get a run at the hill and be into the foot feed at least 1/2 way to the floor!

Not a problem with the IVECO, that 7.3 is pretty old, people use to have GM 6 Litre Diesels, that were very slow, they use IVECO as the basis for a APC

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer

Yes and has the ability to be vastly more adaptible. It's performance is the surprising thing about the IVECO. A 26ft Class C was pulling a middize SUV up a reasonable hill and the engine was loping along at 60mph

Not sure where you're getting your information from??

I actually own a Class C 7.3 PSD V8 turbodiesel motor home. To take "a reasonable hill at 60 mph," with a #3,500 pound "SUV in tow?" You'd need to be floor boarding the foot feed!

My #14,500 pound turbodiesel V8 engine coach, does not "lope over reasonable hills at 60 mph," even when running without an SUV in-tow. You've lol got to get a run at the hill and be into the foot feed at least 1/2 way to the floor!

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
pnichols wrote:

Not much different than a large diesel pusher motorhome with 400-500 horsepower weighing in a 35-40000 lbs. It's also a similar power/weight ratio to the diesel Sprinter. Not exactly blistering performance, but certainly adequate.