Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: It's getting easier
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> It's getting easier

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

Good for you using a hitch height measuring stick. Weve been using one for years, recommend it to all I see having problems getting the tongue or hitch height right.
Now mark your slide out widths on the stick so that you can be walk around be certain of clearance from the hook ups, trees etc. before you unhook.
I do it a bit different, with the stick. I measure the unloaded height of the 5er hitch in the truck and cut my 1 x 2 a 1/2" shorter than that height. If the ground is uneven from hitch to camper- your method- it could change things.
Stick cut to 1/2" shorter than plate height when stood up leaning on pin box, then falls when pinbox is raised to proper hitch height is perfect for hooking up on even uneven ground. It also allows for that little bit of weight onto the tow to alleviate 'high pinning'
When unhooking, I raise until the pin raises a tiny bit off the plate, then lower it back down a bit to ensure an easy stress free unhook. That is the truckers method. They know.

I've never seen a driver use this method....when unhooking a big truck we just drop the gear till it hits and then 1 or two more cranks. Pull out. The gear is not moved afterwards so its always at the right place to hook back up.

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 03:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems lot of you guys overthink things. I just get it close then back up to the hitch. If it's not right I get out and push the up or down button till it is in the tight place then back under. Pretty simple.

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pretty much judge the height may have to get in and out once but I keep it low so when I back under it lifts a little so there is no high hitching. Also noticed last month I had my pin box raised so while watching the guy lift the trailer,i could of swore he was lifting my dually of the ground. But then I could see it lift up 1/4 of an inch out of the hitch. Iam so used to pulling out and the trailer drop a little not any more. And a secret I do to back under and line up . My child restraint in the back seat sticks up and is dead center to my hitch. So line up the latch to the pin box and hit it every time.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

transamz9 wrote:

It seems lot of you guys overthink things. I just get it close then back up to the hitch. If it's not right I get out and push the up or down button till it is in the tight place then back under. Pretty simple.

I get it your method works. But my auto level will automatically return to hitching height.
There are also techniques and gadgets that will eliminate the need to get out and check because the height is known to be correct!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/18 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one_strange_texan wrote:

Lube using the manufacturer's recommended lubricant. Mine is WD-40.

I've never owned a 5th wheel. The manufacturer really recommends WD 40 as a lubricant?
I use WD 40 for everything except lubrication, it seems to dry up quickly.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

one_strange_texan wrote:

Lube using the manufacturer's recommended lubricant. Mine is WD-40.

I've never owned a 5th wheel. The manufacturer really recommends WD 40 as a lubricant?
I use WD 40 for everything except lubrication, it seems to dry up quickly.

Not to mention that WD-40 attracts dust/dirt/grime. Why not just spray the the hitch at beginning of season w/ the grey graphite stuff? Have done it this way for several years w/o a prob and no dirt etc on pivot points.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WD-40 is a water displacement product. It's not a lubricant. That's what the "WD" stands for. Personally, I use White Lithium Grease from a spray can. A little spritz before each trip on the jaws and pivoting area and I'm good. Once a year grease through the Zerk fittings and it will be fine.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

transamz9 wrote:

X2!
I sight across the bottom of the pin, when it looks high enough to clear the 5er TG, I backup usually hit the hitch about 1.5" to 2" low and just ride up the ramp.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport, if I may ask how tall are you? Have you considered full length running boards for your TV? Running boards were the first requirement by DW, I got a set of wheel to wheel and have easy access to the bed. I am 6' so if you are shorter I can see an issue.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/18 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to be careful with pinbox height or I'll catch the lube plate on the hitch and snap it off. BTDT a couple of time. [emoticon] Even with the 4-point and "memory", it's never quite right and I end up having to tweak the height just a bit. I do have the tilt spring from B&W on my Companion, but it doesn't work all that well. My solution is a rubber bungee cord hooked to the side plates and stretched up over the big bolt that tilts the head plate. Head's =always= tilted down with this method! [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> It's getting easier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS