cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medicare supplement G

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We did not realize how much this and the other supplements costs vary from state to state. The G plan offers the same in each state but wow so much difference!! Just commenting cause we just had no idea! Glad we are going with South Dakota to domicile instead of Florida! Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
12 REPLIES 12

Jq1953
Explorer
Explorer
In NC, rates are higher east of Interstate 95. I never got a reasonable explanation as to why. So I can see that rates would vary from state to state.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Luckily my husbands company is carrying me as single rate till I turn 65. If not mine would of been way up there too.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, Medicare is almost free. Having been self employed, for 40 years and paying our own insurance. Wife recently went on Medicare, total for Medicare, plan F HD and part d, a whopping 210 a month. Mine at age 63, $979 a month, 7k deductible and lousy coverage.

Yes I know all of us, did pay Medicare taxes for many years, but still, her plan if it were not Medicare would probably be north of $2000 a month..

As an after thought, folks might want to look into, HD (high deductible plans) and see if they might be a fit for them. Quite a bit cheaper

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Yes F was not available for my husband so G was a great plan. Cost 107.00 a month and price goes down when we domicile in SD.
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
They can't sell plan F after this year, so that pool of people will get smaller and the cost will go up.
Plan N is a good substitute, same as Plan F except you have a $20 doctor copay...
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
When we shopped for our supplemental plan, and with our use of an rv and traveling to many different states, we were advised to go with the level F plan. If I may ask, what are you gaining by going with the G level plan?

And, I knew that rates varied by insurance companies (although coverage by each level remains the same), I didn't know that rates varied by state. Interesting!

In my area, the G plan has identical coverage to the F plan except you must pay your part B deductible, but costs quite a bit less. For 2019, my part B deductible is $185 for the year. G costs $32.53 per month less, so if I max out the deductible, I still save $205 for the year. I have no idea why they would price the plans that way, but for my provider, that is the case.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
I,m sure everyone agrees we should not have to get a supplement for medicare! Medicare should take care of medical, prescriptions, dental,eye and hearing!We get benefits just to pay insurance!! What is wrong with this country!! Just saying! Tara

Plus like here in Texas the plans vary by counties. I pay the 135 & no men's while my sister in Dallas pays zip & gets her melds also.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we shopped for our supplemental plan, and with our use of an rv and traveling to many different states, we were advised to go with the level F plan. If I may ask, what are you gaining by going with the G level plan?

And, I knew that rates varied by insurance companies (although coverage by each level remains the same), I didn't know that rates varied by state. Interesting!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I,m sure everyone agrees we should not have to get a supplement for medicare! Medicare should take care of medical, prescriptions, dental,eye and hearing!We get benefits just to pay insurance!! What is wrong with this country!! Just saying!"

Gee, caysea7254, did you actively adovacte this position back when you were working and not eligible for MediCare or just now that others will need to pay for it? I don't agree with you, so not "everyone."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
caysea7254 wrote:
I,m sure everyone agrees we should not have to get a supplement for medicare! Medicare should take care of medical, prescriptions, dental,eye and hearing!We get benefits just to pay insurance!! What is wrong with this country!! Just saying! Tara

I think having the supplement options gives people choices on what they want and can afford versus everyone being forced into a one size fits all plan.

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly why so many people have no idea of how many Seniors have to live. Low fixed income is no joke. Yes, there are a lot of different rates, mostly dependent on the statistics in the covered area. Make sure your insurance will cover you wherever you are traveling. Many only cover in the states they serve. And yes, over-all insurance does cost a lot more.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.