Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: long bed vs short bed for towing 5th wheel RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> long bed vs short bed for towing 5th wheel RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

transamz9 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

Either one is a compromise.

Please explain my compromise???

I have a rock solid B&W hitch that is attached directly to the frame in 4 places that I don't have to worry about sliding.

I have a HighwayProducts Top Quality 30" front to back bed height tool box for any tools I want to carry.

I have plenty of room besides in bed space.

I park anywhere "I" want.

I have a better ride and stability over comparable short bed.

OH ****!!! I can't fit it in my GARAGE. BUT, BUT on second thought I could if I removed the pool table from MY Garage.

Tell me my compromise with my short bed......

If he's too dense to figure out that the compromises go both ways, nobody is going to benefit from trying to explain it to him.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Greene728

Newnan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/18 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

transamz9 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

I have a rock solid B&W hitch that is attached directly to the frame in 4 places that I don't have to worry about sliding.

I have a HighwayProducts Top Quality 30" front to back bed height tool box for any tools I want to carry.

OH ****!!! I can't fit it in my GARAGE. BUT, BUT on second thought I could if I removed the pool table from MY Garage.

If he's too dense to figure out that the compromises go both ways, nobody is going to benefit from trying to explain it to him.

Yep. Not to mention everything he has is the best and he tows a combined 33,500 pounds. Lol

2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHX (Traded)
2017 Grand Design 303RLS
2015 Ram 3500 CC 4x4 6.7 Cummins
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/18 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been towing 37ft with my short bed for years. Not one problem.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

transamz9 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

I had a 77 GMC shortie, thought it LOOKED cool. Carpenter was my career, hated the short bed could not put 8' goods inside and lock up and there simply was never enough room.

That alone is plenty enough reason for me.

OH I built my garage door tall enough (8') to allow full height truck and my garage is a full 25' deep. So no compromise there!

Plain and simple why wouldn't a person want the most bed space???

I have 3-8' garage doors and both of my garage and 30' deep...what does that have to do with bed size? That just means I have way more space to store stuff behind my truck.
No one is saying that one is for everyone and one is not. Okay, you had a short bed and didn't like the fact that you couldn't lock 8' stuff in the bed. The way I see it you made it work somehow. It wouldn't matter if I had a 12' bed. I still wouldn't be able to lock the 8' stuff up because I can't have a cover on my truck. I would just own a dedicated cargo trailer for all my stuff and be done with it.

The question of why wouldn't someone want the most bed space....why don't you own a truck with a bigger bed. The bed on my service truck is 12' long with 4' tall bed sides with tool boxes the full height and length of the bed. The back bumper is another two feet long with tool storage in it. So I ask you , why not by a truck with a bed like that? I could mount a fifth wheel hutch right on the bumper and roll out.

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

transamz9 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

Nice! Doesn’t take too long for the name calling.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of defensive comments as usual.

Did I say one bad word about others owning short bed trucks???

Simply amazing.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greene728 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

transamz9 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

IdaD wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Why compromise???

Yep. Not to mention everything he has is the best and he tows a combined 33,500 pounds. Lol

And another one.

Of course I think what I own is the best! If I find it’s not I buy what is.

I simply do my best NOT to compromise.

Nice this has turned about me. Why not tell the poor guy WHY you think a short or long bed is best like he asked ang give reasons why and let him decide.

Guess that’s too boring.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goofasap! wrote:

Will be looking to purchase a 5th wheel 30-37' & a tow vehicle

For a trailer that long, I'd go long bed, 1 ton for sure.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/18 11:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends how you use the truck. For me it has to be a short bed due to my job. I'm in urban areas parking in tight spots regularly. No way I would get into many of the places I do with an extra 2' of bed behind me. I regularly parallel park on tight residential streets where there just isn't the length between cars for a long bed.

This is just a classic trade-off and depends how and where you use your truck. I have a slider hitch and am glad I do. I have a newer 5th that doesn't seem like it would ever hit my cab but I like having the ability to move the trailer back to prevent making contact on the back corners of my bed as I'm parking beside my house. My driveway slopes down pretty sharply from the street and as the trailer is going down and my rear wheels are still going up the driveway apron, it get pretty close.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/18 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome thread guys!
The level of obtusiveness (is that a word) is simply astounding!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> long bed vs short bed for towing 5th wheel RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS