Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: long bed vs short bed for towing 5th wheel RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> long bed vs short bed for towing 5th wheel RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/18 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why compromise???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

Either one is a compromise.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

Adding to this conversation, as another who is curious...

I understand that, as a daily driver, the SRW/Dually question can become a major consideration. I struggle to see the same disadvantages to the long bed, however. Short of garage fit, does having the shorter bed really make that much of a difference in 'around town' use of the truck? The cost is minimally different and, other than having to park a bit further out at a store, I can't imagine that 18" of vehicle is going to make that much of a difference beyond the size of ones garage.

So, while people have different perspectives on what tows well and doesn't, other than garage fit, what would be the reason one would choose a shorter bed?

According to my kids, short beds look cooler, long beds are for geezers.

Looks might be the biggest advantage of the short bed for me. Even though a long bed fits in my garage and I rarely drive in the city I still prefer the look and feel of a little short bed truck. It's about never that I find myself in a situation where I want to haul something that won't fit in my short bed that would have fit in a long. In my case I prefer hauling stuff in or on a trailer where it can be properly strapped down and or kept dry and secure.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Greene728

Newnan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Durb wrote:

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

Adding to this conversation, as another who is curious...

I understand that, as a daily driver, the SRW/Dually question can become a major consideration. I struggle to see the same disadvantages to the long bed, however. Short of garage fit, does having the shorter bed really make that much of a difference in 'around town' use of the truck? The cost is minimally different and, other than having to park a bit further out at a store, I can't imagine that 18" of vehicle is going to make that much of a difference beyond the size of ones garage.

So, while people have different perspectives on what tows well and doesn't, other than garage fit, what would be the reason one would choose a shorter bed?

According to my kids, short beds look cooler, long beds are for geezers.

Looks might be the biggest advantage of the short bed for me. Even though a long bed fits in my garage and I rarely drive in the city I still prefer the look and feel of a little short bed truck. It's about never that I find myself in a situation where I want to haul something that won't fit in my short bed that would have fit in a long. In my case I prefer hauling stuff in or on a trailer where it can be properly strapped down and or kept dry and secure.

This is me also. We have about any type trailer you can think of on our little slice of heaven, so anything that wont go in the bed of the truck, I have a trailer for that. Open, enclosed, dump, gooseneck, old farm trailer, we have it! lol

And I agree on the looks. Sorry, but the long bed Ram is just horrid looking to me. The bed space is nice I'm sure, but not needed 90 percent of the time for me. I pull a 33ft Grand Design 303 (all in my sig below) and have never had any issue at all. Situational awareness an knowing your limitations is the name of the game. I fully agree with everyone on the 3/4 ton advice. Skip it and go directly to the 1 ton SRW minimum if a 5'er is in your future. Absolutely no reason whatsoever not to!

2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
2017 Grand Design 303RLS
2015 Ram 3500 CC 4x4 6.7 Cummins
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

Please explain my compromise???

I have a rock solid B&W hitch that is attached directly to the frame in 4 places that I don't have to worry about sliding.

I have a HighwayProducts Top Quality 30" front to back bed height tool box for any tools I want to carry.

I have plenty of room besides in bed space.

I park anywhere "I" want.

I have a better ride and stability over comparable short bed.

OH ****!!! I can't fit it in my GARAGE. BUT, BUT on second thought I could if I removed the pool table from MY Garage.

DakotaDad

Rapid City, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True, I could fit a long bed in my garage too... just have to remove a wall and part of the laundry room. That'd be a small price to pay. Might have to run that one past the missus to see what she says...

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well i have always been a long bed person, see too many dented cabs on short beds. Without a slider and a pin less than 48" back from the cab, the width of the 5er nose will need be less than distance pin to back of cab, many times about 35".

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 03:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

I have a rock solid B&W hitch that is attached directly to the frame in 4 places that I don't have to worry about sliding.

I have a HighwayProducts Top Quality 30" front to back bed height tool box for any tools I want to carry.

OH ****!!! I can't fit it in my GARAGE. BUT, BUT on second thought I could if I removed the pool table from MY Garage.

Tell me my compromise with my short bed......

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

transamz9 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

I had a 77 GMC shortie, thought it LOOKED cool. Carpenter was my career, hated the short bed could not put 8' goods inside and lock up and there simply was never enough room.

That alone is plenty enough reason for me.

OH I built my garage door tall enough (8') to allow full height truck and my garage is a full 25' deep. So no compromise there!

Plain and simple why wouldn't a person want the most bed space???

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/18 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

transamz9 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

I had a 77 GMC shortie, thought it LOOKED cool. Carpenter was my career, hated the short bed could not put 8' goods inside and lock up and there simply was never enough room.

That alone is plenty enough reason for me.

OH I built my garage door tall enough (8') to allow full height truck and my garage is a full 25' deep. So no compromise there!

Plain and simple why wouldn't a person want the most bed space???

You made this "AGAIN" about "YOU", he asked about HIS compromise with HIS short bed .

I have had both long, and short beds, prefer the short bed. It seems like the long bed guys, make this about the room in the bed, please realize , some do not care about the room in the bed. I sure don't . I don't want a big tool box, I don't want nor need to haul 8' sheets or whatever in the bed.

I have a rock solid rail mount Andersen hitch, and no need for a crane, two people, or taking the hitch apart to remove. No compromise there, even eliminated the need for a slider .

As said I don't need or want a huge tool box that I can carry enough tools to build a house or overhaul a truck . I have a three drawer craftsman toolbox that sits in the basement of the fifth wheel that has everything I NEED .

When I built my house , the garage is 51' deep, and 9' on the door , can park any truck I want. It boils down to individual needs .I don't need , and don't want a long bed, its really that simple.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> long bed vs short bed for towing 5th wheel RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS