cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Gear - my list, any suggestions?

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
I've been camping a long time. Had many different types of rigs. We are now approaching retirement, and have bought another Class A. We hope to do much longer trips when our schedule is no longer driven by work. Obviously will need to take more things since we might be gone for months per trip.

I've compiled a list of things we are now taking. This might be helpful for those working on their own list. For you full-timers, I'd appreciate any feedback on the list, or even a copy of yours.

http://2manytoyz.com/camp/motorhome-gear.pdf

Thanks!
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/
41 REPLIES 41

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
An organizational suggestion is to put camping stuff eg chairs, cooking, lights on the patio side and maintenance stuff; hoses, ext cords, tools on the drivers side. Bays under slides get stuff you rarely use.

Some clear stackable bins help. Buy a good label maker if you donโ€™t have one.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a rookie MH owner, I agree that it's time for me to:
1. number the compartments
2. at least indicate what is in each compartment.

But, I'm still working on where to put what based upon usage and the fact that the driver side compartments are under the slideouts....gotta put seldom used or needed stuff in those compartments.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Branson N Tucson wrote:
The list is great, but the weight of all may present a problem.you learn what is needed and what is not from each trip. You know there are Wall Marts every where.

Not much on the list has any real weight to it, except the tools. Even all piled up, much of it would fit in a laundry basket, and could be hand carried. Some of it is bulky, like the folding bikes, bbq grill, etc.

Each rig is different. Payload capacities vary greatly. Mine has almost a 3000 lb. capacity. Years ago, there was a great article that took all the gear from a well stocked RV, put it in a pile, and weighed it. Can't remember the exact figure, but it was well under 1000 lbs. There are only 2 of us traveling, which reduces what we carry, compared to their example.

Walmarts are almost everywhere... as long as you're near a city. I've spent weeks traveling out West, well away from civilization. No Walmarts in the mountains, or desert. It's also a PITA having to run to a store to get something that's so easy to carry with us. A 5 minute fix can turn into a few hour ordeal if having to chase parts. I'm very self sufficient, and don't rely on my credit card or cell phone to get me out of a pinch. YMMV, and I'm certainly not judging. That's just not for me.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
One suggestion:
Organize your list by storage location. -SNIP -

Great minds think alike! That's a plan I'm working on. Each side of my rig has 7 storage bays. On paper, I have them labeled P1-7, and S1-7. Port, and starboard. My own Dewey Decimal System.

After a while, the storage location list may not be necessary, but since this rig is new to us, there are lots of places to hide things from myself.

If you follow the RVGeeks YouTube channel, they have a very well organized coach, and their database is searchable. They asked for suggestions for improvement, I suggested including a bay number, and a bin number:

Get Your RVโ€™s Basement Under Control - Version 2.0
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I always carry one of the inexpensive Tyvex painter's coveralls - SNIPCoveralls

Excellent idea! I actually have a few of these at home already.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
The list is great, but the weight of all may present a problem.you learn what is needed and what is not from each trip. You know there are Wall Marts every where.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
One suggestion:
Organize your list by storage location. That way when you are checking before departure you are not running around the MH or jumping all over the list. Easy to make mistakes that way. On our race rig, we have a list of what is in each compartment taped to the inside of the compartment door. Obviously we carry LOTS of parts in small boxes, but it does make it easy for someone who is not familiar with our storage system to find a particular part or tool.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always carry one of the inexpensive Tyvex painter's coveralls in case something comes up where I have to crawl under the RV for repair purposes. These come in a plastic bag and can easily be stored in any small compartment. The disposable coveralls will fit over your existing clothes, with the X-large size, and they come with a hood to keep your head clean. Coveralls

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the feedback! I'll continue to modify my list. Updates will be at the same link.

Safe travels...
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
Being from Michigan we look forward to the UP sky this summer with the add item on our list.......................... WEED! Ah back to the 60's again!!

Iโ€™ll bite. We spent much of the last two summers in Amish Ohio. Thinking of a month or so in Michigan this summer. I was raised in Flint. Left in 69.

Could you recommend a place? We like having shopping nearby, amenities are not important. We like scenic drives. Probably lower peninsula.
Dispensary nearby. ๐Ÿ™‚

. Plenty of good drives from either the Lake Michigan side follow up to Petosky and the tunnel of trees M22. Saginaw bay from Bay city to Grindstone city for great beaches. !86 water falls in the UP and the list goes on.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomman58 wrote:
Being from Michigan we look forward to the UP sky this summer with the add item on our list.......................... WEED! Ah back to the 60's again!!

Iโ€™ll bite. We spent much of the last two summers in Amish Ohio. Thinking of a month or so in Michigan this summer. I was raised in Flint. Left in 69.

Could you recommend a place? We like having shopping nearby, amenities are not important. We like scenic drives. Probably lower peninsula.
Dispensary nearby. ๐Ÿ™‚
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
WEED! Ah back to the 60's again!!
Everybody talks about beer, why not?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Since we travel for 6-7 months every summer, our situation is a little different. With the exception of food, everything is duplicated in the MH. I mean everything - tools, lights, clothes, pots and pans, etc. The only thing that gets backed for a trip is food. When we get back from a trip, we wash the clothes and put them back in the MH and bring in all of the food to the house. We we leave in April we take all of the food from the house into the MH and go. If we take a short trip, like our two-week one starting next week-end, we just take what food we think we will need, again on return washing the clothes and putting them back in the MH and bring whatever food is left back into the house. Anytime we want to go we just need to add food, everything else is already there. We hardly ever go anywhere we need dressy clothes but we have one set, in a garment bag, in the MH so we will have it no matter if we are gone or at home. We also have not duplicated our computers, tablets, WiFi, DirecTV equipment so those have to be transferred each trip but not likely to be forgotten!! :B
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams