cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key West Parking (32 foot)

cardtarget
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, we are staying at John Pennekamp state park after Christmas and we're hoping to drive down to Key West the day before we check in. Question is, where can we park?

I haven't found a reasonable way to rent a car... so thinking just driving the RV down there might make sense.

I see other people recommending Sears or other big box store parking lots and taking a cab in. But most of those posts are 5-7 years old. Is that still a think? Is it allowed?

We would likely arrive around 10-11 AM and leave by 4-5 PM... so just need somewhere for the RV to chill for a few hours. Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's an enterprise rental in Key Largo and it's about $70/day. I think you are better off doing that than driving the RV into KW. You could park at Searstown, I've seen RV's there, but not sure how much they enforce parking, or back on Stock Island,maybe at Leo's or Boyd's storage lot, but then you will need to take a taxi into Old Town and back, so you will have spent nearly as much as renting a car. Christmas to New Years is the busiest time of the year in KW so everything is crowded. We'll be there, as usual, for the holidays.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
How long are you staying at the state park? Check out keys Shuttle (12 passenger van), Greyhound, car rental, the bus. It is a 2 hour drive without accidents by car and much longer with bus stops. We have not used any of the buses or shuttle. We did rent a car for the day and drove up to Bahia Honda from KW. There are many places to check out just getting to KW. You could rent a car for a day (8 am to 8 am next day) for $75 +/-. Head out early and come back later. Watch out for key deer especially at night on Big Pine Key. Hit one, big fine. There is a city parking garage at 300 Grinnel, $32/day or $4/hr. ($4! Yeah 2 beers w/tip was $10 about 5 yrs ago in May) Did I say bring lots of money? This garage is near the harbor aka bight, fun area. You can walk everywhere if you are able. Keyweststeps.com will tell you distance between places. As said the streets are narrow and crowded. It is a cool place you will be glad you have the whole day! On the drive back you will be planning your next trip to KW. There is a current thread on this forum about the Keys drive and KW.Have fun! Marcia
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Key West come's alive after dark. Its an experience you don't wanna miss, you DONT Wanna tow a camper all the way Down. its a slow pace drive. your campsite might open early
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I rode my motorcycle there in 2010 and parking for it was limited. Dang crowded place.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
There was a large open parking lot near the west end of Simonton St. It is a private lot and cost vary.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Home depot grocery store. Free buses loop down town. Don't try to park in town.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
It’s hard enough finding parking for a car down there. And you would be taking a very real risk of getting impounded if you leave it parked at a store for several hours. Maybe find out if you can park at the place you have reservations for an additional fee if arriving before check in time. There are busses every 30 minutes or so. Money well spent, Especially if you’re going to visit one of those 70 bars in key west
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not advisable, menuvering my 24'dually around was a chore, narrow streets, uncooperative drivers, etc.. Plus, it is illegal to park anything on the streets over 20' long with out a permit, mandatory fine and tow.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore